Dealing with Lobectomy

Comments

• lekkerone
    lekkerone Member Posts: 199 Member
    Kimmiann said:

VATS
    Sissylu,

VATS is video assisted thoracic surgery. That is how I had my right lower lobe removed. It is more of a laproscopic surgery. I had 2 small incisions (one on lower back and one of right side) about 1 inch and then a larger 3-4 inch incision (on side and rounding under breast) and a drain tube (under breast). I have a total of 4 scars from the surgery with the largest being the 3-4 inch one.

I had surgery 8 weeks ago and I still have minor pain in the incision areas an if i move wrong it hurts. However, VATS is a much smaller surgery than an open type like you indicated. I did notice an increase in incision pain since I started chemo.

Kim

VATS
    Hi Kim
    I had a lobectomy Dec. 01/10.. I had a video conference with my surgeon 10 days ago. He said that the pain from the VATS surgery can last as long as a year for some people. He said it is nerve and rib pain where they did the surgery. In all of the four places you mentioned. This is because those spots were irritated during the surgery and is nothing to worry about. I was happy to hear that because I was a bit concerned.
  • grama17
    grama17 Member Posts: 14
    Kimmiann said:

VATS
    Sissylu,

VATS is video assisted thoracic surgery. That is how I had my right lower lobe removed. It is more of a laproscopic surgery. I had 2 small incisions (one on lower back and one of right side) about 1 inch and then a larger 3-4 inch incision (on side and rounding under breast) and a drain tube (under breast). I have a total of 4 scars from the surgery with the largest being the 3-4 inch one.

I had surgery 8 weeks ago and I still have minor pain in the incision areas an if i move wrong it hurts. However, VATS is a much smaller surgery than an open type like you indicated. I did notice an increase in incision pain since I started chemo.

Kim

VATS
    Thank you for the explanation on the VATS procedure. I am sure I didn't have that then. I do know that my surgeon and the hospital are noted to be one of the best for this procedure and I had all the convidence the best surgery for my situation would be done. But some of the pain in upper back (not incision), and lower rib cage in the front is something I didn't expect. That combined with the other pains and issues is slowing me down.
    Well good luck to all of us for a good recovery.
  • PattiM
    PattiM Member Posts: 6
    grama17 said:

VATS
    Thank you for the explanation on the VATS procedure. I am sure I didn't have that then. I do know that my surgeon and the hospital are noted to be one of the best for this procedure and I had all the convidence the best surgery for my situation would be done. But some of the pain in upper back (not incision), and lower rib cage in the front is something I didn't expect. That combined with the other pains and issues is slowing me down.
    Well good luck to all of us for a good recovery.

Lobectomy Recovery
    Hi everyone. I am a 55 year old female and I had the lower lobe of my left lung removed 8 weeks ago. My cancer was also stage 1a … no chemo or radiation required. Even though I had VATS, I am still in a great deal of discomfort. I have a total of 5 incisions … 4 small and 1 longer one on my side. Surgeons had to remove a portion of one of my ribs in order to get the lobe out. The pain is mostly in the muscles in my back and around my rib cage now ... I feel battered and bruised all around that area. Sleeping is difficult. I went back to work this week, but feel like I could use another few weeks off!
    I agree with sissylu1 … it does take a lot longer to recover than our surgeons lead us to believe. I know it is definitely taking a lot longer than I thought it would! I don't think anyone knows until they've been through it, which is why this discussion board is so great!
    Sounds like we just need to be patient. God bless us all ...
  • sissylu1
    sissylu1 Member Posts: 66 Member
    PattiM said:

Lobectomy Recovery
    Hi everyone. I am a 55 year old female and I had the lower lobe of my left lung removed 8 weeks ago. My cancer was also stage 1a … no chemo or radiation required. Even though I had VATS, I am still in a great deal of discomfort. I have a total of 5 incisions … 4 small and 1 longer one on my side. Surgeons had to remove a portion of one of my ribs in order to get the lobe out. The pain is mostly in the muscles in my back and around my rib cage now ... I feel battered and bruised all around that area. Sleeping is difficult. I went back to work this week, but feel like I could use another few weeks off!
    I agree with sissylu1 … it does take a lot longer to recover than our surgeons lead us to believe. I know it is definitely taking a lot longer than I thought it would! I don't think anyone knows until they've been through it, which is why this discussion board is so great!
    Sounds like we just need to be patient. God bless us all ...

