Waiting for surgery re: Kidney removal

123457»

Comments

• puppetman
    puppetman Member Posts: 53
    jona187 said:

welcome back and I wish you
    welcome back and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Try to rest alot and walk like others said. Don't over exert yourself as well :)

I had My right kidney
    I had My right kidney removed on May 4th 2011, it does take time, My Doc told Me to walk a lot, don't lift nothing and just take it easy, after a week of being home you will fell like doing a little bit of stuff "but don't or you will end up back in the hospital like I did", after three weeks you will start feeling pretty ok and want to do things, but ONLY do very light house work and do lots of walking, and drink lots of water.

I thought I could Handel anything, but when the Doc first told Me I had kidney cancer, it kind of rocked My world, even after the Doc told Me He got it all, I still feel really down and sad, the hardest part of being home for me is being around people and hiding how down and sad I really feel, but still do what Your Doc says.
  • jona187
    jona187 Member Posts: 71
    puppetman said:

I had My right kidney
    I had My right kidney removed on May 4th 2011, it does take time, My Doc told Me to walk a lot, don't lift nothing and just take it easy, after a week of being home you will fell like doing a little bit of stuff "but don't or you will end up back in the hospital like I did", after three weeks you will start feeling pretty ok and want to do things, but ONLY do very light house work and do lots of walking, and drink lots of water.

I thought I could Handel anything, but when the Doc first told Me I had kidney cancer, it kind of rocked My world, even after the Doc told Me He got it all, I still feel really down and sad, the hardest part of being home for me is being around people and hiding how down and sad I really feel, but still do what Your Doc says.

hang in there man
    we are

hang in there man

we are here to support you
  • VeryAnxious
    VeryAnxious Member Posts: 67
    jona187 said:

hang in there man
    we are

hang in there man

Also glad to see you positng
    Also glad to see you positng again Darryl. Don't rush the recovery. I know I got depressed and antsy and it does not help. Rest is so important.
  • VeryAnxious
    VeryAnxious Member Posts: 67
    jona187 said:

hang in there man
    we are

hang in there man

Also glad to see you positng again Darryl. Don't rush the recovery. I know I got depressed and antsy and it does not help. Rest is so important.
  • puppetman
    puppetman Member Posts: 53

Sorry I have not been on
    Sorry I have not been on here much, but I am doing good, I am healing up very good and faster then most "My Doc told Me that"
  • DarrylPe
    DarrylPe Member Posts: 75
    puppetman said:

Sorry I have not been on
    Sorry I have not been on here much, but I am doing good, I am healing up very good and faster then most "My Doc told Me that"

good to hear from you
    Good to hear from you puppetman. Glad your healing well. Its surprising how fast you can recover. Stay strong

Darryl
  • kjwarner
    kjwarner Member Posts: 7
    DarrylPe said:

good to hear from you
    Good to hear from you puppetman. Glad your healing well. Its surprising how fast you can recover. Stay strong

Darryl

Information Please
    My precious Dad is 85 and is going to have his right kidney removed. He has a 2.6cm tumor in the right one and the left is small and is not promising for taking the load after surgery. He is ok with dialysis and has a great attitude. He is VERY active and is extremely independent. He is most concerned about his ability to recover. He mows grass, works in the wood shop, helps my Mom and does many things for others. It is all about QUALITY for him.

Most of you appear to be much younger. From your experience do you think he can recover from such a dramatic surgery. He is not ready to give up, I know he will try.

Please give me your thoughts. All I have read has been encouraging but I wanted to tell you his story and get your ideas.

Many thanks!!
  • Jamie1.3cm
    Jamie1.3cm Member Posts: 188

Mobility
    They'll have you up walking the day after surgery! But you really wont be eager to move for a few weeks. Take it slow. Let your body tell you your limits.

Your dad
    Statistically, the majority of kidney cancer cases are men over 60; I guess they just don't spend much time in the forums.

I'm guessing that given the situation the docs will want to be as kidney-sparing as possible. And his tumor is still small, so that gives us all sorts of options.

Ask about cryoablating (freeze-killing) the tumor while leaving the kidney intact. Or, they could do a partial nephrectomy, only taking half the kidney. Taking the entire kidney would be the last resort.

The surgery could be an open abdominal surgery, which is a **** to recover from. Or whatever they do, could be done laproscopically, which is less traumatic and easier to recover from. From what I've read, they are more likely to do laproscopic in the older folks.

If you're in an area where they don't give you many options, I'd go to the nearest major medical center, like a teaching hospital, where they might offer more options. It would be well worth it in the long run.

After surgery, just be sure to get follow up ct scans done at least annually. For those of us with tumors <3cm, that is usually all that is needed. Surgery is usually the "cure."

