Limited SCLC - results?

tdejonge7684
tdejonge7684 Member Posts: 11
My dad was diagnosed with SCLC 12/27/2011 and began chemotherapy today.

The pulmanologist originally said he would stage it as 3b and basically gave him a very limited amount of time. The oncologist yesterday seemed very optimistic saying the bone and brain scans came back showing the cancer was still in just one lung. The oncologist said there are no stages for SCLC other then limited and extensive.

My dad has limited SCLC and the oncologist used the word "cured" several times while explaining the chemo/radiation treatment.

Has anyone else had limited SCLC and how did it respond to treatment and what has been your outcome so far?

I have searched alot and really only see references to stages 1234 not limited/extensive.

Thanks

Comments

• Radioactive34
    Radioactive34 Member Posts: 391 Member
    I have a variation of SCLC.
    I have a variation of SCLC. My treatment is the same. The following link has the protocols and current staging of SCLC.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/small-cell-lung/healthprofessional/page1

The stats are kind of grim. Taken them with a grain of salt. Each fight is unique.
  • tdejonge7684

I have a variation of SCLC.
    I have a variation of SCLC. My treatment is the same. The following link has the protocols and current staging of SCLC.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/small-cell-lung/healthprofessional/page1

The stats are kind of grim. Taken them with a grain of salt. Each fight is unique.

I have read that and am just
    I have read that and am just wondering if there are people here who have had LIMITED sclc. I am just wondering with limited how well people are doing after they have completed treatment and if anyone is disease free.

Thanks
  • Radioactive34
    Radioactive34 Member Posts: 391 Member

I have read that and am just
    I have read that and am just wondering if there are people here who have had LIMITED sclc. I am just wondering with limited how well people are doing after they have completed treatment and if anyone is disease free.

Thanks

Limited
    The staging is confusing and difficult to read. You could probably stick me in the limited category. I am considered NED..no evidence of disease. I have only officially been NED since October 2011. But they had NED since the tumor was taken out. Chemo was done because of the highly aggressive nature of the cancer....A just in case thing.

I am doing ok. I was fairly healthy prior to the start of chemo. Recovering from chemo is still ongoing and expected to take a while. The chemo's really take a toll. I did not do the radiation...personal choice. On top of the chemo, most patients have to recover from that too.

The word cured was not used when speaking about this. The strategy was to survive the first two years without it reoccuring. Then work on surviving 5 years. The years after that were icing on the cake. At least for my type of small cell. Most doctors treat this as a chronic illness.

Stats are grim but there are survivors out there.
  • medi_2
    medi_2 Member Posts: 505 Member
    Hullo!
    I am doing just peachy! Sclc Limited. My onc says I am cured. I guess some Doctors use that phrase; I don't mind. ;)
    Three years this month NED
    Good Luck!!!
    Medi
  • groundhog
    groundhog Member Posts: 44
    medi_2 said:

Hullo!
    I am doing just peachy! Sclc Limited. My onc says I am cured. I guess some Doctors use that phrase; I don't mind. ;)
    Good Luck!!!
    Medi

Hi Medi, and others!!
    Good to see you still posting on the site Medi, it's been awhile for me as I've been busy trying to put things back together. So glad your doing well. Can't believe 3 years for you already, I'm doing just fine too, Another scan in March coming up. So far I think you could say I am about a year and a half NED. There are those of us out here who were fortunate (funny term) to have found our cancers early.
    Best wishes to all, those that fight, and those that endure it with us.
    Now I must hide, groundhog day coming up!!

gh
  • pkaz53
    pkaz53 Member Posts: 84
    groundhog said:

Hi Medi, and others!!
    Good to see you still posting on the site Medi, it's been awhile for me as I've been busy trying to put things back together. So glad your doing well. Can't believe 3 years for you already, I'm doing just fine too, Another scan in March coming up. So far I think you could say I am about a year and a half NED. There are those of us out here who were fortunate (funny term) to have found our cancers early.

gh

Hello tdejonge
    I am doing well sclc limited stage caught very early I finished my last treatment in February of 2004 that makes 8 years my latest cat scan have shown NED.
  • medi_2
    groundhog said:

Hi Medi, and others!!

gh

;)!
    Do you know I read a news article the other day that said Groundhog Day has been found out to NOT be as reliable as other sources??? Do you believe that!!! What is this world coming to...
    snort, snort
    Medi
  • terisilv
    terisilv Member Posts: 1
    pkaz53 said:

Hello tdejonge
    I am doing well sclc limited stage caught very early I finished my last treatment in February of 2004 that makes 8 years my latest cat scan have shown NED.

