If your port stopped drawing...what were you told???? UPDATE!!!!!!

idlehunters
idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
edited January 2012 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hey Family!
I have been told by many nurses that my port has one of the smallest work areas they have ever come across. About the size of a pencil eraser. It has worked well for over 2 years but as of about 3 months ago it quit drawing blood. No problems getting chemo put IN but nothing is coming OUT. From all comments from nurses and doctor I took this to be quite the norm. Just something that happens and to expect it. Your port only lasts so long and they say mine "probably" has a lot of scar tissue built up right there and thats why it won't draw no more. I have heard them tell other people at the clinic the same thing...about scar tissue...and its just treated as a common...no big deal thing.

Then I spoke with a friend from here on the boards and he tells me this could indicate blood clots and I should be concerned. Now I am thinking..really??? Craig, I know you have said in the past when you do not get a draw that you get something put in there and it cleans it out and restores blood flow????? Did I get that right? Why is it so important to keep up that blood flow when my people make it sound like...so what??? Just get it out of your arm.

Can I get some opinions here on how your ports work and if we have some that "don't work" 100% like mine and what ya'll do if it don't and opinions on IF IT SHOULD draw or if its no big deal.

Thanks guys!

Jennie

Comments

• Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    It's a Big Deal...
    Jennie

This just happened to me again while I was getting my scope done...it has happened on other ports I've had as well. They couldn't get a return. I had been having s sharp pain or two in my chest above the port area, but dismissed it.

When she asked to access the port and got a funny look on her face, I knew right away what had happened....got right off the scope table and drove down to infusion to get this cleared up.

Go to your infusion center and have them inject some TPA - this is like drano...it helps to dissolve the clots...has to be in the port for at least 30-minutes or so.

After that, they will try to draw blood again - ususally they will get it after that...if it still stays clogged they will refer you to Intervention Radiology where they will inject dye to confirm.

And if it has gone bad, it will need to be replaced...the issue is not whether they can inject in, but can draw out. This could lead to a clot of some type with all the scar tissue buildup around the port from the surgery itself and all of the clumping over time.

I've had 3 of them now - and replaced 2...TPA cleared me up and I'm good to go.

So, try this Jennie...it will either work or won't.

As for Why is it so important to keep up that blood flow when my people make it sound like...so what??? Just get it out of your arm.

"Your people 'ain't' like my people!" LOL!

Seriously though, get it looked and a shot of TPA...we don't want to mess around.

-Craig:)
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Hi Jennie:
    George is on his 3rd port. This one works perfectly. What can happen and happened to George is that a "sheath" forms at the tip of the port so when they draw up, it covers the end and when they push in the sheath moves and the stuff flows in. For a while, George had his blood draws thru his arm. At some point and I don't remember when, we had to go for the TPN at the hospital chemo lab to break up the sheath. They put the TPM in, wait about 30 minutes and see if they get a blood draw. If not, they try it again. After 3 trys with George, nothing. So a radiologist puts dye in and watches it (I think on an x-ray type of machine) to see if the dye flows in properly. With George it didn't so it was on to port #3.

His first port was removed after his 2nd treatment but I don't remember what the problem was, it just didn't work so the second port was put in on the opposite side.

With port #3 I stopped by the colon surgeon's office for a referral and he happened to be there by the desk and he said he is putting this one in, on a Saturday no less. Well, it has worked perfectly. with port #2 when he replaced it he said it looked fine to him, they needed to be a bit more agressive getting it working at the hospital and if we had any further probelms, to call him personally.

Not getting a blood draw does happen and quite often but it is my experience that if they don't get it flowing properly, both in and out, after a while get it checked out before it stops working all together. For now I would not worry too much as long as they say it is working ok but keep a watch on it. If it is a sheath eventually it will cover it and not move out of the way. A sheath is probably the same thing as scar tissue.

If you need anything else send me a pm.