agree
    Patti 8 weeks out is not that long..I am 3 1/2 months out and have only been taking extra strength tylenol for the past 3 weeks..I believe I was given the best advice by the oncologist nurse who told me it will take a good 6-12 months for a more complete recovery..the messing with the ribs is what causes the most pain and then when you realize all those muscles and nerves have to regenerate it explains why you still feel sore sore..I am more tender now than sore except if I overdue it and still tired by the end of the late afternoon...I too have found this site to be of much comfort to me and am trying to provide that to others...patience is the hardest part for me but I do feel very very blessed!
  • PBJ Austin
    PBJ Austin Member Posts: 347 Member
    sissylu1 said:

agree
    Patti 8 weeks out is not that long..I am 3 1/2 months out and have only been taking extra strength tylenol for the past 3 weeks..I believe I was given the best advice by the oncologist nurse who told me it will take a good 6-12 months for a more complete recovery..the messing with the ribs is what causes the most pain and then when you realize all those muscles and nerves have to regenerate it explains why you still feel sore sore..I am more tender now than sore except if I overdue it and still tired by the end of the late afternoon...I too have found this site to be of much comfort to me and am trying to provide that to others...patience is the hardest part for me but I do feel very very blessed!

About taking Tylenol
    Friends, I don't want to contradict any advice your doctors have given you since every case is different. But when I was trying to wean myself off hydrocodone I tried Extra Strength Tylenol and it did nothing for me at all. I called the doc and he said forget Tylenol, it won't help. He recommended ibuprophen.

Please ask your doctor which pain reliever is best and do not make any changes on my advice, this is simply what I was told.

And don't be discouraged if the pain or breathlessness lasts longer than the surgeon predicted. The same happened to me. Don't push yourself, your body will heal when it is ready. And do keep believing that your strength will come back, but these things take time. There is life after lobectomy.

Gentle hugs to all who are recovering from this surgery.
  • grama17
    grama17 Member Posts: 14

About taking Tylenol
    Friends, I don't want to contradict any advice your doctors have given you since every case is different. But when I was trying to wean myself off hydrocodone I tried Extra Strength Tylenol and it did nothing for me at all. I called the doc and he said forget Tylenol, it won't help. He recommended ibuprophen.

Please ask your doctor which pain reliever is best and do not make any changes on my advice, this is simply what I was told.

And don't be discouraged if the pain or breathlessness lasts longer than the surgeon predicted. The same happened to me. Don't push yourself, your body will heal when it is ready. And do keep believing that your strength will come back, but these things take time. There is life after lobectomy.

Gentle hugs to all who are recovering from this surgery.

Pain
    I was glad to read all of the information from you all. I am thinking now that my upper back pain is probably muscle pain due to all of the surgery. Still is really bothersome. I do take ibuprofen with the hydrocodone, hoping it will help with muscle pain too. Doesn't seem to make a difference. It is a patience kind of thing for all of us I guess.
    Take care and Thanks for being out there and wanting to communicate. Oh and waring a bra, forget it! Maybe too personal but I found a tank top with light bra insert works best.
  • PattiM
    PattiM Member Posts: 6
    grama17 said:

Pain
    I was glad to read all of the information from you all. I am thinking now that my upper back pain is probably muscle pain due to all of the surgery. Still is really bothersome. I do take ibuprofen with the hydrocodone, hoping it will help with muscle pain too. Doesn't seem to make a difference. It is a patience kind of thing for all of us I guess.
    Take care and Thanks for being out there and wanting to communicate. Oh and waring a bra, forget it! Maybe too personal but I found a tank top with light bra insert works best.

