UPDATED "put up or shut up" I have made the core argument clearer I hope SUGAR

pete43lost_at_sea
pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
edited August 2011 in Colorectal Cancer #1
UPDATE 16aug2011.

checkout blakes post thats clearer in some respects
http://csn.cancer.org/node/224351

A wise mentor, not on this board, suggested the only way oncologists will start advising walking is when a patient who dies sues then for negligence. I still have the uptmost faith in my doctors, our society and system, but if thats what it takes to get the doctors to use their position of authority then i guess thats what it has to be. a class action in australia or the usa. it will happen soon i feel, as so many lives are being lost due to negligence of all concerned.

The exercise / walking message is not being delivered clearly or forcefully enough on bowel cancer australia website, or csn for that matter. so the doctors are not alone in dragging the chain. It won't be long before the walking message is posted everywhere. when that day comes shed a tear for the thousands of lives lost due to the delay in getting this simple message broadcast around the world.

hugs,
pete

ps you are invited to join the walking post.

ORIGINAL POST
Is this to much for CSN ? [ the concept of patient being assertive in the medical system]

Who wants to bet if they print it and post it in the office ? [will my doctors support my idea]

Maybe we can pay it forward, get off our own butts and save some other lives.
[the concept that getting other crc's to move, to walk will save their lives]

does anyone think emailing this to your doctor is to pushy ? [no one answered this so far]

maybe we should just print it ourselves, laminate it and then go and post in the doctors
offices our selves. Oh that way to militant. [customer service, i really won't care thats top class, if I am wrong explain it to me, if I am right then adopt the study and give life saving life style advice to crc stage 1-3 patients. Its simple to me.]

hugs,
pete

I just emailed this to my ONC and COLORECTAL SURGEON
||||||||||||||||||EMAIL I SENT BELOW||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
RE ITS ABOUT TIME lets push the envelope just a little, print 2 pages, put on your patient noticeboard. THATs ALL

Dear Onc and Surgeon,

Will see each of you soon for my checks, just a note to say a big thanks for the great care so far.

Of course I don’t expect it to stop now either.

I saw this article, that I have been following myself since Christmas, but now we have another study backing up exercise.

Would you guys mind printing off the study and putting it on the office walls to educate your patients about exercise benefits.

Just an idea to save a life. Leading ONCOLOGIST you are a top oncologist in a position of leadership of other oncs.

Leading colorectal SURGEON you are teaching new colorectal surgeons.

Just a suggestion or is it a plee. You see between the two of you got new and old doctors covered.

It would be great if you guys efforts with regard to motivating patients to exercise helped keep Saint Vincents at the ledging edge of cancer care in Australia , which is a place I feel it belongs.

I cannot even blame the DEXAMETHASONE for the contents of this email, just my good intentions and attempts to buy indulgences.

This is my walking post, where I have been pushing colorectal patients to walk to prevent recurrence.
http://csn.cancer.org/node/223799#comment-1102482

This is the new study news item again advocating survival benefit for exercise.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/232406.php

Yours sincerely,

Pete43lost_at_sea
||||||||||||||||||||||||EMAIL ABOVE SENT TO ONC AND SURGEON|||||||||||||||||||||

The walking post
http://csn.cancer.org/node/223799

Comments

• Buckwirth
    Buckwirth Member Posts: 1,258 Member
    Who disagrees about the
    Benefit of exercise? Did your Onc say something? Were you challenged by someone on CSN?

