Contradictory results NEED YOUR OPINION! ********* UPDATED with oncologist conclusions. *********

pepebcn
pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
edited September 2011 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Got results for CEA, PET, and CT scan:
PET: no lighting any more , ( last time lighting in 2areas)
CEA: 3.2. ( continuously droping from 20)
CT scan:Tumors stable ( so contradicting PET results)
Does it have any sense ? not to me ! Stable or no evidence? can it be necrotized tumors ?.
Did any of you ever had such a similar experience?.
Will appreciate only realistic opinions not only polite ones! hahahaha!
Hugs and thankyou in advance!

****************UPDATE***************************************
Visited onc ! conclusion nobody can say if CT images are still active or dead but since not lighting on PET, also had a complete response in lymph nodes and a normal CEA , he takes the optimistic choice and considers There is not active disease for the moment, so recommended 1 month of holidays and then start just with avastin as maintenance or mop up therapy !.
Trying to decide what to do with wife :
CanCun or Rome, or a week on an SPA in northern Spain!
Hugs! Thanks to the Lord , And love you all , my other family!

Comments

• maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    good
    no opinion dearest pepe except it all sounds GOOD....good good

sorry not to be more helpful....have 3 months of living in the bush brain...

have missed you dear boy

hugs.....mags
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    To Me
    Sounds great! Low CEA, stable as far as CT scan goes...
    I often get stable reports. To me it's good news.
    -phil
  • pepebcn
    PhillieG said:

To Me
    Sounds great! Low CEA, stable as far as CT scan goes...
    I often get stable reports. To me it's good news.
    -phil

I rather would prefer PET results!
    Theoretically there is no evidence of disease on it , so which one to choose? Can it be not stable but necrotized tumor?
  • PhillieG
    pepebcn said:

I rather would prefer PET results!
    Theoretically there is no evidence of disease on it , so which one to choose? Can it be not stable but necrotized tumor?

My Situation Pepe
    I have small spots in my lungs.
    They are stable.
    That means they are not growing.
    That means I am happy.

:-)

I'm easy to please!
  • pepebcn
    PhillieG said:

My Situation Pepe
    I have small spots in my lungs.
    They are stable.
    That means they are not growing.
    That means I am happy.

:-)

I'm easy to please!
    Hahha! Phil I know but you will agree is even better to don't
    have anything inside Specially because I need a rest of chemo!
    Haven't speak to my onc yet , but surgeon ( always too optimistic, hahaha, thinks can be just dead tumors since PET is not showing anything any more)
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn said:

Haven't speak to my onc yet , but surgeon ( always too optimistic, hahaha, thinks can be just dead tumors since PET is not showing anything any more)

I missed you as well dear Lady of the bushes !
    LOL.
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn said:

Phil ,what I don't understand is such a different resuts
    between TC and the PET!.
    Hugs my friend! Take Care!
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    pepebcn said:

I missed you as well dear Lady of the bushes !
    LOL.

Pepe......
    Im like you if PET was clear it may mean that the tumors are necrotic, BUT, if I get in that position, I think I will stay on anyway, until they prove to me that its so. My reasoning, well seems that the nodules in my throat are cancer and yet they never did light up on my last PET, so the cancer was/is there with me, just in minute increments in the throat, but there none the less. My thought for me would be to enjoy my clear PET but yet be wary of getting off or at the least being off to long thinking all is well...even with the tumors, if they are necrotic and 1 cell is still active then, well you get the idea.
    Not sure what I will do if in that situation, I hope someday I get in that position to make that decision......Im glad you are doing well sir..........buzz
  • pepebcn
    Buzzard said:

Pepe......
    Im like you if PET was clear it may mean that the tumors are necrotic, BUT, if I get in that position, I think I will stay on anyway, until they prove to me that its so. My reasoning, well seems that the nodules in my throat are cancer and yet they never did light up on my last PET, so the cancer was/is there with me, just in minute increments in the throat, but there none the less. My thought for me would be to enjoy my clear PET but yet be wary of getting off or at the least being off to long thinking all is well...even with the tumors, if they are necrotic and 1 cell is still active then, well you get the idea.
    Not sure what I will do if in that situation, I hope someday I get in that position to make that decision......Im glad you are doing well sir..........buzz

I'm sure you will Buzz!
    Yea I'm in a difficult position since I was thinking to stop chemo and wait and see in case I became clear , now I don't know if I'm clear or not! and be sure my hemorrhoids needs to have a rest of chemo! hahahahahA! take care my friend!.
  • PhillieG
    pepebcn said:

Phil ,what I don't understand is such a different resuts
    between TC and the PET!.
    Hugs my friend! Take Care!

