Varmint5

wolfen
wolfen Member Posts: 1,324 Member
Have not seen any recent posts from you and was just wondering how your daughter is doing. Hope all is going well.

Luv,

Wolfen

Comments

• Varmint5
    Varmint5 Member Posts: 384 Member
    Thank you, Wolfen! Still here...
    My daughter had her colon resection on Apr. 23 and is now recovering. There were some bumps - she developed an infection in the drain and incision and had a wound to pack, but they are resolving. I just came back home last night - haven't had time to get on here and read, much less post, although I wanted to so many times! I forgot how busy little babies keep you.

Her treatment, when it resumes, will target the liver now. I know the onc wants to finish the Folfox course and add Avastin, which she hasn't been able to take yet because of blood clots and being on Lovenox. From there, I don't know...

I heard from her today and she is cleaning the basement "man cave," said she is going to vacuum and I talked her out of that (I hope!) since she is only three weeks out from surgery. I hope to have more time now to read and respond more.

Hope all is well with you and your own daughter johnnybegood.
  • wolfen
    wolfen Member Posts: 1,324 Member
    Varmint5 said:

My daughter had her colon resection on Apr. 23 and is now recovering. There were some bumps - she developed an infection in the drain and incision and had a wound to pack, but they are resolving. I just came back home last night - haven't had time to get on here and read, much less post, although I wanted to so many times! I forgot how busy little babies keep you.

Her treatment, when it resumes, will target the liver now. I know the onc wants to finish the Folfox course and add Avastin, which she hasn't been able to take yet because of blood clots and being on Lovenox. From there, I don't know...

I heard from her today and she is cleaning the basement "man cave," said she is going to vacuum and I talked her out of that (I hope!) since she is only three weeks out from surgery. I hope to have more time now to read and respond more.

Feeling Better
    I'm glad that she is feeling better and has made it over those "bumps". She does sound like a very determined young lady and that is a great part of this battle. But she shouldn't overdo it as you have pointed out.

I had to laugh at the "little babies keep you busy". I remember all too well when my youngest grandchild was a newborn. His mother thought motherhood ended when she got off the delivery table, so I ended up keeping the baby in my room and getting up with him every two hours at night, while I was working 10 hour days. I finally told my son I needed him to alternate feeding times with me, and he said, "But Mom, I thought you were used to it". I was, but it was a lot harder at 50 than it had been at 30.LOL The mother left the baby with us and hasn't been back, but that's another story.

JBG is, of course, back on her lifetime chemo which makes her very ill and creates horrible intestinal spasms. If anyone knows of any relief from this, please chime in. She'll be having another scan in a few weeks to see if the lung tumors are responding.

Please take care and post again when you have time.

Wolfen
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Varmint5 said:

Good!
    I'm glad your daughter is doing well, but I hope she'll listen to you and not take it too fast. She needs to give her body time to recover.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • Varmint5
    Varmint5 Member Posts: 384 Member
    tootsie1 said:

Good!
    I'm glad your daughter is doing well, but I hope she'll listen to you and not take it too fast. She needs to give her body time to recover.

*hugs*
    Gail

Thank you, Gail...
    I agree. I spoke with her tonight and she did not vacuum, thank God. She just dusted and even that wore her out a bit. I'm hoping that next week the Dr. will release her to pick up her baby (16 lbs) and drive - it will be 4 weeks. That would make her feel much better. But if he doesn't I hope she will comply. We don't need any more complications. She lost 11 lbs from this surgery. I guess that's to be expected - she had clear liquids before the surgery and then nothing but ice chips for several days after until her bowel sounds returned, then back to liquids and has not had much appetite since then. She really has no weight reserve any more. I hope the weight starts going back the other way. She is so thin.

Wolfen, my daughter has been on Folfox and had horrible nausea and vomiting despite Zofran and Ativan for the nausea. She had a bad reaction to compazine. She gets several drugs with her infusions at the cancer center - can't remember the names, Emend maybe is one of them, another beginning with an A. But what finally worked for her was the Sancuso patch. It worked like a miracle - no nausea at all. Her infusion starts on Wednesday morning and runs through Friday. She puts the patch on Friday morning and leaves it on a week. Her bad symptoms had been starting on Monday following the treatment. I don't know what kind of side effects Johnnybegood is having, but if nausea is one of them she should check out the Sancuso patch.
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Oh Heck
    I thought I was the only grandma out here being with grandchildren daily and nightly!!! So nice to know I'm not alone. I now have Clifford the Big Red Doggy memorized along with the Barnyard Dance!!
    So glad to hear your daughter is doing well, I know I felt like getting crazy with housekeeping on my third week home, and everyone here informed me to put the brakes on for at least another week, so am glad your daughter listened to you.
    As for the nausea, I'm in California and had access to my "special" brownies, cookies and such, so that I never suffered from any nausea, is your daughter in such a state that it is legal like mine? It does wonders.
    And on a bright note "Here's the butterfly, here's the flower, but where is the big red doggie?"
    LOL
    Winter Marie