I suppose I just don't understand the tone at the start of the message.
  • toyfox
    toyfox Member Posts: 158 Member
    exercise

My husband walks on a treadmill for one hour every day except for a few days
    after treatment. When he mentioned it to his onc....was told it was important to
    keep it up after chemo.
    Linda
  • Buckwirth
    Here is a direct link:
    to the actual review:

The importance of physical activity for people living with and beyond cancer: A concise evidence review

Note that this is not a "new study", rather it is a review of past studies that have evaluated the benefit of exercise. Still, it is an easy read with a minimum of technical jargon, and it might be helpful to share with your oncologist if you want a prescription for physical therapy.
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    Buckwirth said:

Here is a direct link:
    to the actual review:

The importance of physical activity for people living with and beyond cancer: A concise evidence review

Note that this is not a "new study", rather it is a review of past studies that have evaluated the benefit of exercise. Still, it is an easy read with a minimum of technical jargon, and it might be helpful to share with your oncologist if you want a prescription for physical therapy.

my survival is in my hands, its clear unarguable
    i have been struggling to achieve this for myself and maybe motivate others.

the report clearly state the doctors absolute negligence in failing to advise about this.

no doctors push this really really hard that i have met.

maybe most on this board should have a break from posting and go for a walk.

the few enightened souls who have embraced exercise, who have encouraged my efforts, i appreciate.

sit on the couch and wait for the crc!!!!!! i am going for a walk.
    i have a feather in my quiver, except this arrow does not kill it saves.
    read the walking post.

its always been, survival of the fittest, now its just been backed up by more science not just commonsense.

obviously its also survival of the most intelligent, after all you gotta be able to read and understand articles.

oh yes, this is the tip of the survival iceberg. after we get exercise widely accepted and pushed, well then diet.

blake does this get stage4 up from say 10% to 20%. your the stats man ?

this report is not stage specific is it ?is it ?

i would think those who are so desperate would embrace the clearest and simplest tool that can help save them. but not many stage4 have joined the walking post.

oh of course we are all , different, not every treatment for everyone. i say thats rubbish,

the frustration is i have not walked enough myself, that my friends here have not walked enough, that the doctors have clearly failed in there duty of care.

our fate is our hands, my fate is in my feet.

got to go walk, i hope i have some company today.

hugs,
    pete
  • Buckwirth

the report clearly state the doctors absolute negligence in failing to advise about this.

the few enightened souls who have embraced exercise, who have encouraged my efforts, i appreciate.

read the walking post.

its always been, survival of the fittest, now its just been backed up by more science not just commonsense.

obviously its also survival of the most intelligent, after all you gotta be able to read and understand articles.

oh yes, this is the tip of the survival iceberg. after we get exercise widely accepted and pushed, well then diet.

i would think those who are so desperate would embrace the clearest and simplest tool that can help save them. but not many stage4 have joined the walking post.

oh of course we are all , different, not every treatment for everyone. i say thats rubbish,

the frustration is i have not walked enough myself, that my friends here have not walked enough, that the doctors have clearly failed in there duty of care.

hugs,
    pete

Pete,
    "this report is not stage specific is it ?is it ?"

For CRC survival it is. The studies mentioned were about post-surgical recurrence in Stage 1-3.

You have a good message, but to be frank, I find your delivery a bit off-putting. Use a little sugar and you may get a larger audience.
  • northernlites
    northernlites Member Posts: 96

read the walking post.

hugs,
    pete

Hi Pete,
    walked again today

Hi Pete,
    walked again today and I felt so good after I even folded laundry. I agree walking helps. I love your inspiring attitude...

tessa
  • pete43lost_at_sea

Hi Pete,
    walked again today

Hi Pete,
    walked again today and I felt so good after I even folded laundry. I agree walking helps. I love your inspiring attitude...

tessa

thanks tessa
    i have one fan. gee i miss gracie, she is before your time.
    your nice comment got me moving. thanks, its a struggle for me.
    i used to be an elephant in a past life.

hugs,
    pete
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    Buckwirth said:

Pete,
    "this report is not stage specific is it ?is it ?"

For CRC survival it is. The studies mentioned were about post-surgical recurrence in Stage 1-3.

