kidney trouble

puppetman
puppetman Member Posts: 53
edited October 2011 in Kidney Cancer #1
Right before the first of the Year, Dec. 2010, I was told I had kidney cancer "4cm mass on right kidney" on May 5th 2011 I had 100% of My right kidney removed, thought I was doing fine, I went today to see My kidney Doc., He told Me that only 50% of My left kidney is working, My Doc didn't say much, just orderd more blood work and a new ct scan for next week, I wish I knew what I can do to help My kidney to start working again like it should, can Anyone help Me on what I can do or what I can eat or not do or not eat, PLEASE HELP? You can email Me at puppetman@cableone.net

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    I share your concerns
    Puppetman,

One of the things we face with one kidney is that our kidney function is reduced. This is measured by a GFR test which basically shows that all of us with one kidney like you and I have kidney functions which are classified as Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) stages I thru V. The biggest culprit other than having 1 kidney is high blood pressure. Next is age and then salt, overweight and diet. We are much more likely to have heart issues with these abnormal kidney results than any kind of Kidney failure issue. I started seeing a Nephrologist about a year ago to address these concers. Both my GP and my Urologist declined to refer me to a Nephrologist and both said I could do it if I wished.

The focus of the yearly CT scans and ultrasound is to prevent/detect any return of Cancer. The focus of the Nephrologist is to address Kidney fuction issues which all of us have and become worse with high blood pressure and age.

My answer to your question and for others out there with simiar concerns is to address these issues with a nephrologist,
  • ams123
    ams123 Member Posts: 71
    Nephrologist
    I agree, see a nephrologist. I had a partial nephrectomy 6 weeks ago, and the surgeon removed a slice of the healthy part of the kidney to be biopsied. It came back showing mild to severe kidney disease. I am seeing a nephrologist at Johns Hopkins in a couple of weeks, I don't want to go to a local doctor, seeing as how I have kidney cancer AND kidney disease. Your best bet is to see a nephrologist.

Linda
  • puppetman
    ams123 said:

Nephrologist
    I agree, see a nephrologist. I had a partial nephrectomy 6 weeks ago, and the surgeon removed a slice of the healthy part of the kidney to be biopsied. It came back showing mild to severe kidney disease. I am seeing a nephrologist at Johns Hopkins in a couple of weeks, I don't want to go to a local doctor, seeing as how I have kidney cancer AND kidney disease. Your best bet is to see a nephrologist.

Linda

My kidney
    thanks, I have to call My Doc. today to set up to get some more blood work done next week,
    My Dac said if I had to get My 1 and only kidney out that I could live for 10 years , I will have to go get My blood cleaned 3 times a week, but My Doc does have People that does that and has no kidney, but that would be hard. I guess I will have to learn to eat healthy, when People have only 1 kidney, and only 50% of the kidney is working, can I still go out and work and do thing around the yard and house?
  • puppetman
    puppetman said:

My kidney
    thanks, I have to call My Doc. today to set up to get some more blood work done next week,
    My Dac said if I had to get My 1 and only kidney out that I could live for 10 years , I will have to go get My blood cleaned 3 times a week, but My Doc does have People that does that and has no kidney, but that would be hard. I guess I will have to learn to eat healthy, when People have only 1 kidney, and only 50% of the kidney is working, can I still go out and work and do thing around the yard and house?

My kidney
    My Doc didn't say much, what can I do "work" and what shouldn't do? PLEASE let Me know, should I only eat some stuff like frut and stuff? I realy need some help on what I should do?
  • puppetman
    puppetman said:

My kidney

My kidney
    Thanks..
  • ams123
    ams123 Member Posts: 71
    puppetman said:

My kidney

Living without kidneys
    Yes, people can live quite long without kidneys, or with dysfunctional kidneys. You would have to be on dialysis, and there are different types, one type you can do at home. Your doctor would determine if you are a candidate for that type of dialysis. My father was on dialysis for many years, but he was retired and didn't work. People do work while on dialysis, you would have to schedule your dialysis sessions and your work hours to accommodate both. When I would go with my father to his dialysis center, I saw young people, middle aged people, and older people. Some were dressed in business clothes because they were going to work after dialysis.

My father was also able to travel, as long as there was a dialysis center wherever he was going. I believe there are also dialysis cruises!

There is also a special diet that you would need to be on. I am not sure if it is the same diet my dad was on because that was quite a few years ago, but he had to have limited amounts of protein, potassium, sodium, and others. When and if you start dialysis you should ask your doctor to order that a registered dietitian (not a nutritionist) come to your home and help you with your diet. This may take multiple visits.

Having kidney failure requires a bit of an education. It is helpful to have someone go with you to doctor's visits because it can be hard to remember everything the doctor says.

I'm somewhat baffled by your doctor's comment that you can live 10 years after your kidney is removed, I wonder where he came up with that number. Are you a candidate for a kidney transplant?

Linda
  • DarrylPe
    DarrylPe Member Posts: 75
    ams123 said:

Living without kidneys
    Yes, people can live quite long without kidneys, or with dysfunctional kidneys. You would have to be on dialysis, and there are different types, one type you can do at home. Your doctor would determine if you are a candidate for that type of dialysis. My father was on dialysis for many years, but he was retired and didn't work. People do work while on dialysis, you would have to schedule your dialysis sessions and your work hours to accommodate both. When I would go with my father to his dialysis center, I saw young people, middle aged people, and older people. Some were dressed in business clothes because they were going to work after dialysis.

My father was also able to travel, as long as there was a dialysis center wherever he was going. I believe there are also dialysis cruises!

There is also a special diet that you would need to be on. I am not sure if it is the same diet my dad was on because that was quite a few years ago, but he had to have limited amounts of protein, potassium, sodium, and others. When and if you start dialysis you should ask your doctor to order that a registered dietitian (not a nutritionist) come to your home and help you with your diet. This may take multiple visits.

Having kidney failure requires a bit of an education. It is helpful to have someone go with you to doctor's visits because it can be hard to remember everything the doctor says.

I'm somewhat baffled by your doctor's comment that you can live 10 years after your kidney is removed, I wonder where he came up with that number. Are you a candidate for a kidney transplant?

Linda

Some answers
    Hi Puppetman sorry about your bad news. I had a radical nephrectomy in April of this year. Coming out of surgery my GFR (the formula that used to determine the amount of kidney function) was 24 or 24 percent of kidney function. My urologist refered me to a nephrologist at that point. The nephrologist told me that the goal would be to attempt to keep my kidney function at 24 percent for as long as possible . He also told me that with proper diet and monitering of my lab work I could continue at this level for along time. I now see a renal dietitian who has me on a low protein diet and I am watching the amount of sodium , potassium calcium and phosphorus that I take in . As of my last lab test my kidney function has gone up slightly. So basically I'm telling you not to panic . A good web site to checkout for recipes and info is Davita.com also try Kidney .org so you can get a clear understanding of how your kidney actually works. As always education is your best weapon in the battle for healthy living . Keep us posted.

God bless
    Darryl