6 Join us Walking, Swimming, Cycling, Weights, Paddling, Jogging, Hurling, Yoga 4 SURVIVAL BOOST UPD

pete43lost_at_sea
pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
edited May 2012 in Colorectal Cancer #1
6 Join us Walking, Swimming, Cycling, Weights, Paddling, Jogging, Hurling, Yoga 4 SURVIVAL BOOST

*** GET MEDICAL OK AND ONGOING SUPPORT BEFORE STARTING ANY EXERCISE PROGRAM, I did ***
*** DO YOUR STRETCHES BEFORE AND AFTER ALL WALKING, other exercises do relevant ****
*** AT THE END OF THIS POST IS A SUMMARY OF OTHER POST THAT MAYBE OF INTEREST ****

The American Cancer Society now recommends exercise and diet, at last after about 18 months of sharing my passion for survival of which exercise is the key part, closely followed by diet, meditation and lifestyle.

I am focused on weight training to build muscle mass and yoga to improve flexiblity and blood flow with a strict vegan diet full of plant based protein, carbs and nutrients to allow me to gain weight, ie muscle and have improving health despite positive cancer markers.

The exercise strategy is always trying to work in interval training to get the anaerobic cell cycle. i still hope we will be the fittest group of cancer survivors on the planet. we may also be the longest living with the grace of god.

its a beautiful life, and most mornings i exercise after my daily supplements before breakfast. "Just do it" if you can, any exercise is positive even if its just deep breathing or a walk up the stairs.

Join us Walking, Swimming, Cycling, Weights, Paddling, Jogging and get SURVIVAL BOOST
post 1 had 147 posts.
post 2 had 112 posts,
post 3 had 87 posts,
post 4 had 95 posts
post 5 had 88 posts

This post started out as walking, but we are an open minded bunch and now we have many exercise types listed in the title. Just move if you can.

We also have the unique 100,000km 30 year clinical trial being run here. will anyone make this target, dare is say even earlier than 30 years. It would be just so amazing. Obviously we will all have to live that long to get an invite to the party.

In Sydney Australia, sylvania to sutherland. Bottle and all.
This is the walking post. I am walking to the naturopath right now.
I feel fine, with energy just bad diarrhea. Its good having a bag, I don't have to find a tree anymore. haha

If you have some energy and are well come for a walk with me today. A walk around the world if you will for 10 minutes to 5 hours whatever you can manage. going to do this everyday.

I used to hear " an apple a day keeps the doctor away "

Now I say to myself " a walk a day keeps the monster away"

search on exercise colorectal and recurrance, for details.

come on couch potatoes up and addem and move.

love to all,

Pete

ps I am out the door right now.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/prevention/physicalactivity
1. What is the relationship between physical activity and colon cancer risk?
Colorectal cancer has been one of the most extensively studied cancers in relation to physical activity, with more than 50 studies examining this association. Many studies in the United States and around the world have consistently found that adults who increase their physical activity, either in intensity, duration, or frequency, can reduce their risk of developing colon cancer by 30 to 40 percent relative to those who are sedentary regardless of body mass index (BMI), with the greatest risk reduction seen among those who are most active (3–7). The magnitude of the protective effect appears greatest with high-intensity activity, although the optimal levels and duration of exercise are still difficult to determine due to differences between studies, making comparisons difficult. It is estimated that 30 to 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity per day is needed to protect against colon cancer (6, 7). It is not yet clear at this time whether physical activity has a protective effect for rectal cancer, adenomas, or polyp recurrence (3).
Physical activity most likely influences the development of colon cancer in multiple ways. Physical activity may protect against colon cancer and tumor development through its role in energy balance, hormone metabolism, insulin regulation, and by decreasing the time the colon is exposed to potential carcinogens. Physical activity has also been found to alter a number of inflammatory and immune factors, some of which may influence colon cancer risk.

SUMMARY OF RELEVANT AND SUPPORTING POSTS
http://csn.cancer.org/node/231364 too much exercise is bad, moderate is great for immune
http://www.lef.org/news/LefDailyNews.htm?NewsID=11846&Section=DISEASE&utm_source=DHB_111104&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Disease&utm_content=Body+ContinueReading&utm_campaign=DailyHealthBulletin
http://csn.cancer.org/node/224511 About benefits of walking for recently diagnosed ???
http://csn.cancer.org/node/224351 Exercise Discussion and Sharing Information with Your Medical Team
http://csn.cancer.org/node/224056 UPDATED "put up or shut up" I have made the core argument clearer I hope SUGAR
http://csn.cancer.org/node/223615 good news on crc prevention for our families and friends
http://eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2011-08/vdio-ctv081611.php# new research vitamin D
http://csn.cancer.org/node/229808#comment-1153284 yoga discussion and practice and research