You have a good message, but to be frank, I find your delivery a bit off-putting. Use a little sugar and you may get a larger audience.

you know my concerns re sugar ha ha
    we are what we are, sweet or bitter.

exercise is a bitter sweet message.

i am very very very sorry our stage 4 friends cannot benefit from this,
    dammitt another reason stage 1-3 better get moving fast, you have a limited window to help yourself.

maybe all the other more eloquent long term crc guys and girls can be involved.

begs another question ? what about neds ? i bet yes.

i did not take my kikds to school, i went walking instead. i am walking for my kids.

blake, can you please sugar coat the message for me and do a new post, lets just save a few lives.i sweetened the title.

its the doctors job to save lives , not mine!!!!

they can do so much better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can't they ?

hugs,
    pete

ps sell your big pharma shares.
    blake if every stage 1-3 did this how lives would be saved per year.
    how much money not spent chemo for stage 4 s ?
    profit or health ?
  • yoga
    yoga Member Posts: 87

thanks tessa
    i have one fan. gee i miss gracie, she is before your time.
    your nice comment got me moving. thanks, its a struggle for me.
    i used to be an elephant in a past life.

hugs,
    pete

Exercise is where it's at!
    Well, I am stage 4 (diagnosed last summer) and I have worked incredibly hard to get myself moving. I was so weak that I couldn't function properly. Yesterday I gardened for 1.5 hours and was on the treadmill for 50 minutes with 3lb weights. Today it was yoga for an hour (didn't start yoga until after my diagnosis), serious house cleaning for a couple of hours and a short moonlight swim. Tomorrow my day will start with a 4.5km power walk and I have at least 2 hours of gardening to do as well. Will all of this help me survive longer? I don't know, but it certainly won't hurt me. And . . . . should I ever be a candidate for surgery, my body will be strong.

Exercise also serves to elevate moods, calm the inner self, provides a sense of accomplishment each time an activity is completed, allows us to feel pride in ourselves and leads to greater self-confidence. I believe anyone - with or without cancer - should be up and active.

I also believe that all medical professionals should - no, need - to push people to become more active, to whatever extent they are able. It is also my belief that exercise will lead to a better quality of life for those of us with stage 4 cancer, those with stage 1,2 or 3 cancer and the rest of society in general.

I do miss golfing; there are just not enough outhouses on the courses . . . . sigh. And downhill skiing - yikes! - imagine being on a chairlift and suddenly needing a bathroom?!?

Anyway . . . . that is my two cents worth.
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    yoga said:

Exercise is where it's at!
    Well, I am stage 4 (diagnosed last summer) and I have worked incredibly hard to get myself moving. I was so weak that I couldn't function properly. Yesterday I gardened for 1.5 hours and was on the treadmill for 50 minutes with 3lb weights. Today it was yoga for an hour (didn't start yoga until after my diagnosis), serious house cleaning for a couple of hours and a short moonlight swim. Tomorrow my day will start with a 4.5km power walk and I have at least 2 hours of gardening to do as well. Will all of this help me survive longer? I don't know, but it certainly won't hurt me. And . . . . should I ever be a candidate for surgery, my body will be strong.

Exercise also serves to elevate moods, calm the inner self, provides a sense of accomplishment each time an activity is completed, allows us to feel pride in ourselves and leads to greater self-confidence. I believe anyone - with or without cancer - should be up and active.

I also believe that all medical professionals should - no, need - to push people to become more active, to whatever extent they are able. It is also my belief that exercise will lead to a better quality of life for those of us with stage 4 cancer, those with stage 1,2 or 3 cancer and the rest of society in general.

I do miss golfing; there are just not enough outhouses on the courses . . . . sigh. And downhill skiing - yikes! - imagine being on a chairlift and suddenly needing a bathroom?!?

Anyway . . . . that is my two cents worth.

your comments are worth far more than two cents
    dear yoga,

its nice to have a really supportitive reply.

i hope exercise keeps you strong.

hugs,
    pete
  • thingy45
    thingy45 Member Posts: 632 Member

your comments are worth far more than two cents
    dear yoga,

its nice to have a really supportitive reply.

i hope exercise keeps you strong.

hugs,
    pete

Hi Pete,
    Yes exercise is

Hi Pete,
    Yes exercise is part of the survival, I just had my second CEA test and all came back clear. still NED. I juice and take Monavie juices with 19 different fruits and berries including Acai and Lychee, both known to fight cancer cells. I walk and I swim.
    Get moving is always good even if you start with 5 min. on the treadmill and bring it up every day a little more. Bathroom always close by.That is how I started now up to 30 min.
    twice a day.
    Motivating others is good keep it up!
    Hugs Marjan
  • Matta
    Matta Member Posts: 39
    exercise
    I had no energy for a long time but then I started walking and my energy grew. After my chemo treatment finished I began to have a bad neuropathy and osteoarthritis so I hold back on my walks. I wish I could find a way to have a life with out all this pain all the time!