Take care - Tina
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Same Port for 8 Years
    Mine returns blood maybe 70% of the time. I had a Flow Test done and it's fine, it works perfectly.
    It's also a dual port but almost ever since it was put it the return was never consistent.
  • tommycat
    tommycat Member Posts: 790 Member
    Mine was inconsistent too
    Mine was inconsistent too Like Phil's, so sometimes I needed an extra flush, but more often than not, I need fluids. Once I got an IV of fluids, I was able to have a draw. Got to the point where once a week I went and got a slow drip--just to keep the vessels plumped up.
    And these are only the technical terms! ;)
  • tko683
    tko683 Member Posts: 264 Member
    same thing
    Hi Jennie,
    I had a port for 4 years and never once had a problem. My husband however has had the same problem you had. After only a few months they could not get blood out of it and it was hurting him. We ended up back in the hospital and they had to go in and fix it...apparently the catheter part of it was kinked and they went in through his groin with some type of device and pulled the kink out of it. They told him that it does happen sometimes from different things like coughing, vomiting, or in his case throwing a baseball..they said if that didn't work they would have to take it out and put a new one back in. He had the power port. Hope they get yours fixed soon. Hugs, Teri
  • Wenchie
    Wenchie Member Posts: 88
    Port
    Jennie:
    I'm on my 5th port in 7 years (weird issues), however, mine seems to clog up every two weeks due to a sheath forming. I can receive chemo but they can't get a blood return in order to do my blood work. The simple fix for me seems to be Activase. I get the port injected with Activase, I "marinate" for an hour waiting for the sheath to dissolve and then I'm back in business. Ask for Activase!
  • idlehunters
    Wenchie said:

Port
    Jennie:
    I'm on my 5th port in 7 years (weird issues), however, mine seems to clog up every two weeks due to a sheath forming. I can receive chemo but they can't get a blood return in order to do my blood work. The simple fix for me seems to be Activase. I get the port injected with Activase, I "marinate" for an hour waiting for the sheath to dissolve and then I'm back in business. Ask for Activase!

Thanks All....
    Thanks for your input everybody..... I will be talking to my doctor Friday and am requesting the TPA or Activase. Not sure exactly what these are or what the difference is but I am looking into it. Thanks again

Jennie
  • Doc_Hawk
    Doc_Hawk Member Posts: 685
    Plugged port possibly?
    Hi Jennie and everyone else. My first port got infected and had to be removed and a new one installed. I'd only had the first one in for a few treatments, but they could always get a draw pretty easy from it. With my second (and current) port, at first they had to get me almost upside down and into various strange and distorted positions to get a draw. After I moved from Arizona to Utah, the new cancer center cannot get a draw at all from the port. After reading this string, I'm going to ask about the various procedures some have had done to be able to get a draw.
  • plh4gail
    plh4gail Member Posts: 1,238 Member
    Jennie mine had problems a
    Jennie mine had problems a couple of times. They put a medication in called Activase. Its a thrombolytic medication that thins the blood and breaks up clots. The last time they used it for me it took two hours to get my port working. They would try to draw about every 30 minutes and it just didn't want to draw and finally when they almost decided it wasn't going to it worked. Since I've been off chemo since May and only gone in to have my port flushed, it works like a charm every time! Last time it was 2 months in between.

I hope it goes well for you

plh4gail
  • idlehunters
    plh4gail said:

Jennie mine had problems a couple of times. They put a medication in called Activase. Its a thrombolytic medication that thins the blood and breaks up clots. The last time they used it for me it took two hours to get my port working. They would try to draw about every 30 minutes and it just didn't want to draw and finally when they almost decided it wasn't going to it worked. Since I've been off chemo since May and only gone in to have my port flushed, it works like a charm every time! Last time it was 2 months in between.

plh4gail

BS answers about port?????
    I went in Friday for my Vectibix but onc was not there so I did not get to speak with him about my port. I normally just stop by the lab and have them draw from my arm but I wanted to be sure my port would not draw so I requested the draw from the port. Charge nurse right away demanded to know why I was requesting this when "she knows her port don't draw". I told her my concerns about my port and man did she get sour on me! She informed me that the surgeon installed that port for one purpose ONLY...... To receive medication. The ability to draw blood out of that port is a "side benefit" ONLY!!! Not the purpose nor the intent of the port so they therefor do not consider the port to be failing or defective in any way if it does not draw. I told her I wanted that stuff put in there to clean it out and she said "that's ONLY if you have blood clots and you don't have any blood clots" oh really...how the hell do you know that? You got some kind of X-ray vision that you can see in there and see that? She said..well you have no pain....she never even asked me if I had any pain. A few times a week I get sharp pinching pains in that area but never gave it much thought till now. She said she would send a message to the onc but he would not address it until my Jan 31 appointment since it is not an emergency. She made me feel like I was being stupid for even thinking I had a port problem. Phil, you said your port don't draw all the time ....... Is your port checked for clots...ever??? If not, why not? Am I overreacting about this port not drawing because that is how they are making me feel. I just want to know all is ok. I have read that once a port stops drawing it is a prelude to a total malfunction ...not always but in a lot of cases. I just feel like if I do maintenance on my port and keep it fine tuned that I may prevent having to get another. IS that wrong???

