New to the group

dreaming
dreaming Member Posts: 26 Member
Hello everybody,this year it will be 20 years from dx of breast cancer,in January I was diagnosed with basal cell carcinoma on my face.
I have long term side effects from chemo,and still gets afraid when I go for my yearly exams.
I am curious if anybody that had chemo suffers of long term side effects.

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    who knows?
    Sometimes it isn't easy to know what is causing the health problem. I'm having a couple problems but don't know where to place the blame. I was diagnosed in 2003 with breast cancer. 2006 with Parkinson's which was changed to Corticobasal Degeneration last year when I changed neurologists. Don't know what causes it.
  • cathyp
    cathyp Member Posts: 376 Member
    Long-Term Effects of Treatment
    Have you checked out the other discussion board on this site?
    "Long-Term Effects of Treatment". You may find what you are looking for there. Both chemo and radiation have LT effects for some. I had Hodgkins Lymphoma in 1989 and 1994 and have been battling and managing LT effects, breast cancer and cardiac complications to name a few.
    Best wishes,
    Cathy
  • neons356
    neons356 Member Posts: 57 Member
    19 years NED
    I was dx colon cancer in '93. radiation, chemo, permanent colostomy. I would say that the most noticeable long term effect for me is short term memory loss. I have to make sure and write things down and not rely on my remembering them. Radiation also caused some bone loss, which was most noticeable in my mouth. Many teeth came loose and had to be removed. Fortunately for me that stopped after about 5 years, so I still have about half of them left. As far as I'm concerned it's a small price to pay for beating the beast.