chemo for peritoneal cancer

Went to see the oncologist today to see how my husband was getting on after 3 rounds of chemo, he has decided to continue the chemo a further 3 rounds, as it seems to be keeping the ascites at bay, he will be having a scan in October, with the results 27Th. I wonder how long anyone can stay on chemo? can you have a chemo break?

Comments

• Carolyn68
    Carolyn68 Member Posts: 39
    Chemo
    I really don't have an answer for you....your onc should be able to tell you that. We are all different when it comes to PPC. I started my chemo drugs (3 of them) in June 2010, I was on a clinical study. I had chemo every 7 days, if my blood was good enough. I had that regiment until December 2010. At that time, I continued to stay on maintenance chemo with Avastin. However, this time I go every three weeks. I should be done with all my cycles in Oct. Then, I have CT and we will go from there. When you say your husband has had 3 rounds....does that mean he has had three different chemo appts?....and now, three more treatments? I don't have ascites, so there may be different drugs and routine for helping with that. But, your onc should be able to tell you if he/she thinks your husband will get a break after the CT scan. Alot of people are on maintenance drugs for along time...like I say, everyone is different. Hope for the best....and that you both get a break!!
  • belindahill
    belindahill Member Posts: 144
    Carolyn68 said:

Chemo
    I really don't have an answer for you....your onc should be able to tell you that. We are all different when it comes to PPC. I started my chemo drugs (3 of them) in June 2010, I was on a clinical study. I had chemo every 7 days, if my blood was good enough. I had that regiment until December 2010. At that time, I continued to stay on maintenance chemo with Avastin. However, this time I go every three weeks. I should be done with all my cycles in Oct. Then, I have CT and we will go from there. When you say your husband has had 3 rounds....does that mean he has had three different chemo appts?....and now, three more treatments? I don't have ascites, so there may be different drugs and routine for helping with that. But, your onc should be able to tell you if he/she thinks your husband will get a break after the CT scan. Alot of people are on maintenance drugs for along time...like I say, everyone is different. Hope for the best....and that you both get a break!!

chemo/ascites
    Hello Carolyn, my husband had 6mths of chemo last aug for colon cancer, it spread to the peritoneal after stopping chemo in June this year, started on 3 lots of chemo, Avastin, Oxliplatin IV every 3 weeks, and xeloda tabs at home, was going to do 4 rounds, but because the chemo has stopped the ascites he wants him to carry on for as long as he can manage it.
    would love to have a break soon just scared of the ascites occurring quickly, if chemo stops.Just praying to be normal again. xxx
  • Carolyn68

chemo/ascites
    Hello Carolyn, my husband had 6mths of chemo last aug for colon cancer, it spread to the peritoneal after stopping chemo in June this year, started on 3 lots of chemo, Avastin, Oxliplatin IV every 3 weeks, and xeloda tabs at home, was going to do 4 rounds, but because the chemo has stopped the ascites he wants him to carry on for as long as he can manage it.
    would love to have a break soon just scared of the ascites occurring quickly, if chemo stops.Just praying to be normal again. xxx

Ascites
    ...I know what you mean, having a break. I have been on some sort of chemo since June 2010. I am getting frustrated and impatient. But, everything is working, so I shouldn't complain. I have another CT in lst part of Nov. That will tell the story. How is your husband doing with the Avastin? I can't tell you if it works or not....time will tell for me. It has given me a horase voice. Doctors can't tell if aches and pains I am having is from Avastin or not. They don't have alot of info on it. We will never be normal again...my doctor told me it will be a NEW normal. I pray for the same. I am tired of being tired...but guess better than the alternative. I had chemo Avastin yesterday and my NUMBERS are good as well as my blood, just anxious to have my CT and move on.... do they do a CA125 on your husband for his cancer marker?...or what do they use? CA125 shows protein in your blood. I know they usually use that marker for woman, just wondering what they use on men for peritoneal cancer marker? Have a good day....we need to hang in there...I guess....and praying is the best!
  • belindahill
    Carolyn68 said:

Ascites
    ...I know what you mean, having a break. I have been on some sort of chemo since June 2010. I am getting frustrated and impatient. But, everything is working, so I shouldn't complain. I have another CT in lst part of Nov. That will tell the story. How is your husband doing with the Avastin? I can't tell you if it works or not....time will tell for me. It has given me a horase voice. Doctors can't tell if aches and pains I am having is from Avastin or not. They don't have alot of info on it. We will never be normal again...my doctor told me it will be a NEW normal. I pray for the same. I am tired of being tired...but guess better than the alternative. I had chemo Avastin yesterday and my NUMBERS are good as well as my blood, just anxious to have my CT and move on.... do they do a CA125 on your husband for his cancer marker?...or what do they use? CA125 shows protein in your blood. I know they usually use that marker for woman, just wondering what they use on men for peritoneal cancer marker? Have a good day....we need to hang in there...I guess....and praying is the best!