Jennie
  • idlehunters
    plh4gail said:

plh4gail

I went in Friday for my Vectibix but onc was not there so I did not get to speak with him about my port. I normally just stop by the lab and have them draw from my arm but I wanted to be sure my port would not draw so I requested the draw from the port. Charge nurse right away demanded to know why I was requesting this when "she knows her port don't draw". I told her my concerns about my port and man did she get sour on me! She informed me that the surgeon installed that port for one purpose ONLY...... To receive medication. The ability to draw blood out of that port is a "side benefit" ONLY!!! Not the purpose nor the intent of the port so they therefor do not consider the port to be failing or defective in any way if it does not draw. I told her I wanted that stuff put in there to clean it out and she said "that's ONLY if you have blood clots and you don't have any blood clots" oh really...how the hell do you know that? You got some kind of X-ray vision that you can see in there and see that? She said..well you have no pain....she never even asked me if I had any pain. A few times a week I get sharp pinching pains in that area but never gave it much thought till now. She said she would send a message to the onc but he would not address it until my Jan 31 appointment since it is not an emergency. She made me feel like I was being stupid for even thinking I had a port problem. Phil, you said your port don't draw all the time ....... Is your port checked for clots...ever??? If not, why not? Am I overreacting about this port not drawing because that is how they are making me feel. I just want to know all is ok. I have read that once a port stops drawing it is a prelude to a total malfunction ...not always but in a lot of cases. I just feel like if I do maintenance on my port and keep it fine tuned that I may prevent having to get another. IS that wrong???

Jennie
  • Lifeisajourney
    Lifeisajourney Member Posts: 216

Jennie

Ok I think we need a port czar
    I don't post much, but am an avid follower of all of you brave people. I had power port put in 1/09. Started folfox till May 09-seven in all till I had reaction. They put me in the hospital for 10 days and they drew blood there on the onc floor, used it for lots of things. No one has used it since for blood draw-never at the oncs office or other hospitals I have been at. Always told they needed special permission for blood draws.
    After reading this, I wonder what the truth is. I go about every 6 weeks for flush. I am probably done with chemo, refused it after failed liver resection, but keep the port in case I end up in hospital and my veins are crap. One nurse tried to access it for a biopsy, she didn't get access, but oncs office have no trouble with flushes....so now after this discussion, I guess I am worried about if it is still good. Who should know???? The port seems fine, no rush to get it out, but if it is for chemo only, doubt if it will ever get used........Best to all of you, follow you all on your journeys.......Pat
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member

Jennie

Jennie:
    If the nurses are 100% sure that the chemo is flowing in properly, then you are ok. Oh, George said his first port failed on treatment #2 because the tip turned in to the vein and to correct it, had to replace it. Again, long as they are confident in administering the chemo then you should be ok. You may and I say "may" be forming a sheath at the tip. Sometimes you can have this sheath for months with no problems, it just covers the tip when they draw in and then releases itself. In George's case, it didn't release and could not be broken up. 99% of the time it can be broken up with TPN should it cause problems.

As far as the attitude, tell her to shove it where the sun doesn't shine. You have cancer, you have a recurrence, the last thing you need is attitude. If the attitude is real bad, send an e-mail to the hospital and I bet they experience an instant attitude adjustment. If they are having a bad day, tough, tell them they don't know what a bad day is.

Hugs - Tina
  • Tinker243
    Tinker243 Member Posts: 3
    Power Port
    Hello Everyone,

My husband has a power port and whenever they couldn't draw blood during a flush, they would recline his chair until his head was below his heart and then it would work. They had indicated drawing blood could cause the flap/valve to pull closed.

