Lung Problems

Hondo
Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
Hi everyone I am normally on head & Neck but lately been having a lot of problems with my lungs. It started a few months ago with spot pains in the chest and having problems with breathing. Some of this may have been due to the medication I was taking (Diamox) as I had no problems with the lungs until I started taking this stuff. Anyway I aspirate quite a lot when eating or drinking anything and have a lot of mucus in the lungs every morning. Yesterday when I cough up some mucus from my lungs there was blood in it, this was something new. I got off the Diamox a month ago and the breathing problem is a lot better but now this blood makes we wonder if there is another problem starting in the lungs. I have a PET scan coming next month at MD Anderson so I guess it will have to wait to then. I just wonder when you found out you had cancer in your lungs what were some of the signs..

Thanks
Hondo

Comments

• Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    Hi Hondo, sorry to see you
    Hi Hondo, sorry to see you here on the lung cancer forum, I hope it turns out to be nothing but coughing up blood is not something to take lightly. My symptoms were a persistent cough that continued to get worse, hoarseness and finally coughing up bloody phlegm.

Personally, I would contact my oncologist now and tell him what's happening and see if he feels you need the scan earlier. You know as well as any of us how long it can take to get tests scheduled and then get the results.

Hoping all goes well for you and this ends up being just another bump in the road.

Stay well,
    Glenna
  • soccerfreaks
    soccerfreaks Member Posts: 2,788 Member
    Glenna M said:

Hi Hondo, sorry to see you
    Hi Hondo, sorry to see you here on the lung cancer forum, I hope it turns out to be nothing but coughing up blood is not something to take lightly. My symptoms were a persistent cough that continued to get worse, hoarseness and finally coughing up bloody phlegm.

Personally, I would contact my oncologist now and tell him what's happening and see if he feels you need the scan earlier. You know as well as any of us how long it can take to get tests scheduled and then get the results.

Hoping all goes well for you and this ends up being just another bump in the road.

Stay well,
    Glenna

Yes
    I agree with Glenna (Hi, Glenna!) with respect to checking with OncoMan immediately, if for no other reason than your PET is probably specific to the head/neck area now, and the order will need to be modified to include the chest.

Take care,

Joe
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576

Yes
    I agree with Glenna (Hi, Glenna!) with respect to checking with OncoMan immediately, if for no other reason than your PET is probably specific to the head/neck area now, and the order will need to be modified to include the chest.

Take care,

Joe

Hi Joe :)
    Hi Joe!!!
  • Hondo
    I knew that!

I guess I knew the answer to my question; I did send a message to my Doctor at MD Anderson but did not get an answer yet. Did see my ENT about it a week or so ago, she ran her scope so far down my throat I was amazed it did not come out the other end. She then said everything there looks good. She also checked the lungs as much as possible, and could not find anything but said she will wait and see the PET scan report.

Thanks Glenna / Joe I appreciate your response, hope to hear from the Dr at MDA soon.

Hondo
  • pattyanny
    pattyanny Member Posts: 544
    Hondo said:

I knew that!

I guess I knew the answer to my question; I did send a message to my Doctor at MD Anderson but did not get an answer yet. Did see my ENT about it a week or so ago, she ran her scope so far down my throat I was amazed it did not come out the other end. She then said everything there looks good. She also checked the lungs as much as possible, and could not find anything but said she will wait and see the PET scan report.

Thanks Glenna / Joe I appreciate your response, hope to hear from the Dr at MDA soon.

Hondo

When they did my PET, they
    When they did my PET, they also do a CT scan. But the CT/Pet always included the chest. I have no symptom, although sometimes out of breath, but figured it was the 20 lb laundry bag up two flights of stairs. I guess I will find out if it is a) infection, scarring b) new tenants they have taken up residence c) the old tenants moving down into a new place. I agree with Glenna & Joe - PET sooner than later. May God be with you and give you comfort thru this stressful time Hondo! Prayers!
    Patty
  • Hondo
    pattyanny said:

When they did my PET, they
    When they did my PET, they also do a CT scan. But the CT/Pet always included the chest. I have no symptom, although sometimes out of breath, but figured it was the 20 lb laundry bag up two flights of stairs. I guess I will find out if it is a) infection, scarring b) new tenants they have taken up residence c) the old tenants moving down into a new place. I agree with Glenna & Joe - PET sooner than later. May God be with you and give you comfort thru this stressful time Hondo! Prayers!
    Patty

Hi Patty
    No stress just another door in life that must be opened. One day I will get to the last door and go to sleep with the faith that my friend Jesus will wake me up to stay with Him.

Thanks
    Hondo
  • soccerfreaks
    soccerfreaks Member Posts: 2,788 Member
    Hondo said:

I knew that!

Hondo

hmmm
    Don't know how your ENT could look at your lungs with that tube they use to have a peek inside your mouth and down your throat a bit (aka Nostrildamus). Even an endoscopy would not do the trick, as far as I know. For ENT Man to check out my lungs I needed a bronchoscopy, which I had in conjunction with an endoscopy, the first to check the lungs, the second to check the esophagus (and together they were called a pandoscopy). When you get a bronchoscopy you have to be awake initially, and you would certainly know if you had one.

Puzzling.

Joe
  • Hondo

hmmm
    Don't know how your ENT could look at your lungs with that tube they use to have a peek inside your mouth and down your throat a bit (aka Nostrildamus). Even an endoscopy would not do the trick, as far as I know. For ENT Man to check out my lungs I needed a bronchoscopy, which I had in conjunction with an endoscopy, the first to check the lungs, the second to check the esophagus (and together they were called a pandoscopy). When you get a bronchoscopy you have to be awake initially, and you would certainly know if you had one.

Puzzling.

Joe

Hi Joe

She did not check the lungs she was looking to see if there was a bleeder anywhere in the nasal or throat. Her reason is because of all the rad treatment and the veins being so easy to damage and bleed. Something might be bleeding and because I aspirate might be going into the lungs at night when I sleep, as I have to sleep on a 30 degree angle. Still did not hear from the Oncal man, I will call back angin today. So far no more bleeding

Thanks
    Hondo