Back pain after surgery

E.S
E.S Member Posts: 12
It has now been almost 4 weeks since I have an open radical nephrectomy on my right kidney. The incision site is still tender and not healed up completely. My back has been bothering me quite a bit on my shoulders and all down the left side of my back because I still lean slightly towards my right side (because it still hurts to stand straight). I was thinking about going to a registered massage therapist to help me with this, but I dont know if it is a good idea as my side has still not fully healed. Does anyone have any advice, or have you had any experience with this? THe last thing I want to do is cause more pain then I already am in.

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Aches and pains
    Aches and pains are normal 4 weeks post surgery. As to whether or not you should see a message therapist my answer is why not After I cleasr this with my doctor. On the other hand you still have some healing to do so why not give it a few more weeks.

Best wishes,

Icemantoo
  • E.S
    E.S Member Posts: 12
    icemantoo said:

Aches and pains
    Aches and pains are normal 4 weeks post surgery. As to whether or not you should see a message therapist my answer is why not After I cleasr this with my doctor. On the other hand you still have some healing to do so why not give it a few more weeks.

Best wishes,

Icemantoo

Check with the Doc
    Icemantoo,
    I did ask my doctor and told her about my concerns and she wrote me a prescription. She said that if i could find a way to receive the treatment without having to lye on my incision it could be ok. Has anyone received anything like massage therapy after surgery?
  • rae_rae
    rae_rae Member Posts: 300 Member
    E.S said:

Check with the Doc
    Icemantoo,
    I did ask my doctor and told her about my concerns and she wrote me a prescription. She said that if i could find a way to receive the treatment without having to lye on my incision it could be ok. Has anyone received anything like massage therapy after surgery?

I had acupressure/massage
    I had acupressure/massage therapy about 10 - 12 weeks after, including my abdomen. It was awesome and helped. It is something I do on a regular basis. I did have pain for weeks in my incision site after- it felt like it broke up some scar tissue and woke up some nerves. I, too had an open surgery just over a year ago. Unfortunately I still have considerable pain in my upper abdomen. Swimming is also a great way to stretch the muscles without overdoing it. I started swimming after about 3 weeks.

Rae
  • BG
    BG Member Posts: 85 Member
    E.S said:

Check with the Doc
    Icemantoo,

massage as well
    I also had massage, 7 weeks after lap partial, it was cleared by urologist and felt good
  • growler9
    growler9 Member Posts: 48
    Sore back
    I didn't have back pain 4 weeks out but after my surgeries, I couldn't lay or sit reclined in the bed as that would make my back hurt. I would sleep sitting in a chair but after an hour or two that would make my front hurt.
    During the day I would raise my bed all the way up, put 3 or 4 pillows down shaped like a U and stand leaned over on the pillows so there wasn't any pressure on my incision and that would take all the strain off my back.

My nurses would give me back massages some times and it felt GREAT.

So from my experience I would say GO FOR IT!
  • growler9
    growler9 Member Posts: 48
    Sore back
    I didn't have back pain 4 weeks out but after my surgeries, I couldn't lay or sit reclined in the bed as that would make my back hurt. I would sleep sitting in a chair but after an hour or two that would make my front hurt.
    During the day I would raise my bed all the way up, put 3 or 4 pillows down shaped like a U and stand leaned over on the pillows so there wasn't any pressure on my incision and that would take all the strain off my back.

My nurses would give me back massages some times and it felt GREAT.

So from my experience I would say GO FOR IT!

Alan