Worried about my friend

AussieMaddie
AussieMaddie Member Posts: 345 Member
Hi,

I have a close friend who has had a little trouble in the past with his prostate but nothing serious. Now, they have found tumors in three places in his prostate. He is waiting for results of bone scan and full body scan on the 15th.

I've had other friends develop prostate cancer for whom radiation worked well, but I'm worried about my friend because it was found in three places. Does this automatically make it a more serious type?

He's constantly in my thoughts.

AussieMaddie

Comments

• vartabebo
    vartabebo Member Posts: 10
    Worried about my friend
    Hi AussieMaddie,

I am very sorry to hear about your friend, however, if the tumors are located only in the prostate and they have not spread beyond it, then the prognosis is really good indeed. What is his PSA score, or Gleason score?

My father's initial diagnosis was a gleason score of 6 and tumors in three places in the prostate. This was ten years ago. After radiation therapy (he opted against RP) his PSA score was negligible until this year, when he started hormone therapy.

In other words, don't despair, the presence of tumors in three places in his prostate does not automatically make his prognosis a more serious type. I am sure more precise info will be provided by the bone and full body scans, which will help in developing the best possible treatment.

Good luck!
  • AussieMaddie
    vartabebo said:

Worried about my friend
    Hi AussieMaddie,

I am very sorry to hear about your friend, however, if the tumors are located only in the prostate and they have not spread beyond it, then the prognosis is really good indeed. What is his PSA score, or Gleason score?

My father's initial diagnosis was a gleason score of 6 and tumors in three places in the prostate. This was ten years ago. After radiation therapy (he opted against RP) his PSA score was negligible until this year, when he started hormone therapy.

In other words, don't despair, the presence of tumors in three places in his prostate does not automatically make his prognosis a more serious type. I am sure more precise info will be provided by the bone and full body scans, which will help in developing the best possible treatment.

Good luck!

(tearfully)
    Thank you so much.
    I don't know what his scores are. I don't know if he knows. I must ask him. If he finds that he needs extra support and information, I will send him to this board.
    Again, thank you.
  • hopeful and optimistic
    hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,339 Member

(tearfully)
    Thank you so much.
    I don't know what his scores are. I don't know if he knows. I must ask him. If he finds that he needs extra support and information, I will send him to this board.
    Again, thank you.

It's important for your friend to have
    a copy of all his records available, in case he decides to change doctors, or wants to do research....it's important for your friend to develop a knowledge base so he could make the right decisions.
  • AussieMaddie

It's important for your friend to have
    a copy of all his records available, in case he decides to change doctors, or wants to do research....it's important for your friend to develop a knowledge base so he could make the right decisions.

Thank you Hopeful. I will
    Thank you Hopeful. I will tell him :)