recovery after lap. partial

I'm having my surgery this Wednesday (laparocscopic partial on right kidney) and even though I've spent a lot of time talking to my doctor and reading all your posts on this board, I don't think I know what to expect as far as recovery is concerned.
It seems like a lot of people had open surgery, which I know is supposed to be much tougher to recover from, and a lot of people seem to have had lap. radicals.
Is there anyone out there who had a lap. partial and can tell me how they felt after? How long did it take to feel 'normal' again?
I guess I want to try and prepare myself a little better, if that's at all possible.

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    No 2 people or recoveries are the same
    Liora4queen,

I had a radical lap removal. They were not doing partials then. A partial is a more difficult surgery. Age and heath matter. I was 59 so I am sure that was harder on me than it will be for you. There is no way I can sugar coat the surgery. You are going to feel real sore afterwords. You are going to barely be able to move around for the first 10 days or so. You are not going to feel comfortable in any thing but shorts or stretch pants for a few weeks after that. About 6 weeks out you are going to feel like doing normal things and then you can take it from there as to what you can tolorate. One thing for sure and that is that you will have to wait till next winter to start sking again. Chime in a few days after the surgery and keep us posted.

Best wishes,

Icemantoo
  • garym
    garym Member Posts: 1,647
    Good luck tomorrow...
    Liora,

Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your very long life, cured is the most likely out come. The next couple weeks will be a little rough but that is a small price to pay for being able to watch as your kids and eventually grand kids grow up. I predict the upcoming holiday season will be very special for you this year with a memorable unwrapped gift of life that you will never forget. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Good luck and God speed,

Gary
  • neenee3
    neenee3 Member Posts: 28
    pee-wee Pillow Pet
    Hi Liora,

Wish I would've seen your post earlier. I had my surgery on October 19th and am back to doing everything I was doing before. Before surgery my Mom gave me a pee-wee Pillow Pet, kinda funny but I can't tell you how much I used it! It was perfect for covering my incision area, I used it when I first started walking after surgery, I used it when I knew I was going to cough, or sneeze, or laugh. I also used it when laying down. Honestly, I was pretty attached to it for a couple weeks. If you're lucky maybe one of your kids has one you could borrow :) I had laproscopic and had my right kidney removed. Ended up with only 2 incisions. A 1" and a 3". Wasn't able to take pain meds without nausea so stopped taking them the second day after I got home. Hope that doesn't happen to you. Throwing up with stitches is no fun!!! The pain meds helped so much with the pain, so hopefully you can tolerate them. They prescribed stool softener so that was never an issue with me either. It's really hard to believe this whole thing happened to me now, I feel so back to "normal". I wish you the best and hope that you're resting somewhat comfortably. Take it easy and take it slow.

God Bless

Debbie
  • Liora4queen
    Liora4queen Member Posts: 22
    neenee3 said:

pee-wee Pillow Pet
    Hi Liora,

Wish I would've seen your post earlier. I had my surgery on October 19th and am back to doing everything I was doing before. Before surgery my Mom gave me a pee-wee Pillow Pet, kinda funny but I can't tell you how much I used it! It was perfect for covering my incision area, I used it when I first started walking after surgery, I used it when I knew I was going to cough, or sneeze, or laugh. I also used it when laying down. Honestly, I was pretty attached to it for a couple weeks. If you're lucky maybe one of your kids has one you could borrow :) I had laproscopic and had my right kidney removed. Ended up with only 2 incisions. A 1" and a 3". Wasn't able to take pain meds without nausea so stopped taking them the second day after I got home. Hope that doesn't happen to you. Throwing up with stitches is no fun!!! The pain meds helped so much with the pain, so hopefully you can tolerate them. They prescribed stool softener so that was never an issue with me either. It's really hard to believe this whole thing happened to me now, I feel so back to "normal". I wish you the best and hope that you're resting somewhat comfortably. Take it easy and take it slow.

God Bless

Debbie

Day after surgery
    Hi everyone,
    Had surgery yesterday morning. Last night was tough and I was doing better today, but unfortunately I'm not tolerating the meds all that well and have had nausea and very weak spells. Having the hardest time from the trapped gas. Ouch!! It's almost worse than the incisional pain.
    Debbie, I'm really impressed with your recovery time. I hope I can live up to that.
    Liora
  • BG
    BG Member Posts: 85 Member

Day after surgery
    Hi everyone,
    Had surgery yesterday morning. Last night was tough and I was doing better today, but unfortunately I'm not tolerating the meds all that well and have had nausea and very weak spells. Having the hardest time from the trapped gas. Ouch!! It's almost worse than the incisional pain.
    Debbie, I'm really impressed with your recovery time. I hope I can live up to that.
    Liora

nausea medicine
    Ask for nausea medicine, they gave some through my IV and it helped immensly. If you can lie on your side, the gas may pass easier, needless to say you would lie on the side without the incision.

The morphine is strong, and some do not tolerate it. They can switch you to another pain med, I had morphine for 1.5 days or so. Also, ask them about a stool softener, as you will need it when you get home, or sooner, the pain meds clog you up....

I wish you a speedy recovery, try to walk, th sooner the better, and each day you will go farther. Be patient, you will see progress!