Comments

• pete43lost_at_sea
    ever see ground hog day ?
    hi pepe and all

i love doing the new post every few months. over 500 replies this message has popped to the top of this list. it would be wonderful if we were the healthiest group of crc's, if your not well enough to exercise your body maybe you could checkout the meditation post so you could exercise your mind by doing nothing.

our new crc's probably don't get this advice from onc, or nurses, or hospital or csn or anywhere.

they get it here if they are looking for support, thanks heaps mate, we are doing something great for ourselves and we may help our friends as well.

off to the gym for weight training, did a walk this morning with friends and will try to get in 50 laps in the pool this arvo.

the treadmill is being phased out due to yoga and swimming at the moment. i want to keep the weights going.

hugs,
    pete
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member

hi pepe and all

i love doing the new post every few months. over 500 replies this message has popped to the top of this list. it would be wonderful if we were the healthiest group of crc's, if your not well enough to exercise your body maybe you could checkout the meditation post so you could exercise your mind by doing nothing.

our new crc's probably don't get this advice from onc, or nurses, or hospital or csn or anywhere.

they get it here if they are looking for support, thanks heaps mate, we are doing something great for ourselves and we may help our friends as well.

off to the gym for weight training, did a walk this morning with friends and will try to get in 50 laps in the pool this arvo.

the treadmill is being phased out due to yoga and swimming at the moment. i want to keep the weights going.

hugs,
    pete

Thank you Peter for opening this post number #6#
    Did lot of cycling this weekend!
    Anybody else has done exercise this weekend?
    Hug to all!
  • tommycat
    tommycat Member Posts: 790 Member

hi pepe and all

hugs,
    pete

On my way to a cardio with
    On my way to a cardio with light weights class, followed by yoga. Exercise makes me feel good for the entire day.
  • relaxoutdoors08
    relaxoutdoors08 Member Posts: 521 Member

hi pepe and all

hugs,
    pete

Walked to Tai Chi Class
    This weekend hiked and this morning walked to Tai Chi class. Keep up the post, I need it to motivate myself each day.
    NB
  • abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    pepebcn said:

Thank you Peter for opening this post number #6#
    Did lot of cycling this weekend!
    Anybody else has done exercise this weekend?
    Hug to all!

Curled in a major national bonspiel
    Curled Wednesday night at my home club, and then left town for a tournament. Thursday's game against Minnesotans, Friday - 2 games: Wisconsin and Nebraska; Saturday - Ohio. Sunday drove home, and today went to my Core Workout class. Tomorrow is Yoga.
  • pete43lost_at_sea

Walked to Tai Chi Class
    This weekend hiked and this morning walked to Tai Chi class. Keep up the post, I need it to motivate myself each day.
    NB

dear alice, tommy, relax thanks for posting
    i did yoga this morning and am off to the pool with kids.
    still aiming at 50 laps
    hugs,
    pete
  • pete43lost_at_sea

dear alice, tommy, relax thanks for posting
    i did yoga this morning and am off to the pool with kids.
    still aiming at 50 laps
    hugs,
    pete

a great day for me and the kids. 89 today!
    just had to post this, i am finally 89.2kg

It must be 25 years since i was this weight, i am very happy.

Did my 50 laps this afternoon as well while my kids do swimming squad.

Did swimming tonight with the cubs. The kids did swimming today at the school.

A big swim day for us all.

Its good to have a goal and 89Kg was mine.

hugs,
    pete
  • pete43lost_at_sea

a great day for me and the kids. 89 today!
    just had to post this, i am finally 89.2kg

It must be 25 years since i was this weight, i am very happy.

Did my 50 laps this afternoon as well while my kids do swimming squad.

Did swimming tonight with the cubs. The kids did swimming today at the school.

A big swim day for us all.

Its good to have a goal and 89Kg was mine.

hugs,
    pete

did 20 laps swimming and weight training
    The hernia is playing up, seeing surgeon next week.
    hugs,
    pete

ps anyone else exercising
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member

hugs,
    pete

yes Pete here I'm !
    did 5 kms walking in down town ,opts becoming lately since raining every day!
  • abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member

hugs,
    pete

Curled again yesterday
    and did hour long core workout today.
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    abrub said:

Curled again yesterday

great pepe and alice
    i did yoga on the plane flight this morning and tomorrow morning.
    hugs,
    pete
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    abrub said:

Curled again yesterday

great pepe and alice
    hugs,
    pete
  • janie1
    janie1 Member Posts: 753 Member

great pepe and alice
    hugs,
    pete

exercise and chemo
    Just did the 5 mile walk, it's beautful warm weather here. Now leaving to go to NY for chemo. Will be there over Thanksgiving.
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    janie1 said:

exercise and chemo
    Just did the 5 mile walk, it's beautful warm weather here. Now leaving to go to NY for chemo. Will be there over Thanksgiving.