Thank you Pete
  • yoga
    yoga Member Posts: 87
    Matta said:

exercise
    I had no energy for a long time but then I started walking and my energy grew. After my chemo treatment finished I began to have a bad neuropathy and osteoarthritis so I hold back on my walks. I wish I could find a way to have a life with out all this pain all the time!

Thank you Pete

Matta . . . . have you tried reboudning?
    Matta,

Sorry to hear that chemo side effects are holding you back. Have you tried rebounding? I was uncertain about the claimed benefits so discussed with my naturopathic doctor and she agreed with my information. . . . I had read that rebounding helps drain the lymphatic system as well as give a good work out - easy to do at home and easy on the body. (You can also get a stabalizer bar to help with balance if necessary.) I found a used one online for $20. To research try googling 'rebounding and cancer'.

Hoping you find new and creative ways to exercise and continue to grow your energy level. Having energy certainly makes this whole thing easier to handle!
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member

read the walking post.

hugs,
    pete

Exercise Our Rights (and our Lefts)
    Hi Pete,
    Just because one doesn't post in the stage IV walking post that doesn't mean they DON'T walk. That doesn't mean they DO walk either...
    ;-)
    I just got back for a 2-3 mile hike in the woods with my son. It was great, very marshy, probably ticks too, I got a few nice welts from mosquitoes, poison ivy all around, and I loved every minute of it. I also got out last week and did about 2-3 miles at a nice place in NJ that I used to go mountain biking in years ago. Then the BANNED bikes!!! A sore spot for sure. Horses are still allowed and there's no pooper-scooper law for them. Anyway...I regress.

Sometimes the most obvious things to do are ones that are not done like watching our diet and exercising. I don't think there's a doctor out there who will say that exercise is bad for anyone. Maybe it's and assumption on their part that people are doing it when in fact, most people have to be pushed into it.

Your post reminds me of the one I had made about the TED talk and e-patient Dave and how he is pushing for we, the patients, to be involved with healthcare and be part of the solution.
    Here's a link to that post Dave deBronkart: How We Can Help Each Other
    Here's a link to the e-Patients site

There's a quote from page 4 of the ePatients White Paper PDF (that can be found on the right side under "e-Patients: How They Can Help Us Heal Healthcare" that reads:
    "...[When patients] participate more actively in the process of medical care, we can create a new healthcare system with higher quality services, better outcomes, lower costs, fewer mistakes, and happier, healthier patients. We must make this the new gold standard of healthcare quality and the ultimate goal of all our improvement efforts:
    Not better hospitals.
    Not better physician practices.
    Not more sophisticated electronic medical systems.
    Happier, healthier patients.

~ Charles Safran

So, could doctors push the exercise more? You bet!
    Can we help more with making the system better? You bet again!
    I just wanted to revisit this topic again since you brought up the exercise aspect of this.
    All the best
    -phil
    (keep on truckin')
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member

you know my concerns re sugar ha ha
    we are what we are, sweet or bitter.

exercise is a bitter sweet message.

i am very very very sorry our stage 4 friends cannot benefit from this,
    dammitt another reason stage 1-3 better get moving fast, you have a limited window to help yourself.

maybe all the other more eloquent long term crc guys and girls can be involved.

begs another question ? what about neds ? i bet yes.

i did not take my kikds to school, i went walking instead. i am walking for my kids.

blake, can you please sugar coat the message for me and do a new post, lets just save a few lives.i sweetened the title.

its the doctors job to save lives , not mine!!!!

they can do so much better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can't they ?

hugs,
    pete

ps sell your big pharma shares.
    blake if every stage 1-3 did this how lives would be saved per year.
    how much money not spent chemo for stage 4 s ?
    profit or health ?

