winter marie

janderson1964
janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
I read your stoey yesterday while getting treatment. What a great story. You are just more proof that the doctors can't predict how long we are going to live and that we need to be in control of our treatments and doctors. It is awesome that you are now working on a degree.That is just another way of slapping cancer in the face. That is the way i feel everytime i mountain bike,weight lift, or kayak.

Jeff

Comments

• Varmint5
    Varmint5 Member Posts: 384 Member
    I love her story too!
    I think she is just amazing and love reading her story of not just surviving but thriving - I think it is wonderful. She gives me such hope for my daughter, 32 years old with stage IV currently in treatment. You give me hope too! Love your last comment on your profile. Thanks.
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Thank you
    Thank you to both of you. I had to go look at my profile again. Life is wonderful, and I love that you're out there doing your physical joys, I actually am hoping to go out in a kayak in the Monterey Bay this year (I live a few blocks from it)and I've always wanted to do it, but I've just disliked being in a boat in the ocean away from land, which can sort of be a turn off to that activity. But it's something my ancestors did, and by golly I've got to give it a try, I actually think I might like it.
    There are more then me on this board who have proven that there is NO time limit, unlike what we've been told, I'm just glad to be one of them!!
    I think without all the others here that have encouraged me on the way, I may not have looked forward to life before, but every time I got down and pessimistic they just got busy and lifted me right out of the doom and gloom and told me to get my rear in gear and enjoy life. So that's what I've been trying to do, to make them proud (Craig, Clift, Jennie, Maggie, Cheryl, and heck, the list goes on and on, I'd have to list about everyone!!)and I ended up being proud of myself and I think that each of us fighting this the best way we know how should all stand tall be proud.
    Winter Marie
  • janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member

Thank you
    Thank you to both of you. I had to go look at my profile again. Life is wonderful, and I love that you're out there doing your physical joys, I actually am hoping to go out in a kayak in the Monterey Bay this year (I live a few blocks from it)and I've always wanted to do it, but I've just disliked being in a boat in the ocean away from land, which can sort of be a turn off to that activity. But it's something my ancestors did, and by golly I've got to give it a try, I actually think I might like it.
    There are more then me on this board who have proven that there is NO time limit, unlike what we've been told, I'm just glad to be one of them!!
    I think without all the others here that have encouraged me on the way, I may not have looked forward to life before, but every time I got down and pessimistic they just got busy and lifted me right out of the doom and gloom and told me to get my rear in gear and enjoy life. So that's what I've been trying to do, to make them proud (Craig, Clift, Jennie, Maggie, Cheryl, and heck, the list goes on and on, I'd have to list about everyone!!)and I ended up being proud of myself and I think that each of us fighting this the best way we know how should all stand tall be proud.
    Winter Marie

I really agree with your
    I really agree with your last comment. I think we are all heroes to each other and the people around who have been fortunate enough not to experience cancer.
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member

I really agree with your
    I really agree with your last comment. I think we are all heroes to each other and the people around who have been fortunate enough not to experience cancer.

Out of curiosity.....
    how do you retain what you read? I'm trying to teach myself elementary biology and i'll be damned if i can remember what i had read yesterday!!!! (i can probably tell you what i did forty years ago better than what i did yesterday as well) .....While i've regained my crossword-finishing ability--one measure i used of how chemo had affected my brain--my verbal vocabulary has suffered when conversing with others and my short-term memory is somewhere else...keep on learning
  • herdizziness
    coloCan said:

Out of curiosity.....
    how do you retain what you read? I'm trying to teach myself elementary biology and i'll be damned if i can remember what i had read yesterday!!!! (i can probably tell you what i did forty years ago better than what i did yesterday as well) .....While i've regained my crossword-finishing ability--one measure i used of how chemo had affected my brain--my verbal vocabulary has suffered when conversing with others and my short-term memory is somewhere else...keep on learning

HaHA
    I don't, I'm struggling in math right now, because I have to relearn each step all over everyday, I've learned to get up 3 or 4 hours earlier and go over everything each day in math, because each day it looks like jibberish to me, the more we learn, the earlier I have to get up to try and keep up.
    As for my other classes, I take copious notes on everything I read, write everything as fast as possible in class (If I take too long I actually forgot what half a sentence that the professor mentioned that quick)it isn't easy, it's been probably the hardest thing I've done due to memory problems. Before each test I take everything I've written notes on, narrow it down to two pages and get up early before the test and re-read everything, and re-read again outside the class while I'm waiting to get in. It seems to work. I admit, not easy at all, I've never had it so hard trying to retain something in my life, so don't feel alone by any means!!! Keep on trying and learning!!!
    Winter Marie
  • Varmint5
    Varmint5 Member Posts: 384 Member

HaHA
    I don't, I'm struggling in math right now, because I have to relearn each step all over everyday, I've learned to get up 3 or 4 hours earlier and go over everything each day in math, because each day it looks like jibberish to me, the more we learn, the earlier I have to get up to try and keep up.
    As for my other classes, I take copious notes on everything I read, write everything as fast as possible in class (If I take too long I actually forgot what half a sentence that the professor mentioned that quick)it isn't easy, it's been probably the hardest thing I've done due to memory problems. Before each test I take everything I've written notes on, narrow it down to two pages and get up early before the test and re-read everything, and re-read again outside the class while I'm waiting to get in. It seems to work. I admit, not easy at all, I've never had it so hard trying to retain something in my life, so don't feel alone by any means!!! Keep on trying and learning!!!
    Winter Marie

College as an adult...
    Winter Marie - I had trouble with all that too! I went to nursing school as an adult and the notes and remembering everything was so hard! So I had a system - I would take the best notes I could and then I would go home and type them out, paying attention to what I was typing. Then I would read them into a tape recorder and listen to the recording. I would also go into the textbooks and type out everything highlighted or in little boxes and read that into the tape recorder to play back. It seemed like using several senses and working with the information in several different ways helped me retain it. It paid off at test time and I wasn't so stressed! And I found that I was having to spend a lot less time on "homework" and studying. Might be worth a try! I'll bet you type fast like I do. I can read something over and over and not remember a word of it, so I have to use other methods. Now the math... good luck with that! Yuck!
  • herdizziness
    Varmint5 said:

College as an adult...
    Winter Marie - I had trouble with all that too! I went to nursing school as an adult and the notes and remembering everything was so hard! So I had a system - I would take the best notes I could and then I would go home and type them out, paying attention to what I was typing. Then I would read them into a tape recorder and listen to the recording. I would also go into the textbooks and type out everything highlighted or in little boxes and read that into the tape recorder to play back. It seemed like using several senses and working with the information in several different ways helped me retain it. It paid off at test time and I wasn't so stressed! And I found that I was having to spend a lot less time on "homework" and studying. Might be worth a try! I'll bet you type fast like I do. I can read something over and over and not remember a word of it, so I have to use other methods. Now the math... good luck with that! Yuck!

LOL
    I guess I shouldn't have said write, I take my iPad and my iPad keyboard and type, I can usually type everything, yes, learned in third grade was typing 50 wpm then, then last time I was tested on a manual it was 72, and on a IBM selectric it was 120 wpm. Never tested on computer LOL. Thanks for the hints.
    Winter Marie