As a side note, I'm a friendly neighborhood lurker who has been following everyone since my husband was diagnosed with two primary cancers in March 2011, colon and pyloric. The colon cancer was in the assending colon and the pyloric cancer had invaded the stomach, duodenum and surface of the head of the pancreas. Along with the cancers he also had a fistula from his stomach to intestine. He had 3 biweekly treatments of Folfox, then had whipple the end of May followed by 9 more treatments of 5FU, oxiliplatin, Avastin, and Xeloda. His treatment ended with his last dose of Xeloda after Thanksgiving dinner. :-)
    Mid December he had a Pet Scan that came back normal and normal CA19-9 results. His surgeon was also able to get all clear margins during his whipple. He returned to a physically demanding job 2 weeks ago and now we are trying to get back to normal, our new normal. We are thrilled with his outcome and cautiously optimistic.

I'd like to thank everyone for helping me to keep all of this in perspective. We live for today, hope for the best and prepare for the worst. My preparation for the worst is done quietly in my head so my husband can seize each day knowing I have his back. Thanks for listening.

Love and strength to all of you!
    Becky
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member

Ok I think we need a port czar
    I don't post much, but am an avid follower of all of you brave people. I had power port put in 1/09. Started folfox till May 09-seven in all till I had reaction. They put me in the hospital for 10 days and they drew blood there on the onc floor, used it for lots of things. No one has used it since for blood draw-never at the oncs office or other hospitals I have been at. Always told they needed special permission for blood draws.
    After reading this, I wonder what the truth is. I go about every 6 weeks for flush. I am probably done with chemo, refused it after failed liver resection, but keep the port in case I end up in hospital and my veins are crap. One nurse tried to access it for a biopsy, she didn't get access, but oncs office have no trouble with flushes....so now after this discussion, I guess I am worried about if it is still good. Who should know???? The port seems fine, no rush to get it out, but if it is for chemo only, doubt if it will ever get used........Best to all of you, follow you all on your journeys.......Pat

Czore czar
    Most nurses are not qualified to take a blood sample via a port,
    central, or mid... and many do not know how, since it was not
    within the scope of their job to do so. And usually a port
    or other type of catheter needs a physician's order for medical
    access (insurance purposes).

However, any nurse that is qualified to administer medications
    via a port, PICC, etc, must also be qualified to maintain that
    device. Part of that maintenance requires a proper flushing
    of the tubing prior to the administering of medications through
    that device.

The flushing process of all types of lines involves the flush, the
    draw back to check for blood flow, and another flush.

The proper placement of the line is verified by the draw of
    blood. If it does not provide a blood draw, the cause might
    be clotting or sheathing of the tip, or the tip placement may
    have moved.

The problem should be noted and resolved, since either
    situation can impair the proper administering of medications
    through that device.

It's almost a no-brainer.

Port-o-Cath

More about port maintenance

and:

d) If unable to obtain a blood return and the system flushes
    without resistance, have patient change positions, raise arms,
    cough, deep breathe, or perform the Valsalva maneuver. These
    efforts may change the position of a catheter. If unsuccessful,
    notify provider of inability to obtain a blood return. Verify
    correct placement and integrity of the catheter with chest X-ray
    and/or further studies. Never administer vesicant agents without
    a blood return unless catheter placement and patency is verified.

I hope that helps?

Best health to all,

John
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    weight loss or gain can affect it
    Hi Jennie,

Have you lost or gained much weight lately? I lost several pounds over the past few months and then my port started not giving the blood return as consistently as it used to. The nurse said she could feel that it wasn't lying perfectly flat in there anymore & was probably due to my weight loss. She said when there's a significant change in weight (up or down), that the port can shift a bit from its original placement and could maybe be kinking the tube a bit which could allow things to go in sufficiently but not as good for drawing blood out.
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member

Jennie

Jennie
    There is absolutely no reason why they can't put some of that TPA to see if it dissolves the clot.

There are 2 camps at my hospital - bloodraw WITH a port - and bloodraw WITHOUT.

The nurses are highly skilled at drawing blood through the port...it's just like getting pre-rigged for for infusion...quick, no fuss and no muss...and a heparin flush to go. Saves wear and tear on many of us whose veins have just had enough, unless the issue is forced.