"its the doctors job to save lives, not mine"
    I have to disagree on this Pete or at least add something to it.
    WE have a HUGE responsibility in our own health. I know I just took one line from your post but it makes as much sense as saying "I put my kid in school and it's up to the teachers to make them smart kids". As a parent (which you are too I believe) you should know that this is not how it works. Parents MUST also be involved with their kids outside of school. You don't just drop them off in the 1st grade and pick them up in 12 years and have a smart, well adjusted kid. We must be involved with our healthcare just as we must be involved in our children's education.

Of course we need the expertise of our doctors but we have to help ourselves and help them too. We can't have a "hands-off" approach. They can, and do, make mistakes at times. We've got to be part of our solution IMO.
    -phil
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    PhillieG said:

"its the doctors job to save lives, not mine"
    I have to disagree on this Pete or at least add something to it.
    WE have a HUGE responsibility in our own health. I know I just took one line from your post but it makes as much sense as saying "I put my kid in school and it's up to the teachers to make them smart kids". As a parent (which you are too I believe) you should know that this is not how it works. Parents MUST also be involved with their kids outside of school. You don't just drop them off in the 1st grade and pick them up in 12 years and have a smart, well adjusted kid. We must be involved with our healthcare just as we must be involved in our children's education.

Of course we need the expertise of our doctors but we have to help ourselves and help them too. We can't have a "hands-off" approach. They can, and do, make mistakes at times. We've got to be part of our solution IMO.
    -phil

phil sorry help me understand, i agree with you thanks
    phil sorry help me understand, i agree with you thanks

why everyone here is not emailing there doctors ? the silence is heart breaking for me.

i will not worry about my friends here who have been notified of exercises benefits and don't join in. thats cool, its there choice.

its just all the recently diagnosed patients stage 1-3 are ARE NOT told.

god dammitt they compel us to take chemo for 15% and don't mention exercise for 53%

is this study just crap ? i say no, by everyones silence i guess its i'll wait on the couch for crc.

the doctors are scared shiiitless, because some may question adjuvant folfox, which buys 15% survival boost for stage 3 at about $20000 for the drug, when you can get a greater survival benefit for walking. come on any io missing something here.

as a forum for crc its our responsibily to care for new crc patients.

why are all new stage3 not joining the walking post?

so why why why are all stage 1-3 not exercising or at least being told they really really should be, that the savings are around 53% ?

answer me anyone ????????? for gods sake what this forum about

i did my 40 min on the treadmill today. has anybody else ?

using stats i recon i'll get an extra 25 years of life if i do 4 x 40 = 160 min walking a week. based on my age 44 living another 50 years, then discounting that by 50% giving 25 years.

that over 5 years to be cancer free that 5 x 50 = 250 weeks
    that 250 weeks x 4 walks = 1000 walks over 5 years.

1000 walks buy me the equivalent of 25 years extra life which is 9125 days.

so 1000 walks buys 9125 days of life

or 1 walk buys 9.125 days

now thats just with exercise

150,000 new crc in fat usa each year.
    assume 100,000 stage 1-3 crc
    53% only 53,000 lives saved every year if fat usa becomes thin usa.

not sorry to be blunt,

its as bitter pill exercise and diet, for just shallow and smile.

i am still new on this board, this science is not new. i find it, it changes my life, but so few others. am i misguided, or just lucky i am an early adopter, or just so dam desperate to beat crc. my doctors did not tell me ? i am pissed. they did not encourage me ? i wanted a pat on thre back from them ? or a pat on the back here ? not many here but a few. I'll pat myself on the the back. just did it, gee i feel better now.

when i see my kids i just walk. i have a dream, i want every crc stage 1-3 in the world to start walking now. if i am gonna dream, its gonna be big.

