Ugh...again?

msdeme
msdeme Member Posts: 1
I can't believe I am going through this again! In Aug, 2007 I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I was 37 with no family history. 4 surgeries, 6 rounds of chemo later, I had a 92% 5 year survival rate. I came out of it in a better place.

I was at a regular checkup with my oncologist last week and asked her to look at a mole. Now mind you, I casually mentioned it to my PCP a few years ago at a physical, she took a look at it, traced it on a piece of paper and said don't worry about it. I trusted her opinion! The size hasn't changed much since then but the color and height of it has. So, now I am scared because my oncologist wouldn't let me leave the office until I had an appointment with a derm. She even had them move their patients around to get me in sooner and then set me up with another appointment with her to "make a treatment plan". I am kicking myself for not showing my oncologist this mole sooner.

I am a single mom with a sophomore in college and a junior in high school. I am not looking forward to having this conversation with them but will wait until I get official diagnosis. I just feel like I am on the edge of another life changing event and the waiting to get there is pretty much driving me crazy

Can my oncologist know with 100% certainty that this mole is melanoma or is there a chance that it is just "weird"? You know how the waiting game goes and I am on edge and losing sleep. My derm appointment is Tuesday morning.

Comments

• disol
    disol Member Posts: 1
    mole
    When I went to my dermo, yes unfortunately he could tell. But it could be contained to the upper skin layer and then it's a pretty easy procedure and no chemo.
  • Zod66
    Zod66 Member Posts: 28
    biopsy
    I'll assume you've had this biopsied by now and know for sure. For those who are casually reading this the only way you will know 100% if an area is cancerous or not is to have it biopsied. My PA looked at my mole and said it didn't look like a problem but after going to a dermatologist, who wasn't sure just by looking at it, and having it biopsied it ended up being Stage III Melanoma.
    Opinions are just that, an opinion.
  • tinkerbell91010
    tinkerbell91010 Member Posts: 4
    What was the results to ur appt?
  • tinkerbell91010
    tinkerbell91010 Member Posts: 4
    Zod66 said:

biopsy
    I'll assume you've had this biopsied by now and know for sure. For those who are casually reading this the only way you will know 100% if an area is cancerous or not is to have it biopsied. My PA looked at my mole and said it didn't look like a problem but after going to a dermatologist, who wasn't sure just by looking at it, and having it biopsied it ended up being Stage III Melanoma.
    Opinions are just that, an opinion.

biopsy
    My pcp said my mole was ok too, and it turned out to be stage III melanoma too, so i very much agree with you.