And Jen....I was having sharp, stabbing pains in my port area too....I dismissed them as well....until they couldn't get a draw. That's when I knew that I was going to have to shake off the Propofol after the scope...and drive down to Infusion...and address the issue...and resolve it.

Pain? Port clogged? Hmmm? Potential for clots, darlin'...and the nurses in the scope ward and the trained nurses at my infusion center all agreed that clogged ports are not something to mess around with, especially if you have sharp pains in the area. You just never know.

You 'drano' them and if they don't unclog, you go to Intervential Radiology where they insert die to see if it is clogged...if it becomes faulty, you replace it. You don't leave it in and just say it is intended for chemo, no big deal.

The best that anyone can tell you if you got a blood clot and had issues from ingnoring the port situation is...WOOPS!

That advice and $4.50 will get you a Starbucks latte....but could wind you up in the hospital too...and haven't you had enough drama in your life this past year?

Your onc will buy off on the TPA...it took one quick call from the blood draw folks to my onc...and then PRESTO! You can't order through the drive-thru quicker than I got my issue cleared up....and it wasn't the first time....and probably won't be the last time.

I told you last time "Your people 'ain't' my people..." Better get on a plane and come get some good old-fashioned Texas health care, LOL! WE ARE the MD Anderson of North Texas - sayin' it loud - sayin' it proud:)

Clots do happen with these ports, so you're right, keeping them maintenanced properly, means a longer shelf life for the equipment and for us:)

Your request is absolutely reasonable and should be complied with...period - end of story.

I'm sure your onc will 'green light' this for you upon his return. If not, you'll just have to "Get Jenny With It."

LOL!

-Craig
  • WinneyPooh
    WinneyPooh Member Posts: 318

Jennie

That rediculous
    When ever my port gets clogged I have am sent to the hospital to have clot buster put in, They have to have blood return for many of the meds I am on and it would concern me greatly if the staff ever treated me like that, perhaps it is time for a new team. Take care jennie, Keep up the good fight.
    Be the bunny.
    Penny
  • idlehunters
    lisa42 said:

weight loss or gain can affect it
    Hi Jennie,

Have you lost or gained much weight lately? I lost several pounds over the past few months and then my port started not giving the blood return as consistently as it used to. The nurse said she could feel that it wasn't lying perfectly flat in there anymore & was probably due to my weight loss. She said when there's a significant change in weight (up or down), that the port can shift a bit from its original placement and could maybe be kinking the tube a bit which could allow things to go in sufficiently but not as good for drawing blood out.

Thanks Everybody for ALL the input....
    I did a 20 minute workout the last time they tried to get a draw to see if movement would get things going...NOPE. Even laid all the way back in recliner with legs straight up in the air and moing them like I was on a bicycle...LOL..oh yeah..It was comical...but I had to know for a fact that nothing I could do would make a difference. I have gone thru the workout every time I could not get a draw and it has never mattered. Lisa, I have lost a few pounds over the last few months but I am talking only a few. Craig...you know me too well!!! "GET JENNIE WITH IT?????" You got that straight!!!! and I ain't waiting until the end of the month till I see the Onc. I'm calling in the morning cause I just feel like boetchin!! Luv ya guys!!!

Jennie
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member

Thanks Everybody for ALL the input....
    I did a 20 minute workout the last time they tried to get a draw to see if movement would get things going...NOPE. Even laid all the way back in recliner with legs straight up in the air and moing them like I was on a bicycle...LOL..oh yeah..It was comical...but I had to know for a fact that nothing I could do would make a difference. I have gone thru the workout every time I could not get a draw and it has never mattered. Lisa, I have lost a few pounds over the last few months but I am talking only a few. Craig...you know me too well!!! "GET JENNIE WITH IT?????" You got that straight!!!! and I ain't waiting until the end of the month till I see the Onc. I'm calling in the morning cause I just feel like boetchin!! Luv ya guys!!!

Jennie

My port works properly in every direction but honestly
    never in 3 years it's never used to drawing blood only oncology nurses are allowed to manipulate ports, so any lab or infusion has been don always through vein infections an malfunctions are consider too common to manipulate it just for a simple blood work !