sounds lovelly janie
    I got a gym session in last night and a full weights workout.
    anyone else exercising ?
    I have been a bit worried with my cea going up.
    hugs,
    pete
  • pete43lost_at_sea

sounds lovelly janie
    I got a gym session in last night and a full weights workout.
    anyone else exercising ?
    I have been a bit worried with my cea going up.
    hugs,
    pete

strted with new personal trainer
    did the best weights workout, focusing on muscle mass
    often 12 to 15 reps x 2 sets
    doing legs, abs, arms, chest.
    cardio is taking a back seat.

anyone else exercising ?

it should help, i hope it does.
    not quiet as confident but the studies say 53% benefit.

well guess who is in the 47%, me thats who. if you missed it my cea has risen to 6 from zero.

hugs,
    pete
  • yoga
    yoga Member Posts: 87
    still exercising every day!
    Hi Pete . . . . and all of the other exercisers in the group!
    I am still being as active as possible. This morning I did an hour of yoga - then off to school to volunteer for a couple of hours and then some Christmas shopping and a couple of grocery stores. Right now I am heading off to do 1/2 an hour on the treadmill and 5 minutes on my rebounder.
    Busy over the weekend with cleaning the garage for winter . . . . . up and down the ladder, hammering in nails and hanging up 'stuff', piling bags of leftover soil and mulch, sweeping - a general mess is almost cleaned up. I have some furniture that I want to start refinishing (that should help the biceps!) and before I buy more I need to get this stuff done - so at least the furniture has a dry spot for the winter, not sure about the car.
    My latest exercise fix is our new xbox 360 kinnect. We were looking forward to skiing and snowshoeing this winter as I was too weak last year - but with starting oxaliplatin I knew that was out. This way I get to go river rafting, ski, play soccer, golf, tennis, football and I don't even know what else is out there yet! A fun - and very addictive way - to get in some exercise.
    I hear the treadmill calling my name . . . .
    yoga jo
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    yoga said:

still exercising every day!
    Hi Pete . . . . and all of the other exercisers in the group!
    I am still being as active as possible. This morning I did an hour of yoga - then off to school to volunteer for a couple of hours and then some Christmas shopping and a couple of grocery stores. Right now I am heading off to do 1/2 an hour on the treadmill and 5 minutes on my rebounder.
    Busy over the weekend with cleaning the garage for winter . . . . . up and down the ladder, hammering in nails and hanging up 'stuff', piling bags of leftover soil and mulch, sweeping - a general mess is almost cleaned up. I have some furniture that I want to start refinishing (that should help the biceps!) and before I buy more I need to get this stuff done - so at least the furniture has a dry spot for the winter, not sure about the car.
    My latest exercise fix is our new xbox 360 kinnect. We were looking forward to skiing and snowshoeing this winter as I was too weak last year - but with starting oxaliplatin I knew that was out. This way I get to go river rafting, ski, play soccer, golf, tennis, football and I don't even know what else is out there yet! A fun - and very addictive way - to get in some exercise.
    I hear the treadmill calling my name . . . .
    yoga jo

thats great jo
    i have been exercising most days.
    today was the 85 min yoga class in the morning and 90 min weights and treadmill in the evening.
    yesterday was swimming and the day before body surfing and walking.

how are all our other exercisers going.

i have a one month for free personal trainer and a personal strength building program.
    its so much better than doing it myself.
    the personal trainers at this little gym, assist withs tretches afterwards, its a real luxury.

i learnt a great treadmill trick every 2 minutes i bump up the speed from 7km to 8km for just 20 seconds and drop it back to 7km. it really get the heart pumping, the new treadmills at this gym have heart rate monitors. i hit about 149, which is just a bit high for my age but i felt fine.

anyone else exercising ?????????????????/

how are you going pepe ?

hugs,
    pete
  • pete43lost_at_sea

hi pepe and all

hugs,
    pete

great weights and treadmill workout
    am only doing 2 x 10 minutes on treadmill but doing anarobic I think based on heart rate.

every 2 minutes on treadmill, i go for a burst for 30 seconds at 10km/hour. then i drop back to a walk at 7km/hour.

it works well and i am doing weights first and cardio second.

anyone else exercising today ?

hugs,
    pete
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    great yoga workout today, private lesson
    getting alot of flexibility, and balance back and strength and focus.
    yoga is very spiritual.

i am reading "light on yoga"

hi pepe,

how are you going ?

hugs,
    pete
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    i want to keep this post ticking over
    The exercise message still has vslue, just no absolute guarantees alas.
    did a great pilates workout on friday.
    i had the weekend resting.

hugs,
    pete