How to understand PET scan results??? Please help!!

Hi,

My grandmother was diagnosed with Lung cancer metastatic to the skin in March this year. Since then she has done 6 cycles of chemo therapy every three weeks for 18 weeks. She had her last cycle a few weeks ago. Following that was a PET scan. I have the results here, but am having trouble understanding them. The doctor tried to explain them to me, but I feel he is "sugar coating" thinking I will be upset with the true results. Please if anyone understands PET scan lingo, help! :0) Thanks Sincerely.

Before I list the results, I would also like it know that she is currently on antibiotics for an infection called Cellulitis in her left ankle, which he also said the infection could effect the PET scan results.

Results are as follows:

Redemonstrated is a mass in the right lower lobe which is mildly decreased in size but deomnstrates increased metabolic activity with a maximum SUV of 12.9

The previously demonstrated nodule within the anterior left upper lobe is significantly decreased in size since prior examination.

The hypermetabolic lymph node in the AP window demonstrates slight increase in hypermetabolic activity with a maximum SUV of 3.6

There has been development of a hypermetabolic mass involving the right adrenal gland, measuring 2.4 x 1.3 cm and demonstrating a maximum SUV of 6.6

There has been development of a left adrenal mass which measures 2.1 x 1.6 cm and demonstrates a maximum SUV of 9

There has been development of a hypermetabolic focus along the inferior aspect of the left glenohumeral joint with a maximum SUV of 4.5 on image num 88 which is most likley related to acute exacerbation of arthritis versus less likely a metastatic lesion within the soft tissue.

Again seeing is an ill-defined sclerotic lesion involving the left posterior sacrum within a maximum SUV of 4.8 which is slightly decreased when compared to the prior examination. Again seen is a sclerotic lesion involving the right iliac bone with a maximum SUV of 2.2 which is significantly decreased since prior study. Again seen is a sclerotic lesion involving the spinous process of T3 which demonstrates a maximum SUV of 1.9, significantly decreased since prior study.

A new hypermetabolic focus is identified overlying the lateral mass of C4 which demonstrates a maximum SUV of 3.9 and may be arthritic or metastatic in etiology.

Diffuse hypermetabolic activity involving the small and large bowel is identified which is most likley inflammatory in etiology.

Normal activity is seen in the kidneys, uterers, and bladder.

IF ANYONE CAN PLEASE TELL ME THE MEANINGS OF THESE RESULTS, ONE BY ONE, THAT WOULD BE FANTASTIC! I DONT BELIEVE THIS IS A GOOD RESULT. I NEED THE TRUTH. THANKS. God Bless!

Comments

• AlanRinHBG
    AlanRinHBG Member Posts: 121
    PET results
    These results were written by a radiologist whose specialty is reading scans. this report was given to your oncologist for his technical reference. You, unless you're an expert also, aren't supposed to be able to decifer this stuff. Your oncologist should go over it with you and explain it to you in plain english that you can understand. They should be more than happy to explain it to you. If not, demand it. Maybe a dr. will answer your question here but you need to go to your own guy. It's all too technical. I've had mine explained each time it's done and they show me on a computer screen exactly what they're talking about. When you see it in front of you in HD, you'll get it.
  • deltafun
    deltafun Member Posts: 50
    Pet Scan results
    Try going to this website and ask the onclogist on that site about the results. THey are very good at getting back to you with an answer.

www.cancer grace.org