Pain
    You are so right about the bra issue, grama17! I also went the tank with a shelf-bra route. I did find that "Barely There" makes a couple of very stretchy bras that work out pretty good when I want just a little extra (but not too much extra) support. Good luck with that!
  • johnabel
    johnabel Member Posts: 1
    lower right
    I had my lower right removed Jan 28, 2011. Pain was gone by about 6 weeks. Still I know something happed in that area. I have got back on my bike am and doing a 73 mile ride on Apr. 16. Hope your pain goes away soon.
  • Attootsie
    Attootsie Member Posts: 5
    sissylu1 said:

agree

Stage 1
    Well not sure you are still on? Came to this site for info. Have not had my surgery yet. Very interesting. I am the kind of person who wants to know what might lay ahead of me! I want to be pre-pared I know I will want things to move along quickly as far as recuperating. I have a goal! We have plans for a trip to Hawaii the end of Oct. Which will be just 3months out from surgery. Won't know if any of my lung will actually have to be removed or how much if that? So what can I expect? Should we cancel our plans?
  • PBJ Austin
    PBJ Austin Member Posts: 347 Member
    Attootsie said:

Stage 1
    Well not sure you are still on? Came to this site for info. Have not had my surgery yet. Very interesting. I am the kind of person who wants to know what might lay ahead of me! I want to be pre-pared I know I will want things to move along quickly as far as recuperating. I have a goal! We have plans for a trip to Hawaii the end of Oct. Which will be just 3months out from surgery. Won't know if any of my lung will actually have to be removed or how much if that? So what can I expect? Should we cancel our plans?

Attootsie, don't cancel just yet
    For most of us 3 months is a long enough recovery to do most things again. I think you should give it a bit more time before you decide what to do about your trip. Good luck with the surgery.
  • Julie2011
    Julie2011 Member Posts: 58
    Surgery
    I went to a Thorasic Surgeon who insisted I need VATS. He told me that they would biopsy the nodule while I was under and if I did not have cancer I could go back to work in 2 days; if they needed to removed my lower left lobe, he stated I would be back to work in 2 to 3 weeks? Now reading this - I doubt that a person can be fully recovered and back to work in a few weeks? Julie
  • grannylove
    grannylove Member Posts: 183
    Julie2011 said:

Surgery
    I went to a Thorasic Surgeon who insisted I need VATS. He told me that they would biopsy the nodule while I was under and if I did not have cancer I could go back to work in 2 days; if they needed to removed my lower left lobe, he stated I would be back to work in 2 to 3 weeks? Now reading this - I doubt that a person can be fully recovered and back to work in a few weeks? Julie

Julie
    I didn't have the VATS procedure but it sure sounds like it would be rather quick to go back to work that soon after a lobectomy. I had the traditional surgery and work in a factory, so I opted to take as much time as I felt I needed. I was off work for 10 weeks because of the physical nature of my job as well as enviroment. I still feel I am not 100% and am finding I have new feelings to get used to. Surgeon said it could take up to a year to completely heal inside. Good luck on your surgery Julie and just take it easy and don't let them push you back before you are ready. God bless Cheryl
  • cb girl
    cb girl Member Posts: 56 Member
    Attootsie said:

Stage 1

Travel After Surgery
    My husband actually had 2 surgeries- a right upper lobectomoy jan. 2011 and then a lower left lobectomoy, March 25th and then a second surgery April 8th to repair a leak that had occurred as a complication from surgery- was in the hospital a total of 3 weeks. A collapsed lung May 4th. BUT on July 1st we boarded a plane and went to Mexico for 2 weeks. No problems with his breathing on the flight there and back. Keep your plans!
  • sissylu1
    Julie2011 said:

Surgery

Everyone's case is different..the VATS is a shorter recovery time..I had my surgery the traditional way..if I were you I would plan on being off for a month-if you have VATS that may be a reasonable time period to plan for, if you wind up going back to work sooner than that you could do so...I know how hard it is to plan with this kind of thing but plan for longer than expected so you don't have the anxiety of a deadline date to return to work and let others help you when you get home!!!!!!! Please keep us posted.
  • sissylu1
    Attootsie said:

Stage 1

trip
    I am exactly the same way and i do not like surprises...anyway, I had the middle lobe of my right lung removed the old fashioned way on Dec 3, 2010 and I asked a ton of questions about how long I would be off, pain level, etc...what you will keep hearing is "it's different for everyone" which is not the answer I wanted to hear. My second child was graduating in June of 2011 and we wanted to go to Hollywood, CA for a graduation trip...me being the pre planner that I am I already wanted things in place..then I started to panic that I would not be up for the trip or that I would not be able to keep up with her.
    We just got back the beg of July and had a wonderful time..now keep in mind that is 6 months out but I really started to feel back to my old self by May..having a goal is a good thing to strive for..you might not be able to do EVERYTHING that you wanted but you can still have a wonderful trip..ps, I did buy the trip insurance just in case.
  • janet813
    janet813 Member Posts: 2
    gram said:

Janny,I had upper left lobectomy 18 mos. ago. Mine was also early detection.I am non small cell adenocarcinoma. I did not need any treatment, but every 6 months I get a catscan and xrays. I agree with you that I have never experienced pain like that in my life. I still have flashbacks about the pain, altho they are getting farther apart.It's funny cause I can walk and hardly get out of breath but climbing stairs to fast and I have a hard time breathing. Do you have trouble wearing a bra? I cannot wear one cuz it presses on the incision and bothers the nerves from the surgery.

dealing with lobectomy
    I had upper right lobectomy may 2011. I am 51 stage 3A. At this point I have days when I feel pretty good and then I have days where my back and under breast just squeeze tight. Here is a tip regarding bra wearing buy a bra extender I started out wearing 2 and now I can manage just one. Forget underwire. Anyone out there can help me with this, My family has a house in the Catskilles when ever I go my pain from surgery increases. Could altitude have aanything to do with this??
  • janet813
    janet813 Member Posts: 2
    gram said:

Janny,I had upper left lobectomy 18 mos. ago. Mine was also early detection.I am non small cell adenocarcinoma. I did not need any treatment, but every 6 months I get a catscan and xrays. I agree with you that I have never experienced pain like that in my life. I still have flashbacks about the pain, altho they are getting farther apart.It's funny cause I can walk and hardly get out of breath but climbing stairs to fast and I have a hard time breathing. Do you have trouble wearing a bra? I cannot wear one cuz it presses on the incision and bothers the nerves from the surgery.

dealing with lobectomy
    I had upper right lobectomy may 2011. I am 51 stage 3A. At this point I have days when I feel pretty good and then I have days where my back and under breast just squeeze tight. Here is a tip regarding bra wearing buy a bra extender I started out wearing 2 and now I can manage just one. Forget underwire. Anyone out there can help me with this, My family has a house in the Catskilles when ever I go my pain from surgery increases. Could altitude have aanything to do with this??
  • Charlesmom2
    Charlesmom2 Member Posts: 2
    sissylu1 said:

pain
    I had my right middle lobe removed Dec 3rd and NOT by the VATs procedure so it is a completly diferent recovery..I too thought I was ready to deal with the pain but this knocked me off my feet..I returned to work part-time the middle of feb but was still taking vicoden at night and exhausted by the time I would get home from work..I am 51 years old and in good health and my tumor was found on a routine chest x-ray, have been staged 1a but will continue to be followed by an oncologist.
    I spent hours on web sites looking at recovery time frames for this surgery and it takes alot longer than most of us were led to believe by our surgeons..I still take extra strength tylenol 3 times a day and don't even get me started on what its like to wear a bra! I do feel better than you do at 6 weeks out but please be patient with yourself, continue to do your breathing exercises, walk when you can, get as much sleep as you can (I take lunesta at night as I feel better in the day if I get a good nights sleep) and it will get better but it is a slooooooow process.

I had my right upper lobe removed in November 2010 and thought I would never make it through the pain. My surgeon advised me to MOVE as often as I can. He had me walking in the snow four times a day and I walked around my house all through the day. He was right. the more I moved the better the pain or my ability to deal with it. After three months I wasn't happy with my breathing progress and complained to him. He told me that you only have about six months to rebuild your lung function, after that it really doesn't get much better. Again he told me to walk. I worked my way up to walking two and a half hours straight, daily. I felt great by the end of the sixth month with no more need for pain meds and still only a little short of breath occasionally climbing stairs. I hope by now your doing a lot better. good luck.
  • Attootsie
    Lobectomy almost 8 weeks ago.
    I am doing okay, still have some pain thinking it's mostly from the ribs. I do have some numbing pain if you know what I mean. Just had a medi Port inserted and it gives me some pain. Did you have to have Chemo? How much of your lung was removed?
  • Attootsie
    Kimmiann said:

VATS
    Sissylu,

Kim

Vats
    My left lung tumor removal was similar to yours just one drain tube, vats assisted with a 4 to 5 inch incision. Haven't started Chemo yet but soon. Was suppose to do a trial but have changed my mind. Not interested in using Cisplatin because of side affects? What stage was yours?