i am just a little confused

I know on every label and product they have the sodium content, but never say iodine. My dr. said if i need to use any i can use kosher salt. Are the recipes on Thyca.org safe to make?

Comments

• Stacie3071
    Stacie3071 Member Posts: 23
    Hey NannySue
    I love the low-iodine cookbook on the Thyca.org site. The blueberry muffins are very easy to make and very tasty. I use non-iodized regular table salt in everything I cook. Most canned/preserved foods you buy at your local grocery do have the iodized salts in them. So unfortuantley you are basically limited to using fresh/frozen veggies and such. I thought it was going to be hard but I have made it the three weeks of the LID and now only have 4 more days on it. Can not wait to have that slice of pizza..LOL

Good luck and I know you will do well... Just do not let it overwhelm you. (I printed the cookbook off so I have it handy to look thru and get ideas)..

Stacie
  • nannysue21
    nannysue21 Member Posts: 16

Hey NannySue
    I love the low-iodine cookbook on the Thyca.org site. The blueberry muffins are very easy to make and very tasty. I use non-iodized regular table salt in everything I cook. Most canned/preserved foods you buy at your local grocery do have the iodized salts in them. So unfortuantley you are basically limited to using fresh/frozen veggies and such. I thought it was going to be hard but I have made it the three weeks of the LID and now only have 4 more days on it. Can not wait to have that slice of pizza..LOL

Good luck and I know you will do well... Just do not let it overwhelm you. (I printed the cookbook off so I have it handy to look thru and get ideas)..

Stacie

LID
    Stacie, thanks for the reply. I have to do this until the 21st! A bagel or tuna sandwich with fritos sounds really good right about now!

Good luck to you also and I made the zucchini bread from the cookbook. It was very good.
  • sunnyaz
    sunnyaz Member Posts: 582
    Kosher Salt has iodine
    Sodium is not necessarily iodine. You can use the non-iodized salt, not sea salt and not Kosher salt unless it says non-iodized. I never found a non-iodized Kosher salt. It is safe to assume everything pre-made has iodized salt in it. Most of us go by the thyca cookbook but BEWARE, there are recipes that have foods with iodine. One of which is strawberries. They are naturally high in iodine.

I also made the blueberry muffins and they were very good. If you like peanut butter, you can buy the natural no-salt type. I like frozen bananas with no-salt peanut butter as a treat. The safest thing to do is pre-make large homemade batches of food. I made a large batch of soup, spaghetti and stuffed cabbage then froze them for when I was on my treatment. It was an easy no-brainer to throw them in the microwave for a pre-made meal. This will really come in handy when you are hypothyroid or need to limit time in the kitchen do to exposure to other family members. I also stored them in throw away plastic containers so that I didn't have to worry about contamination.

Best Wishes,
    Julie-SunnyAZ