I can run today!

ams123
ams123 Member Posts: 71
At the time of my diagnosis in July I was training for a half marathon. I had to stop running obviously after the surgery, but it has been four weeks as of today, and I can start running again. I'm going out right now, so excited! I think I'll finally start to feel normal again once I can run.

Thanks for indulging me in this little bit of what probably seems like silliness.

Linda

Comments

• carlkcs11
    carlkcs11 Member Posts: 11
    GYM DAY
    Hi:

Just got back from gym. Light work out but it felt great to get back there. Great job Linda, I bet in a year you'll be running NYC marathon.

Good luck.

CARL
  • ripper
    ripper Member Posts: 28
    Great Job!
    Very happy for you to be running so soon! I'm 12 weeks out and feel confident on an uphill 1 mile fast walk. I can jog down the sidelines at my son's football games, but that's about it for jogging. I too, was getting ready for a road race in May when I was diagnosed. I can't wait to get out and feel good enough to put in a mile or two and like you said feel "normal".
  • ams123
    carlkcs11 said:

GYM DAY
    Hi:

Just got back from gym. Light work out but it felt great to get back there. Great job Linda, I bet in a year you'll be running NYC marathon.

Good luck.

CARL

Ha ha!
    Carl - that is funny. I don't want to run a marathon, but if I did I think the NY marathon would be a great one. Glad you are getting to the gym and it felt great.

Linda
  • ams123
    ripper said:

Great Job!
    Very happy for you to be running so soon! I'm 12 weeks out and feel confident on an uphill 1 mile fast walk. I can jog down the sidelines at my son's football games, but that's about it for jogging. I too, was getting ready for a road race in May when I was diagnosed. I can't wait to get out and feel good enough to put in a mile or two and like you said feel "normal".

It wasn't that great
    The run wasn't very good. My heart was pounding and I had to really slow down and do a lot of walking. At least I did some running, it can only get better from here. I was thinking of doing a 10K at the beginning of next month, but I might skip that. There is another one on Thanksgiving day, maybe I'll try for that one.

Linda
  • Minnesota Girl
    Minnesota Girl Member Posts: 119
    Good for you!
    It takes time - sounds like you're doing great! Keep it up!
  • lbinmsp
    lbinmsp Member Posts: 266
    Good for you!
    Congratulations! BUT - remember that your body may have different plans. Just looking forward to it is a huge step - and then - onward and upward! YOU GO GIRL!!!
  • jhsu
    jhsu Member Posts: 80
    I also enjoy long distance
    I also enjoy long distance running. I finished a half marathon 5 months after my open radical left kidney nephrectomy followed by an open left lung surgery in 2008, it was my 2nd half marathon. I resumed running even before removing all the stiches. You just have to very carefully listen to what your body has to feed back to you during the training.

And you know what, right before my 50th birthday in March 2009 I finished my first full marathon, that's the best birthday present I've received in my life. I'm going to run my 12th marathon next weekend, I think I'll keep on running until the day I drop.

Linda, go for it and find the joy of your run.
    Jon
  • neenee3
    neenee3 Member Posts: 28
    How EXCITING!!!
    That's GREAT! What an INSPIRATION!!! I can't wait to get back even to walking :) Surgery was just Wednesday but looking forward to everything NORMAL!!! Way to go!!!

Debbie
  • ams123
    jhsu said:

I also enjoy long distance
    I also enjoy long distance running. I finished a half marathon 5 months after my open radical left kidney nephrectomy followed by an open left lung surgery in 2008, it was my 2nd half marathon. I resumed running even before removing all the stiches. You just have to very carefully listen to what your body has to feed back to you during the training.

And you know what, right before my 50th birthday in March 2009 I finished my first full marathon, that's the best birthday present I've received in my life. I'm going to run my 12th marathon next weekend, I think I'll keep on running until the day I drop.

Linda, go for it and find the joy of your run.
    Jon

Great job!
    That's amazing Jon. I am having trouble running, I think it is due to my vitamin b12 deficiency. Even the slighest exertion causes my heart rate to get very high, so I have to run very slowly, and I do 2 minutes of running with 1 minute of walking. I'm only up to 2.25 miles, which is discouraging since the Saturday before my surgery I ran 12 miles. I have not run a marathon, and I don't really have the desire to at this point, buy maybe someday. Right now I am enjoying the half marathon distance, and hoping I'll get back to that distance fairly soon.

Linda
  • garym
    garym Member Posts: 1,647
    neenee3 said:

How EXCITING!!!
    That's GREAT! What an INSPIRATION!!! I can't wait to get back even to walking :) Surgery was just Wednesday but looking forward to everything NORMAL!!! Way to go!!!

