Gastric Reflux 3mo after radiation to mediastinum for nsclc stage 3a

kado4
kado4 Member Posts: 80
Hello all...I haven't been on in a while.Trying to get some things settled in these peaceful times right now. My dads PET was NED on Oct 12th, and he is scheduled to have another one on Jan 12'12.Anyway, he is having that gastric reflux feeling at night now,his last radiation to his mediastinum was Aug 29th.I don't know why now, and not earlier on?He is not having any problem swallowing,eating,etc.He cannot drink any juice, it appears at this time.Mom is giving him a Prilosec in the morning,but not really helping.Has anyone experienced this?Otherwise, he is feeling more like himslelf, his last chemo treatment was October 5th.He now is starting to like chicken..he didn't like the smell of it before.His hair is growing back in.

I wish you all well.Stay Strong!!Kado.

Comments

• soccerfreaks
    soccerfreaks Member Posts: 2,788 Member
    Overall
    Sounds like a good report, Kado. Kudos to dad! As both head/neck and lung cancer survivor, my docs insisted on nexium. When insurer wnated to switch me to over the ounter prilosec, my docs said no, and they were greanted their wish. I have very little, if any, problem with reflux.

Just a thought.

Take care,

Joe
  • Ex_Rock_n_Roller
    Ex_Rock_n_Roller Member Posts: 281 Member
    The reflux is not uncommon
    That is exactly what happened to me, and with more or less the same timing. The reflux seemed to start after, and outlasted, the radiation to the esophagus area. It was also more severe than any reflux I had experienced before, and I've experienced a fair amount. At times, it felt like my esophagus was about 1" long (i.e. stomach acid was much more perceptible).

One Prilosec in the morning probably isn't going to cut it. I'd talk to the doc in no uncertain terms about it, because they won't want it to get out of hand. As Joe said, Nexium (chemically, it's essentially Prilosec doubled, I believe) is probably better, and I'm pretty sure you can stand a double dose of the OTC Prilosec (morning and night). Alternatively, you can take a Prilosec in the morning and one of the different type anti-ulcer pills (e.g. Ranitidine) to get you through the night.

Consult with the doc. If I am an example, it will eventually go away, but he'll have to live a little bit carefully even after it does.

Best of luck
  • kado4

The reflux is not uncommon
    That is exactly what happened to me, and with more or less the same timing. The reflux seemed to start after, and outlasted, the radiation to the esophagus area. It was also more severe than any reflux I had experienced before, and I've experienced a fair amount. At times, it felt like my esophagus was about 1" long (i.e. stomach acid was much more perceptible).

One Prilosec in the morning probably isn't going to cut it. I'd talk to the doc in no uncertain terms about it, because they won't want it to get out of hand. As Joe said, Nexium (chemically, it's essentially Prilosec doubled, I believe) is probably better, and I'm pretty sure you can stand a double dose of the OTC Prilosec (morning and night). Alternatively, you can take a Prilosec in the morning and one of the different type anti-ulcer pills (e.g. Ranitidine) to get you through the night.

Consult with the doc. If I am an example, it will eventually go away, but he'll have to live a little bit carefully even after it does.

Best of luck

the dreaded gastric reflux
    Thanks for your suggestions.....I was wondering how you were doing,ex rock n roller....I hope you are well....my dad is doing essentially fine...for now....other that his hair is growing back, and this gasric reflux....he's never had it.I sure do hope it goes away with proper treatment...he did feel pretty bad after the last dose of taxol and the last of his radiation treatments..that was rough on him...he is still taking naps during the day....

Well, take care, and stay strong..Kado.
  • kado4

Overall
    Sounds like a good report, Kado. Kudos to dad! As both head/neck and lung cancer survivor, my docs insisted on nexium. When insurer wnated to switch me to over the ounter prilosec, my docs said no, and they were greanted their wish. I have very little, if any, problem with reflux.

Just a thought.

Take care,

Joe

Thank you
    Thanks Joe for your reply. I will definately ask the doctor about what he things would be best.Please, take care and best wishes....Kado.
  • Ex_Rock_n_Roller
    Ex_Rock_n_Roller Member Posts: 281 Member
    kado4 said:

Thanks for your suggestions.....I was wondering how you were doing,ex rock n roller....I hope you are well....my dad is doing essentially fine...for now....other that his hair is growing back, and this gasric reflux....he's never had it.I sure do hope it goes away with proper treatment...he did feel pretty bad after the last dose of taxol and the last of his radiation treatments..that was rough on him...he is still taking naps during the day....

Thanks, kado
    Doing pretty well here, so far as I can tell. One visit ago my onco put me on 6 month scans, owing to NED since end of treatment in July 2010. Last visit was a meet-and-greet, with the report "You look good; you sound good." To which I was tempted to reply: (a) You need to clean your glasses, and, (b) You've obviously never heard me play guitar!

Constant paranoia since I initially didn't present with much more than cold symptoms (so every cold symptom seems like a recurrence), but I can't complain.

Major healing mojo to us all, especially your dad!
  • NayPaul
    NayPaul Member Posts: 230 Member
    kado4 said:

my wife as well
    While my wife is not a great match due to her chronic gastropersis, she too this past mont has been complaining about more acid reflux than "normal." She finished radiation to the chest just a few days prior to our dad. She was also stepped up to nexium... though again, she takes multiple meds for acid reflux and stomach motility.
  • dmcl11
    dmcl11 Member Posts: 22

Overall

Just a thought.

Take care,

Joe

hello didnt realize i had reflux issue doc rxd protonix for radiation burn cough saying cough not helped by reflux 1 40 mg pill am 1 pill pm seems to be helping