Surgery tomorrow

braswelm
braswelm Member Posts: 41
Well, after waiting over a month, tomorrow I get the little monster removed.
Still positive, still surrounded with peace. Actually looking forward to some time where I don't have work deadlines, etc., to deal with.....
A round of golf on Sunday must have relieved some underlying tension, because I have felt better the last two days than I have in weeks.
Finished all the Christmas decorations, first time my wife has ever let me put them up before Thanksgiving.
I hope some of the other newbies on here will listen to the experienced ones, they share some insightful tips.
Thank you all for sharing, and I'll update you as soon as I am able.

Mike in Birmingham

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Piece of cake
    Mike,

The anxiety is behind you. Nows the time to get the little rascal out.

Best wishes,

Icemantoo
  • garym
    garym Member Posts: 1,647
    Good luck...
    Hi Mike,

After its over you will be wondering what all the fuss was about and by X-Mas things should be nearly back to "normal". I spent Thanksgiving in the hospital 2 years ago, they even served me turkey dinner, not like home cookin', but a meal I'll never forget and I have given thanks every day since. You have a great attitude and support group, that's half the battle, you will be fine.

I look forward to hearing from you in a couple days,

Gary
  • LinnRyan
    LinnRyan Member Posts: 8
    keep it positive
    Good luck and hope you recover quickly and easily. I get to go next Friday.
  • Limelife50
    Limelife50 Member Posts: 476
    Good luck
    I guess now it's all about you ,I wish you a speedy recovery
  • foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member

Good luck
    I guess now it's all about you ,I wish you a speedy recovery

NTI
    Nothing to it. Good luck!
  • Get it gone.
    Mike,

Tomorrow will be over before you know it. Take it easy for a little while & eat small meals. Like My family doctor told me, Do what your suppose to do, be where your suppose to be and let the Lord take care of the healing. Will be thinking and praying for you tomorrow. Now that our Bulldogs have won the east I'll say "Roll Tide" LOL

Doug
  • NanaLou
    NanaLou Member Posts: 71
    Thinking and praying for you.
    I just got home from my surgery on the 18th. I wish you the best. Remember to pray for yourself. And do what you are told, these two things helped me.

Nancy
  • NanaLou
    NanaLou Member Posts: 71
    I just got home from my surgery on the 18th. I wish you the best. Remember to pray for yourself. And do what you are told, these two things helped me.

Nancy
  • braswelm
    NanaLou said:

Nancy

Home!
    Surgery went fine. They had to make one ofnthe incinsions larger than expected to get everything out. Very sore and weak but walking as much as possible.my wife is telling me not to overdo it.
    Think I shocked some of the family by walking in during our Thanksgiving meal yesterday.
    Doc says he thinks they got it all.wife says I must have asked that 3-4 times when I woke up. Must have been worried about it.
    Still loopy frOm pain meds but will post when I can.
  • braswelm said:

Home!
    Surgery went fine. They had to make one ofnthe incinsions larger than expected to get everything out. Very sore and weak but walking as much as possible.my wife is telling me not to overdo it.
    Think I shocked some of the family by walking in during our Thanksgiving meal yesterday.
    Doc says he thinks they got it all.wife says I must have asked that 3-4 times when I woke up. Must have been worried about it.

GREAT
    Mike,
    Great news. Take it easy for a little while, your going to be fine. Listen to your wife, sure she will take good care of you. My wife did for me.
    Doug
  • Minnesota Girl
    Minnesota Girl Member Posts: 119
    braswelm said:

Home!

Great news!
    The worst is over - let the healing begin!
  • garym
    garym Member Posts: 1,647

Great news!
    The worst is over - let the healing begin!

Welcome back!!!
    Hi Mike,

Its official, you are a battle tested warrior with the scars to prove it. Very soon things will return to "normal", but take it slow at first and allow your body and all of it's systems to recover. I found getting outside for short walks during the day helped a lot.

My best to you,

Gary
  • braswelm
    braswelm said:

Home!

5 days post op
    Well, I think this is a difficult part for me. I am eating very little, but the pain meds Still make me nauseous. Started taking tylenol. Had a rough night Sat, better last night.
    I still want to get up and do, and get frustrated at times.
    Intestines still not working right yet, though urine has been good.
    Just got to take it easy. That's rough for me.....
  • icemantoo
    braswelm said:

5 days post op
    Well, I think this is a difficult part for me. I am eating very little, but the pain meds Still make me nauseous. Started taking tylenol. Had a rough night Sat, better last night.
    I still want to get up and do, and get frustrated at times.
    Intestines still not working right yet, though urine has been good.
    Just got to take it easy. That's rough for me.....

Mike,

As i have said many times there is no way to sugar coat the Surgery. The same goes for the first 10 days post surgery. Pretty soon you will be feeling better each day and by 6 weeks you should feel close to normal. Hang in there.

Best wishes,

Icemantoo
  • msacher63
    msacher63 Member Posts: 21
    braswelm said:

Home!

Home!
    Home is the best place for healing. Get lots of rest. Every day will bring little victories. (being able to roll out of bed on both sides, laughing /coughing/sneezing without pain, sleeping on either side or your stomach and yes, going to the bathroom). Try not to get frustrated and be patient. All good things will come. Congrats!!!
  • braswelm
    Day 6 recovery from surgery
    Boy, I am trying to think positive, but my intestines are still not functional, and the pain meds now make me sick. Wife called Dr today and got scripts for nausea, and stool softener to see ifit helps. Trying to throw up in this condition is painful!
    Haven't had much sleep in the last 36 hours.
    Never had a bowel problem before, and thought they should be working by now....
    Mike
  • newenglandguy
    newenglandguy Member Posts: 66
    braswelm said:

Boy, I am trying to think positive, but my intestines are still not functional, and the pain meds now make me sick. Wife called Dr today and got scripts for nausea, and stool softener to see ifit helps. Trying to throw up in this condition is painful!
    Mike

Pain meds will bind you up.
    Pain meds will bind you up. I took fiber capsules (Psyllium Husk fiber) twice a day, but do check with your Doc first. Being bound up will inadvertently cause discomfort and can, no doubt, be painful. Things will get better, but everyone's experience will not be consistent. I could not comfortably sleep for almost a week. Survived on power naps. Go slow, and listen to your body. It will ork to correct if you're pushing too hard
  • foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    braswelm said:

Mike

sounds about right. Hang in
    sounds about right. Hang in there.
  • BG
    BG Member Posts: 85 Member
    braswelm said:

Mike

not funtional
    Hi Mike,

I shifted to drinking large amounts of water (4-5 glasses a day), which was a large increase for me since I use to drink sodas and sweet tea. In addition, I cut back my red meat, increased fruit/vegetables as well as raw veggies.

I was given a stool softener right out of surgery. The combination of all resulted in no issues even with taking the pain meds.

Hopefully between a diet shift and meds you can get this worked out!

BG
  • icemantoo
    BG said:

not funtional
    Hi Mike,

I shifted to drinking large amounts of water (4-5 glasses a day), which was a large increase for me since I use to drink sodas and sweet tea. In addition, I cut back my red meat, increased fruit/vegetables as well as raw veggies.

I was given a stool softener right out of surgery. The combination of all resulted in no issues even with taking the pain meds.

Hopefully between a diet shift and meds you can get this worked out!

BG

Constipation
    That nasty little word is a side effect of the pain meds. There is nothing worse than that one week after abdominal surgery. It reminded me of Arnold S. going thru labor in Junior. Several of our ladies in their posts have tried to sugar coat this by referring to the arrival of the Potty Fairy who makes it all go away.