Squamous Cell

michigansk8er
michigansk8er Member Posts: 1
Hi,

I'm new here. I had a squamous cell turmor removed from my calf over 10 weeks ago. The borders were clear, so I'm supposedly set to go. Unfortunately, the incision site will not heal. Has anyone else had this problem? I've been going back to the surgeon every 2 weeks. He doesn't seem concerned. He might not be, but I am. Thanks!

Comments

• Ginny_B
    Ginny_B Member Posts: 532
    I know this is months later,
    I know this is months later, but I had malignant squamous cell carcinoma on my face. I had a plastic surgeon specializing in cancer perform the surgery. Biopsy revealed cancer on all margins. Anyway, after cutting more and receiving a clean path, I was bandaged and sent home. I went back for suture removal. Like you, the incision opened. I was devastated because is was on my face!

I went back to be resutured. They left the sutures in longer the second time. Now, years later, not a trace of a scar. So, ya... it does happen.

Ginny
  • TraceyEarly
    TraceyEarly Member Posts: 14
    Ginny_B said:

I know this is months later,
    I know this is months later, but I had malignant squamous cell carcinoma on my face. I had a plastic surgeon specializing in cancer perform the surgery. Biopsy revealed cancer on all margins. Anyway, after cutting more and receiving a clean path, I was bandaged and sent home. I went back for suture removal. Like you, the incision opened. I was devastated because is was on my face!

I went back to be resutured. They left the sutures in longer the second time. Now, years later, not a trace of a scar. So, ya... it does happen.

Ginny

Thank You
    I also had two huge tumors removed on my left cheek that had begun to spread into the fatty tissue .The scar after stitch removal horrified me, it's been 4 weeks and I have just begun to venture outdoors ..I was so afraid my face would always look horrific..But your story gave me hope..I know people think OUR type of cancer is not as bad as say breast or brain and lung.But there is no good cancer in my book ..I have been just as scared,anxious and depressed as any other cancer patient.The fear of returning cancer is terrifing.And yes at the risk of being vain ,I was worried about my apperance.So Thank You for the encouragement..You said years ,may I ask how many?
  • TraceyEarly
    I am too
    We have the right to be concered Cancer is a terrifing illness.Doctors are confident in them selves but my Doctor also treats it as just another day .When to me it is of GREAT INPORTANCE .It is us to Dr's we are just one of many they treat.I have been depressed,anxious,scared,have had nightmares,sleepless nights and days of wanting to just scream "why me"...Your Doctor does care, you just need to discuss your fears and worries with him.join a support group or talk to family,friends or religious leader..
  • TraceyEarly
    I am too
    We have the right to be concered Cancer is a terrifing illness.Doctors are confident in them selves but my Doctor also treats it as just another day .When to me it is of GREAT INPORTANCE .It is us to Dr's we are just one of many they treat.I have been depressed,anxious,scared,have had nightmares,sleepless nights and days of wanting to just scream "why me"...Your Doctor does care, you just need to discuss your fears and worries with him.join a support group or talk to family,friends or religious leader..
  • TraceyEarly
    I am too
  • TraceyEarly
    I am too