i feel we are a crucial point, the studies out, lets do the epatient dave stuff, lets use the net from some huge purpose like saving crc lives. thenmaybe the other cancers who benefit can tagg along.

i am looking after myself walking, posting here. between all of us crc on csn we could really start doing something so far more effective than posting.

phil thanks at least for replying, it bumps the issue a little higher. maybe a extra new diagnosed crc will start walking, mate that 1/2 a life saved. we could split the good calma 50/50 its still 1/4 life each. that person might buys us lunch one day, or remember us kindly if we don't make into the tail club.

hugs,
    pete
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    no need
    Pete,

I don't have any reason to email, call, write or go visit my oncologist about this subject. I was diagnosed at Stage 1, and I have been reminded at every visit, starting with my first, that exercise is the best defense for me. So I really have no issues with my very fine oncologist about this matter.

*hugs*
    Gail

P.S. And it's not his fault that I don't exercise more!
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    PhillieG said:

Exercise Our Rights (and our Lefts)
    Hi Pete,
    Just because one doesn't post in the stage IV walking post that doesn't mean they DON'T walk. That doesn't mean they DO walk either...
    ;-)
    I just got back for a 2-3 mile hike in the woods with my son. It was great, very marshy, probably ticks too, I got a few nice welts from mosquitoes, poison ivy all around, and I loved every minute of it. I also got out last week and did about 2-3 miles at a nice place in NJ that I used to go mountain biking in years ago. Then the BANNED bikes!!! A sore spot for sure. Horses are still allowed and there's no pooper-scooper law for them. Anyway...I regress.

Sometimes the most obvious things to do are ones that are not done like watching our diet and exercising. I don't think there's a doctor out there who will say that exercise is bad for anyone. Maybe it's and assumption on their part that people are doing it when in fact, most people have to be pushed into it.

Your post reminds me of the one I had made about the TED talk and e-patient Dave and how he is pushing for we, the patients, to be involved with healthcare and be part of the solution.
    Here's a link to that post Dave deBronkart: How We Can Help Each Other
    Here's a link to the e-Patients site

There's a quote from page 4 of the ePatients White Paper PDF (that can be found on the right side under "e-Patients: How They Can Help Us Heal Healthcare" that reads:
    "...[When patients] participate more actively in the process of medical care, we can create a new healthcare system with higher quality services, better outcomes, lower costs, fewer mistakes, and happier, healthier patients. We must make this the new gold standard of healthcare quality and the ultimate goal of all our improvement efforts:
    Not better hospitals.
    Not better physician practices.
    Not more sophisticated electronic medical systems.
    Happier, healthier patients.

~ Charles Safran

So, could doctors push the exercise more? You bet!
    Can we help more with making the system better? You bet again!
    I just wanted to revisit this topic again since you brought up the exercise aspect of this.
    All the best
    -phil
    (keep on truckin')

thanks again mate
    i am glad your walking.
    e patients is cool, no time to check it out.
    just emailed gretta to get this on the front page of csn.

hears to a dream we all share in our hearts, please help, your comments are priceless.

i have praised my doctotrs heaps, but they can also improve, i have challenged mine, has anyone else?

hugs,
    pete
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    Matta said:

exercise

Thank you Pete

oh my dear
    sorry about the pain, look up our neuropathy posts.
    maybe swimming ? we gotta move to live. i hope you find something that works,ask your doctor.

hugs,
    pete
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    yoga said:

Matta . . . . have you tried reboudning?
    Matta,

Sorry to hear that chemo side effects are holding you back. Have you tried rebounding? I was uncertain about the claimed benefits so discussed with my naturopathic doctor and she agreed with my information. . . . I had read that rebounding helps drain the lymphatic system as well as give a good work out - easy to do at home and easy on the body. (You can also get a stabalizer bar to help with balance if necessary.) I found a used one online for $20. To research try googling 'rebounding and cancer'.

Hoping you find new and creative ways to exercise and continue to grow your energy level. Having energy certainly makes this whole thing easier to handle!

thats a great idea yoga, thanks
    hugs,
    pete