I love to read posts like yours
    I"m new here. My husband was diagnosed week before last with limited SCLC, one small nodule in the left lung, no cancer anywhere else. He will be starting chemo and radiation this week, very aggressive. He has no other symptoms, has a good appetite, no weight loss, literally nothing. He was just fortunate that a stitch=like pain in his side had good follow up. I'm trying my best to stay off of the grim sites. He's a fighter, and his oncologist says that he has a very good prognosis as it was caught so very early. Keep praying for us.
  • sparkler
    sparkler Member Posts: 1
    OPTIMISTIC
    I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH EXTENSIVE SMALL CELL LUNG CANCER THE END OF 2011. BECAUSE OF THE NATURE OF THE BEAST THINGS PROGRESSED VERY QUICKLY. I HAVE GONE THRU 3 ROUNDS OF CHEMO WITH MY 4TH AT THE END OF THIS MONTH. I HAVE BEEN DOING VERY WELL WITH MINIMAL SIDE
    EFFECTS. THE STAGING IS VERY DIFFERENT THAN NSCLC.
    MY ONO REALLY NEVER USED THE WORD CURE BUT MANAGE. HE SEEMS MUCH MORE OPTOMISTIC THAN IN
    THE BEGINNING. MY TUMOR HAS SHRUNK, I WILL HAVE A CT SCAN MONDAY TO SEE JUST HOW MUCH.
    EVERY BATTLE IS DIFFERENT WITH VERY DIFFERENT RESULTS.
    THE PROGNOSIS FOR LIMITED SMALL CELL IS MUCH BETTER THAN EXTENSIVE AND I AM VERY
    OPTOMISTIC WITH AT LEAST LEARNING TO MANAGE THIS.
    MY RESEARCH ON LINE REALLY WAS VERY DICOURAGING. BUT I FEEL YOUR FRAME OF MIND AND YOUR
    DAD'S IS VITAL IN RECOVERY. YOU HAVE GOT TO BELIEVE THAT YOU CAN OVER COME THIS.
    MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU DAILY. BE STRONG, SPARKLER
  • tdejonge7684
    Thanks for all the
    Thanks for all the replies.

A update -

My dad is on his fourth round of cisplat/vp16 and doing great. He has had little side effects aside from fatigue after the first round.

The oncologist has increased his rounds of chemo from 4 to 6 as the chemo continues to shrink the tumors. He will start radiation soon once daily for 25-30 rounds.

He has been back at work in a very manual labor oriented job all week and is doing fine.

Thanks again for all the replies and support, I will continue to keep this updated for anyone else dealing with SCLC.
  • outofafrica1946
    outofafrica1946 Member Posts: 1
    medi_2 said:

Hullo!
    Good Luck!!!
    Medi

SCLC Limited - left lung and nearby lymph node
    Hi Medi,

I am so thrilled to read your latest update that you are three years NED!! That gives me so much hope! I have just completed two lots of chemo 3 days 3 weeks apart, and radiation twice a day, which comes to an end on Tuesday next week. I have two more chemo treatments to go (Etoposide and Carboplatin), and then I guess I will have a scan done to see whether the tumor has gone. I felt completely wiped out after the combination of chemo and radiation this last time around, and pray that this will get better.

My Onc has also suggested that I have PCI when the scan comes back clear, which I am considering.

I would appreciate any other words of encouragement you can give me.

Thanks so much for all your positive input.
  • medi_2

SCLC Limited - left lung and nearby lymph node
    Hi Medi,

I am so thrilled to read your latest update that you are three years NED!! That gives me so much hope! I have just completed two lots of chemo 3 days 3 weeks apart, and radiation twice a day, which comes to an end on Tuesday next week. I have two more chemo treatments to go (Etoposide and Carboplatin), and then I guess I will have a scan done to see whether the tumor has gone. I felt completely wiped out after the combination of chemo and radiation this last time around, and pray that this will get better.

My Onc has also suggested that I have PCI when the scan comes back clear, which I am considering.

I would appreciate any other words of encouragement you can give me.

Thanks so much for all your positive input.

Hello!
    Looks like we had the exact same thing! I did have PCI but it was my own decision. Many people have had varying degrees of side effects. I did too; a good while after all treatment was done. Hearing problems, a little short term memory loss and dehydration. I am just fine now though and if it gave me an extra 50% chance of no brain cancer, I will take it! As to the chemo I had Etoposide and Cisplatin and did fine though that combo tends to make people ill. I guess I was just too onery ;)
    Anyway I wish you continued good luck! Keep me posted.
    Cheers
    Medi