Hope that info helps!
  • kjwarner

Your dad
    Statistically, the majority of kidney cancer cases are men over 60; I guess they just don't spend much time in the forums.

I'm guessing that given the situation the docs will want to be as kidney-sparing as possible. And his tumor is still small, so that gives us all sorts of options.

Ask about cryoablating (freeze-killing) the tumor while leaving the kidney intact. Or, they could do a partial nephrectomy, only taking half the kidney. Taking the entire kidney would be the last resort.

The surgery could be an open abdominal surgery, which is a **** to recover from. Or whatever they do, could be done laproscopically, which is less traumatic and easier to recover from. From what I've read, they are more likely to do laproscopic in the older folks.

If you're in an area where they don't give you many options, I'd go to the nearest major medical center, like a teaching hospital, where they might offer more options. It would be well worth it in the long run.

After surgery, just be sure to get follow up ct scans done at least annually. For those of us with tumors <3cm, that is usually all that is needed. Surgery is usually the "cure."

Hope that info helps!</p>

Thank you
    Thank you for all the information. I was incorrect and found out last night the tumor is 6.6 cm which I understand is an entirely different subject. They are going to try to do the surgery laproscopy or robotic, will know more in a day or two. We are thinking they will schedule surgery in the next couple of days.

Dad is nervous but very willing to do this if they think this is best. He just doesn't want them to do it "just because". They have given us every reason to believe that the cancer (if it is and that is likely) is still contained in the kidney.

My biggest concern is recovery. He is very active and a tough guy. I surely appreciate your input and looks like you really hang in there to help those new to this sight. Thank you so much, it's at times like these than you learn how many compassionate people are out there!!!
  • BG
    BG Member Posts: 85 Member
    kjwarner said:

Thank you
    Thank you for all the information. I was incorrect and found out last night the tumor is 6.6 cm which I understand is an entirely different subject. They are going to try to do the surgery laproscopy or robotic, will know more in a day or two. We are thinking they will schedule surgery in the next couple of days.

Dad is nervous but very willing to do this if they think this is best. He just doesn't want them to do it "just because". They have given us every reason to believe that the cancer (if it is and that is likely) is still contained in the kidney.

My biggest concern is recovery. He is very active and a tough guy. I surely appreciate your input and looks like you really hang in there to help those new to this sight. Thank you so much, it's at times like these than you learn how many compassionate people are out there!!!

just finished partial lapro
    I just finished a partial laproscopic nephrectomy with the davinci and I can say I feel the recovery has not been bad. I am ome, after 3 days in hospital, eating, walking around, with minimal pain.

Wish you all the best, and my prayers are with you all.

BG
  • kjwarner
    BG said:

just finished partial lapro
    I just finished a partial laproscopic nephrectomy with the davinci and I can say I feel the recovery has not been bad. I am ome, after 3 days in hospital, eating, walking around, with minimal pain.

Wish you all the best, and my prayers are with you all.

BG

Partial Lapro
    BG- glad to hear you are doing so well. Please keep posting your progress. It helps so much. We should know tomorrow when my Dad is scheduled for his surgery. It will be a total removal and he is 85 but in great shape. I am very inspired by all of the posts and hope he can recover from all of this!!!

Thanks again and I am praying for each of you.
  • DarrylPe
    DarrylPe Member Posts: 75
    kjwarner said:

Partial Lapro
    BG- glad to hear you are doing so well. Please keep posting your progress. It helps so much. We should know tomorrow when my Dad is scheduled for his surgery. It will be a total removal and he is 85 but in great shape. I am very inspired by all of the posts and hope he can recover from all of this!!!

Thanks again and I am praying for each of you.

Best wishes
    Hi KJ Warner your dad sounds like a great guy and tough too. I had a radical nephrectomy complete removal of my right kidney in mid April. Your dad will be tired for awhile after the surgery so tell him that's normal. Also it could take several days before he feels like eating normal amounts of food. He may have trouble sleeping if he dosen't like sleeping on his back . I slept on my couch and lounge chair for the first few days. Good luck and keep us posted . I'll keep your father and your family in my prays.

Darryl
  • kidkenpo
    kidkenpo Member Posts: 20
    DarrylPe said:

Here's to you
    Hi Health great to see you back. Get plenty of rest and walk as much as you can it really helps.

Darryl

Sorry its been awhile
    It’s been a little over two months since the surgery and feeling better every day. Question to all! I did have the laparoscopic done, but the scar below my belly button was big then they had original planned. My question is about scar tissue building up... has anyone addressed this? I was told by friends to massage the area to keep it from getting worse. Any thoughts would be great! Also I hope all on this page are doing well, and hope everyone is feeling better every day.

Heath