Yay, it's time for liver resection

tko683
tko683 Member Posts: 264 Member
My husband is scheduled to have liver resection on 11/30. The surgeon said he was going to go in laparscopically first and look around but feels like he will probably have to do a traditional incision since the mets are on both sides. I am just looking for any advise on what to expect, things that the doctors don't always tell you....like what can I do to help with his recovery, should I be buying him easy button down type shirts to wear or will he be able to slip shirts over his head, when does the pain start to subside, will he be able to get in and out of bed or will he need to sleep in a lazyboy recliner for awhile, anything special that you tried that helped with recovery....or anything special you did before surgery that was helpful....Thanks so much for the advice. We are both stressed to the max right now....excited that he can have the surgery but also worried about it......such is life in the world of cancer...Hugs to everyone! Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Teri

Comments

• buckeye2
    buckeye2 Member Posts: 428 Member
    I was reading your bio and
    I was reading your bio and we have much in common. We both have battled breast cancer, our husbands are similar age battling colon, we both have three children of similar ages, and our husbands are both getting surgery soon. I think we are both going to have some calm at the end of the storm after these surgeries and be able to enjoy Christmas with our families. Our pre-surgery plan is to stay busy and around people. We had planned for a romantic night alone this weekend but decided it is a time for people not just the two of us. I wish you good luck. Lisa
  • tko683
    buckeye2 said:

I was reading your bio and
    I was reading your bio and we have much in common. We both have battled breast cancer, our husbands are similar age battling colon, we both have three children of similar ages, and our husbands are both getting surgery soon. I think we are both going to have some calm at the end of the storm after these surgeries and be able to enjoy Christmas with our families. Our pre-surgery plan is to stay busy and around people. We had planned for a romantic night alone this weekend but decided it is a time for people not just the two of us. I wish you good luck. Lisa

Yes we sure do
    Lisa,
    You are right, we do have much in common. We will have to keep checking in on each other. Our pre-surgery plan is the same, staying busy with family for the next 2 weeks. I hope that you and your family have wonderful times together...I'll be thinking about you and praying! Hugs, Teri
  • alexinlv
    alexinlv Member Posts: 194 Member
    Teri and Lisa
    The three of us have a lot in common. My husband may be going in for a resection before Christmas. I appreciate you both and let's keep in touch.
  • tko683
    alexinlv said:

Teri and Lisa
    The three of us have a lot in common. My husband may be going in for a resection before Christmas. I appreciate you both and let's keep in touch.

sounds good alex
    I know we do all have a lot in common and should keep in touch. It is going to be a time of mixed emotions for sure, the surgery stress but the hope of getting the cancer removed....I promise to share any stories that might be helpful to you all....sometimes doctors don't tell you everything you need to know...Sending wishes to you and Tony for a successful surgery and speedy recovery. Please keep in touch. Hugs, Teri