Debbie

Survivors are amazing...
    My youngest son, a five year survivor of Hodgkin's Disease, is into marathons and triathlons, he is a member of the local Leukemia and Lymphoma Society team. Two weekends ago he ran a 1/2 marathon in 1:25, I think it takes me longer to tie my shoes, my wife and I walked it (our first). I was surprised how many survivors of different cancers were involved with this event, I was inspired and amazed. I look forward to doing it again next year.
  • jhsu
    ams123 said:

Great job!
    That's amazing Jon. I am having trouble running, I think it is due to my vitamin b12 deficiency. Even the slighest exertion causes my heart rate to get very high, so I have to run very slowly, and I do 2 minutes of running with 1 minute of walking. I'm only up to 2.25 miles, which is discouraging since the Saturday before my surgery I ran 12 miles. I have not run a marathon, and I don't really have the desire to at this point, buy maybe someday. Right now I am enjoying the half marathon distance, and hoping I'll get back to that distance fairly soon.

Linda

I know exactly how you feel.
    I know exactly how you feel. I lost 1/3 of my abdomen muscles from the incision, and most of the hard work is try to work that body inertia out. Start very slowly, walking is perfectly fine too, get the blood circulate through the body and sweat out. Trust me, the strength will come back to you in no time.

Jon
  • ams123
    jhsu said:

I know exactly how you feel.
    I know exactly how you feel. I lost 1/3 of my abdomen muscles from the incision, and most of the hard work is try to work that body inertia out. Start very slowly, walking is perfectly fine too, get the blood circulate through the body and sweat out. Trust me, the strength will come back to you in no time.

Jon

Thank You
    Thanks Jon, it always seems as if I'll never get better, but I just have to accept that recovery is slow, I'm not going to go run a half marathon 6 weeks after surgery! It feels good to just move, even if I'm not moving very fast.
  • foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    garym said:

Survivors are amazing...
    My youngest son, a five year survivor of Hodgkin's Disease, is into marathons and triathlons, he is a member of the local Leukemia and Lymphoma Society team. Two weekends ago he ran a 1/2 marathon in 1:25, I think it takes me longer to tie my shoes, my wife and I walked it (our first). I was surprised how many survivors of different cancers were involved with this event, I was inspired and amazed. I look forward to doing it again next year.

running
    I did run New York in "88. What a trip. I have run a half dozen marathons and I will use that ability to know how to dig in and deal with fighting kidney cancer. Training as a distance runner provides a perspective on perseverence. Being able to move forward a moment at a time and then keep going despite how you feel. I am counting on that to get me through this battle. You will too. Keep pushing.
  • jhsu
    foxhd said:

running
    I did run New York in "88. What a trip. I have run a half dozen marathons and I will use that ability to know how to dig in and deal with fighting kidney cancer. Training as a distance runner provides a perspective on perseverence. Being able to move forward a moment at a time and then keep going despite how you feel. I am counting on that to get me through this battle. You will too. Keep pushing.

Be proud of yourself
    You’ve been there, done that. Now, you can do it again.

Jon
  • msacher63
    msacher63 Member Posts: 21
    Congratulations!!!!
    Congratulations. I am sooooo jealous. Tomorrow 11-08-11 will be my last run before my surgery. I was supposed to do the English Town, N.J. Tough Mudder this Saturday 12th. Been training since March. I guess it’s just not in the cards for me this year. I am going to enjoy every step of my run and will be looking forward to being where you are now. Keep us updated on your progress. We’re fortunate to be able to say,”next year”.
  • donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,041 Member
    msacher63 said:

Congratulations!!!!
    Congratulations. I am sooooo jealous. Tomorrow 11-08-11 will be my last run before my surgery. I was supposed to do the English Town, N.J. Tough Mudder this Saturday 12th. Been training since March. I guess it’s just not in the cards for me this year. I am going to enjoy every step of my run and will be looking forward to being where you are now. Keep us updated on your progress. We’re fortunate to be able to say,”next year”.

Best wishes to all you jocks
    Does that mean because I had a kidney removed at age 63, I'll be able to run a marathon?
    No way. A torn up knee from skiing over 20 years ago and a foot that went left when it should have been going straight ahead make it sometimes difficult to walk without pain.

So I'll let the younger and more intact players do this game while I stick with the gentle sports like walking, gardening and chasing grands.
    donna_lee
  • ams123
    msacher63 said:

Congratulations!!!!

Enjoy your run
    and feel confident that you will get back to it. The week before my surgery I did a 12 mile long run, and 8 weeks after surgery I am up to a 3 mile long run. Doesn't sound like much, but I feel good running those three miles.

Linda