Pepe
    Maybe it's scar tissue so that's why it didn't show on PET but showed on CT.
    I can understand how it would be nicer if everything complimented/agreed with each other.
    I haven't had a PET scan in ages, I just get CT scans
  • pepebcn
    PhillieG said:

Pepe
    Maybe it's scar tissue so that's why it didn't show on PET but showed on CT.
    I can understand how it would be nicer if everything complimented/agreed with each other.
    I haven't had a PET scan in ages, I just get CT scans

Mainly is a question of having a rest of chemo Phil my
    hemorroids urgently need it , Fu....ing Avastin! Hahahaha!.
    Thanks for your opinion my friend!
  • idlehunters
    idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
    pepebcn said:

Mainly is a question of having a rest of chemo Phil my
    hemorroids urgently need it , Fu....ing Avastin! Hahahaha!.
    Thanks for your opinion my friend!

Pepe...
    Your CEA seems to be a good indicator on your cancer activity. You were up to 20...things were lighting up.... now CEA down to normal level and nothing lighting up.... they can say "whatever" is stable but Pepe.... I think this is wonderful news for you my friend!!!! I am so very happy and excited for you

Jennie
  • laurettas
    laurettas Member Posts: 372
    A newbie opinion
    I am new to all of this but I do remember my husband's onc saying something about doing a PET scan to see if any of the spots on the CT scan were just necrotic tumors. So he evidently thought that was a possible explanation for the difference in PET vs CT. Sure hope so, for your sake!

By the way, how was World Youth Day? We loved our experience there 18 years ago!
  • pepebcn
    laurettas said:

A newbie opinion
    I am new to all of this but I do remember my husband's onc saying something about doing a PET scan to see if any of the spots on the CT scan were just necrotic tumors. So he evidently thought that was a possible explanation for the difference in PET vs CT. Sure hope so, for your sake!

By the way, how was World Youth Day? We loved our experience there 18 years ago!

WYD was awesome laurettas!
    2 million young people in the last night and next day mass !
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Heck
    It sounds good to me. My report listed a bit of this and that, but came to the conculsion they were possible cysts. Who knows? Report said no evidence of disease so I'm going with that. Still on Avastin for two more rounds, then no more chemo. (Onc had taken me off, then said, no, he didn't mean to do that and put me back on for 3 more rounds, 1 to go after this Friday, Yea!!)So I feel like you, looking forward to a chemo break!!
    Winter Marie
  • smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425 Member

Heck
    It sounds good to me. My report listed a bit of this and that, but came to the conculsion they were possible cysts. Who knows? Report said no evidence of disease so I'm going with that. Still on Avastin for two more rounds, then no more chemo. (Onc had taken me off, then said, no, he didn't mean to do that and put me back on for 3 more rounds, 1 to go after this Friday, Yea!!)So I feel like you, looking forward to a chemo break!!
    Winter Marie

Pepe, sounds like good
    Pepe, sounds like good reports. What are your lymph nodes showing now on scans?? Are they still large?? Or have they shrunk down to where nothing is showing now. I don't know how many of your lymph nodes have shown up in the past but are they now not showing up. Take care Leena
  • relaxoutdoors08
    relaxoutdoors08 Member Posts: 521 Member
    Thank you for the Prayers
    Thank you for your Prayers for all of us when the Pope visited Spain. Glad to hear good news for you.
    NB
  • pepebcn
    smokeyjoe said:

Pepe, sounds like good
    Pepe, sounds like good reports. What are your lymph nodes showing now on scans?? Are they still large?? Or have they shrunk down to where nothing is showing now. I don't know how many of your lymph nodes have shown up in the past but are they now not showing up. Take care Leena

Hi smokey , lymph nodes are in normal size now and not lighting
    good!.
    Hugs!
  • smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425 Member
    pepebcn said:

Hi smokey , lymph nodes are in normal size now and not lighting
    good!.
    Hugs!

Amazing that is such good
    Amazing that is such good news :) I cannot remember which chemo. you are on, it seems to be working for you.
  • pepebcn
    smokeyjoe said:

Amazing that is such good
    Amazing that is such good news :) I cannot remember which chemo. you are on, it seems to be working for you.

Folfiri and avastin.
    hugs Smokey.