St. Paddy's day

foxhd
foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
Paddy, Sean and Seamus were staggering their way home from a night of tossing back a few Guiness.Anyway, they stumble upon a few old stone markers on the side of the road. Paddy says," Aye,this here fellow lived to the ripe old age of 88. His name is O'grady". Sean States, " And this fellow was 91, O'Toole he was called." Seamus announces, " this one says 145!..it's Miles from Dublin".

What was the name of the Irishman who spent the whole winter out on the back porch?

Paddy O' Furniture!!

Comments

• j_rod
    j_rod Member Posts: 125
    HA HA
    Thanks for the laugh foxhd. PS - I have been looking for a thread on drinking - I know I saw one earlier, but I can't find it now. Here is my story - I will come clean today. I used to 'unwind' on Friday night after work. That was all. Then, when my mom was diagnosed with cancer in May 2010, I started drinking more often. I know it was just to make it all go away - but it became night after night. Hers was stage 4 and mets everywhere - she had had it for a long time. Then came my diagnosis,firt discovered on a ct scan Sept. 23, 2011.Finally biopsied on Dec. 30 and positive for papillary cancer. I thought I would slow up on the drinking, at at times I have nothing for a week, but then I start in again and get drunk every night. It is two weeks before my operation. I know I am supposed to stop all meds and drinking before, so I guess I feel I need support from all of you. I know I can live without it, but it has become a habit that when the stress is high, I aleviate it the fastest way I know how - drinking. There weather here is wonderful lately and I have been going for long walks, and I mowed the yard yesterday. Just looking for support and anyone with similar feelings - like loss of control and the need to make it all go away.
  • livealive
    livealive Member Posts: 127
    j_rod said:

HA HA
    Thanks for the laugh foxhd. PS - I have been looking for a thread on drinking - I know I saw one earlier, but I can't find it now. Here is my story - I will come clean today. I used to 'unwind' on Friday night after work. That was all. Then, when my mom was diagnosed with cancer in May 2010, I started drinking more often. I know it was just to make it all go away - but it became night after night. Hers was stage 4 and mets everywhere - she had had it for a long time. Then came my diagnosis,firt discovered on a ct scan Sept. 23, 2011.Finally biopsied on Dec. 30 and positive for papillary cancer. I thought I would slow up on the drinking, at at times I have nothing for a week, but then I start in again and get drunk every night. It is two weeks before my operation. I know I am supposed to stop all meds and drinking before, so I guess I feel I need support from all of you. I know I can live without it, but it has become a habit that when the stress is high, I aleviate it the fastest way I know how - drinking. There weather here is wonderful lately and I have been going for long walks, and I mowed the yard yesterday. Just looking for support and anyone with similar feelings - like loss of control and the need to make it all go away.

Drinking and addiction
    I a m not sure I understood that right, but one way or other, drinking wil kill. Either by a vehicle, or liver damage, or maybe the cancer. There are known benefits for red wine some say, but when you expose someone who "knows" they can live without drinking, and yet can't it speaks of an illusion of the human mind, and for such individuals the risk of that 1 to 2 glasses of wine outweigh the benefits they might other derive were they controlled, so, stop cold turkey or try, failure is there to give you another opportuniy at trying. The way I would offer my 2 cents, or less, take it a moment at a time, I am not going to do it NOW, maybe later, we are all dealing with later issues and what if's anyway, so later we will see later, so when by habit or otherwise you ach for the bottle, the ice,the glass, become aware of what you are doing, what is causing it, awareness of the feeling will help, and stay in not now. Forgive me if I misunderstood your email, and offered useless, meaningless, or even a stupid suggestion,
    Raj.
  • j_rod
    livealive said:

Drinking and addiction
    I a m not sure I understood that right, but one way or other, drinking wil kill. Either by a vehicle, or liver damage, or maybe the cancer. There are known benefits for red wine some say, but when you expose someone who "knows" they can live without drinking, and yet can't it speaks of an illusion of the human mind, and for such individuals the risk of that 1 to 2 glasses of wine outweigh the benefits they might other derive were they controlled, so, stop cold turkey or try, failure is there to give you another opportuniy at trying. The way I would offer my 2 cents, or less, take it a moment at a time, I am not going to do it NOW, maybe later, we are all dealing with later issues and what if's anyway, so later we will see later, so when by habit or otherwise you ach for the bottle, the ice,the glass, become aware of what you are doing, what is causing it, awareness of the feeling will help, and stay in not now. Forgive me if I misunderstood your email, and offered useless, meaningless, or even a stupid suggestion,
    Raj.

illusion
    I guess I am hoping that by publicly saying I have a problem, I will open this up so that the illusion is no longer an illusion. I hope I can begin to heal whatever is bugging me.Your words were helpful Raj. Thanks.
  • MikeK703
    MikeK703 Member Posts: 235
    livealive said:

Drinking and addiction
    Raj.

You answered your own question
    Raj,
    Good advice here, I think. And I believe you answered your own question to Iceman in another posting -- how do you not worry? As you said here, you stop cold turkey or you try to, and also, become aware of what you are doing, what's causing it, etc... Makes sense to me for stopping a booze problem as well as a worry problem.
    Regards,
    Mike
  • Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798
    MikeK703 said:

You answered your own question
    Raj,
    Good advice here, I think. And I believe you answered your own question to Iceman in another posting -- how do you not worry? As you said here, you stop cold turkey or you try to, and also, become aware of what you are doing, what's causing it, etc... Makes sense to me for stopping a booze problem as well as a worry problem.
    Regards,
    Mike

Alcohol problem
    j_rod, is your fiance aware of your problem and is he able to give you support for it? If he thinks it is understandable he would be right but he must also help you to beat it and additional help may be necessary for you both at this time.
  • j_rod

Alcohol problem
    j_rod, is your fiance aware of your problem and is he able to give you support for it? If he thinks it is understandable he would be right but he must also help you to beat it and additional help may be necessary for you both at this time.

tex
    I might tell you more later. He does know - he lives with me. Without telling you the whole story, let's suffice it to say that he is an alcoholic - and he has never not drank in the 5 years I've known him. My choice to drink is made easier because he is a drinker as well. I will say that I know I am not to drink prior to the surgery so I am 'on the wagon' right now. I am thinking that this tumor might be a blessing - it might be the start of good things.
  • Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798
    j_rod said:

tex
    I might tell you more later. He does know - he lives with me. Without telling you the whole story, let's suffice it to say that he is an alcoholic - and he has never not drank in the 5 years I've known him. My choice to drink is made easier because he is a drinker as well. I will say that I know I am not to drink prior to the surgery so I am 'on the wagon' right now. I am thinking that this tumor might be a blessing - it might be the start of good things.

New start
    j_rod, it could be indeed, and I can't tell you how much I hope that it will be for both of you.
  • foxhd

New start
    j_rod, it could be indeed, and I can't tell you how much I hope that it will be for both of you.

substitute
    Hardly the right person to address this situation. But, it seems to me that to break any bad habit, one needs to replace it with another. So don't drink. Smoke pot.....ONLY KIDDING!!!! Don't do that!!! Seriously, Correct me if I am wrong, but alternative behaviors need to be available when the urge to indulge is present. Smokers chew gum or suck on candy. I don't know the answer for replacing alcohol. Something acceptable needs to be available. Hobbies?, exercise? green tea? I'm sure others have far more experience professionally or personally to offer more sane advice. Primary MD's. are a good start. Good luck getting this under control.
  • j_rod
    foxhd said:

substitute
    Hardly the right person to address this situation. But, it seems to me that to break any bad habit, one needs to replace it with another. So don't drink. Smoke pot.....ONLY KIDDING!!!! Don't do that!!! Seriously, Correct me if I am wrong, but alternative behaviors need to be available when the urge to indulge is present. Smokers chew gum or suck on candy. I don't know the answer for replacing alcohol. Something acceptable needs to be available. Hobbies?, exercise? green tea? I'm sure others have far more experience professionally or personally to offer more sane advice. Primary MD's. are a good start. Good luck getting this under control.