Carolyn
    Hi again, he has problems with his voice but its the oxaliplatin that is causing that. He has not aches and pains at the moment, the keep an eye on his cea, which has never rose since last Sept, but its not a good indicator with my husband ( Ian ).
    Yes the whole journey is hard, and knowing its only going to get worse with the chemo, and what happens when that stops, I dread to think about it. Can only live day by day. We live in England so the treatments are different.x
  • Carolyn68

Carolyn
    Hi again, he has problems with his voice but its the oxaliplatin that is causing that. He has not aches and pains at the moment, the keep an eye on his cea, which has never rose since last Sept, but its not a good indicator with my husband ( Ian ).
    Yes the whole journey is hard, and knowing its only going to get worse with the chemo, and what happens when that stops, I dread to think about it. Can only live day by day. We live in England so the treatments are different.x

Live day-by-day
    Hi...I know chemo can be tough, but you just take it day by day. I had my treatments every 7 days....but lots of time my white blood count did not cooperate. I was ill a couple days, slept ALOT...had one better day and then back to chemo. I did that for 5 months....I am still not done, on maintenance. I, too, dread going off chemo to wonder what will happen...I will see my MD then after 3 months. There is a protocol to the clinical study I am on. When you say CEA, is that his cancer marker? How old is your hsuband. Being healthy and younger, helps. I am 61 and my doctor says my age and good health prior to my cancer will help me fight! It is tough on the caregiver too. My husband, family and friends helped out tremendously....we get tired, we just sleep, we let the little things go now....our health is the # 1 in our lives. I hope you have a good weekend....just stay positive....just think about tomorrow....you will be fine. When I got bored, I put puzzles together. It helped me take my mind off the cancer and TX, my husband even helped me. It was our time together...without talking medical. Stay strong...
  • belindahill
    Carolyn68 said:

Live day-by-day
    Hi...I know chemo can be tough, but you just take it day by day. I had my treatments every 7 days....but lots of time my white blood count did not cooperate. I was ill a couple days, slept ALOT...had one better day and then back to chemo. I did that for 5 months....I am still not done, on maintenance. I, too, dread going off chemo to wonder what will happen...I will see my MD then after 3 months. There is a protocol to the clinical study I am on. When you say CEA, is that his cancer marker? How old is your hsuband. Being healthy and younger, helps. I am 61 and my doctor says my age and good health prior to my cancer will help me fight! It is tough on the caregiver too. My husband, family and friends helped out tremendously....we get tired, we just sleep, we let the little things go now....our health is the # 1 in our lives. I hope you have a good weekend....just stay positive....just think about tomorrow....you will be fine. When I got bored, I put puzzles together. It helped me take my mind off the cancer and TX, my husband even helped me. It was our time together...without talking medical. Stay strong...

carolyn
    Hi again, CEA is a cancer marker from bowel cancer, my husbands has never gone up, the secondaries is from the bowel cancer spreading to the peritoneal. He is receiving second line treatment. He was very fit before the colon cancer Aug 10, played squash etc, he is 54 now. Thank you so much for replying my messages it does help that we are not the only one. Have a good week end too. x
  • AussieMaddie
    AussieMaddie Member Posts: 345 Member
    How many treatments of chemo
    Hi Belinda,

Others woujld have to say how long they were/are on it. My only symptom from the cancer was the acscites, and I was very lucky to have almost no side effects from the chemo (Carbo/Taxol - commonly used for peritoneal cancer) Altogether, I had 11 cycles of the chemo, in a regimen of having half strength dose each for two weeks, then nothing for the next two weeks. We stopped it about a month ago. My CA125 marker started very slowly to climb before I finished the 11 cycles, which (as expected) the onc. put down to the chemo losing its effect. I'd like to think tha I can go back on the same one again after a break, with renewed effect because it took my CA125 from 13,000+ to 12 before it did statt to lose effect. Time alone will tell what is needed next. I'm asymptomatic at present. If that changes, we'll have to look at something.

As it has been said, taking it a day at a time.

All the best for your husband and yourself,

AussieMaddie
  • whitechick1028
    whitechick1028 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2021 #9

chemo/ascites

Hi Belinda, your husbands

Hi Belinda, your husbands story is very similar to what my brother is going through now. I know this post is old, but I was wondering if you could update me on your husband and how the chemo worked and for how long. Trying to give my brother some hope. Thank you. 

Melissa