I'm sending prayers you way.

BG
  • icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    BG said:

nausea medicine
    Ask for nausea medicine, they gave some through my IV and it helped immensly. If you can lie on your side, the gas may pass easier, needless to say you would lie on the side without the incision.

The morphine is strong, and some do not tolerate it. They can switch you to another pain med, I had morphine for 1.5 days or so. Also, ask them about a stool softener, as you will need it when you get home, or sooner, the pain meds clog you up....

I wish you a speedy recovery, try to walk, th sooner the better, and each day you will go farther. Be patient, you will see progress!

I'm sending prayers you way.

BG

The day after surgery
    Liora,

Glad to hear you have the strenghth and presense of mind to communicate. It hurts. Period.

Afer my surgery my Doctor did tryouts for late night comedy. Hewrote at the time of my discharge 2 days later that I was discharged without pain. Yeah.

Things do get better. Besides not being able to sugar coat the surgery, I can't sugar coat the first few days after as well.

Best wishes,

Icemantoo
  • neenee3
    neenee3 Member Posts: 28
    Look at you!!!
    Already posting :) now that's impressive! I have to say I was very fortunate to have help after my surgery. My Mom and Sister came and stayed to help out. They never let me overdo it. This is time to take care of you, the more you do that the quicker you'll be back up and about. Just let people help you, it's hard when you're used to being the one helping others. My Mom actually asked me to stop saying thank you :) I sure hope your nausea eases. I was on anti nausea medication the whole time I was in the hospital. I just couldn't tolerate the morphine or the vicadin. They were going to release me the day after my surgery and I told them I wanted to stay one more night. Just didn't feel ready for the 3 hour drive home. I know I don't ever remember showers feeling quite so heavenly as they did the first few times after surgery. There were days I felt really good and maybe over did it a little only to spend the next day having to rest a lot more. It's hard not to get disappointed a little with that. Just know you may have some ups and downs but gradually you'll just get better and better.

Take care and take it easy,
    Debbie

P.S. Christmas will be extra special this year!!! Blessings to you and yours!!!
  • garym
    garym Member Posts: 1,647
    neenee3 said:

Look at you!!!
    Already posting :) now that's impressive! I have to say I was very fortunate to have help after my surgery. My Mom and Sister came and stayed to help out. They never let me overdo it. This is time to take care of you, the more you do that the quicker you'll be back up and about. Just let people help you, it's hard when you're used to being the one helping others. My Mom actually asked me to stop saying thank you :) I sure hope your nausea eases. I was on anti nausea medication the whole time I was in the hospital. I just couldn't tolerate the morphine or the vicadin. They were going to release me the day after my surgery and I told them I wanted to stay one more night. Just didn't feel ready for the 3 hour drive home. I know I don't ever remember showers feeling quite so heavenly as they did the first few times after surgery. There were days I felt really good and maybe over did it a little only to spend the next day having to rest a lot more. It's hard not to get disappointed a little with that. Just know you may have some ups and downs but gradually you'll just get better and better.

Take care and take it easy,
    Debbie

P.S. Christmas will be extra special this year!!! Blessings to you and yours!!!

Welcome back!!!
    Liora,

Nice to have you back so soon, to quote the iceman "Now that wasn't so bad was it?", yeah right. Follow the advice above and TAKE IT EASY for a couple weeks, let those that love you pamper you for change. You'll be well on your way back to "normal" by X-Mas, but stay off anything bigger than the Bunny Hill until next winter, okay?

Gary
  • Liora4queen
    icemantoo said:

No 2 people or recoveries are the same
    Liora4queen,

I had a radical lap removal. They were not doing partials then. A partial is a more difficult surgery. Age and heath matter. I was 59 so I am sure that was harder on me than it will be for you. There is no way I can sugar coat the surgery. You are going to feel real sore afterwords. You are going to barely be able to move around for the first 10 days or so. You are not going to feel comfortable in any thing but shorts or stretch pants for a few weeks after that. About 6 weeks out you are going to feel like doing normal things and then you can take it from there as to what you can tolorate. One thing for sure and that is that you will have to wait till next winter to start sking again. Chime in a few days after the surgery and keep us posted.

Best wishes,

Icemantoo

Comforting
    Icemantoo,
    It's good to hear that it's not just me. I guess my expectations were a bit too high as far as recovery was concerned. I got home last night and am creeping around slowly. Haven't eaten food since Monday night. They had to send me home with the drain, so that lends a certain element of grossness to all of this.
    I'm so used to being the one to do everything and take care of everyone that this state I'm in is pretty hard, mentally. Still, I'm glad to have the thing out of me and to have that part of it behind me at least.
    Liora
  • Liora4queen
    garym said:

Good luck tomorrow...
    Liora,

Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your very long life, cured is the most likely out come. The next couple weeks will be a little rough but that is a small price to pay for being able to watch as your kids and eventually grand kids grow up. I predict the upcoming holiday season will be very special for you this year with a memorable unwrapped gift of life that you will never forget. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Good luck and God speed,

Gary

Gary
    Thank you - it's hard to see through the fog right now but your words make me hopeful.