thanks for the great idea foxhd...
    ....and don't think it hasn't crossed my mind - you know, just for medicinal purposes:) But I made it through today without any alcohol. I know I can do it. It's just easier to drink than to not drink. I actually prefer the way I feel without drinking. I sleep better too. I found the online AA version of meetings today and registered. It is good that it is there...it does help to know they are there. I think it will be a better outlet for that particular issue as I would like to keep this site for my kidney issue. Two weeks and I will have it out - and it will be over ...for a while.
  • livealive
    j_rod said:

thanks for the great idea foxhd...
    ....and don't think it hasn't crossed my mind - you know, just for medicinal purposes:) But I made it through today without any alcohol. I know I can do it. It's just easier to drink than to not drink. I actually prefer the way I feel without drinking. I sleep better too. I found the online AA version of meetings today and registered. It is good that it is there...it does help to know they are there. I think it will be a better outlet for that particular issue as I would like to keep this site for my kidney issue. Two weeks and I will have it out - and it will be over ...for a while.

Supprt
    Hey JR, if you ever want to talk, send me your #, I can call you, and maybe any help.
    I need to finish tax stuff, so you made a start, so well begun is half done. Failure gives you opportunity to try again, but we'll see how it goes.
    Pat on the back ;-)
  • j_rod
    livealive said:

Supprt
    Hey JR, if you ever want to talk, send me your #, I can call you, and maybe any help.
    I need to finish tax stuff, so you made a start, so well begun is half done. Failure gives you opportunity to try again, but we'll see how it goes.
    Pat on the back ;-)

hey everyone
    thanks for the support. I found the online AA and it is very helpful. Today is day two and I am not drinking. It will be two more weeks until my surgery.
  • j_rod
    livealive said:

Supprt
    Pat on the back ;-)

hey everyone
    thanks for the support. I found the online AA and it is very helpful. Today is day two and I am not drinking. It will be two more weeks until my surgery.
  • j_rod
    livealive said:

Supprt
    Pat on the back ;-)

hey everyone
  • foxhd
    j_rod said:

hey everyone

support
    Now, we'll take care of your stuttering!
  • MikeK703
    MikeK703 Member Posts: 235
    foxhd said:

support

Stuttering
    Fox,
    "Now we'll take care of your stuttering!" Now THAT made me laugh! Thanks.
    Mike
  • j_rod
    foxhd said:

support

funny foxhd
    day 2 went well, too. I will never get the hang of this touch pad thing.
  • livealive
    j_rod said:

funny foxhd
    day 2 went well, too. I will never get the hang of this touch pad thing.

Something's working for JR
    So something's working JR, we will tolerate the stuttering if you keep this going.
  • foxhd
    livealive said:

Something's working for JR
    So something's working JR, we will tolerate the stuttering if you keep this going.

Good Job
    Good Job J rod! Keep it up!!
    Fly, Fox loves ya!
  • j_rod
    foxhd said:

Good Job
    Fly, Fox loves ya!

day 3
    Going well. I had a great day at school until the class trouble maker started his nonsense and his gang followed him at 10 minutes before the bell...So then he could up and leave.So if I go by percentage ... let's see...OK ... I'm not a math teacher. but 99.3055555% was good.
  • j_rod
    foxhd said:

Good Job
    Fly, Fox loves ya!

day 3
    Going well. I had a great day at school until the class trouble maker started his nonsense and his gang followed him at 10 minutes before the bell...So then he could up and leave.So if I go by percentage ... let's see...OK ... I'm not a math teacher. but 99.3055555% was good.