VA Disabilty

txbarton
txbarton Member Posts: 89 Member
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
I filed for VA disability on 21 Aug, it came back today approved.

They conceded that I was exposed to Agent Orange in Viet Nam '70-'71 so it is 100% service connected and combat related. Per a 2003 federal ruling combat related means it does not impact my military retired pay.

It is subject to a review in the future but since we are not considered legitimately cancer free for 15 years I am not concerned about a downgrade anytime soon.

Any Viet Nam Vets that have not filed with VA please do so. Drop me an email if you want some pointers on the submission.

VB

Comments

• WHW
    WHW Member Posts: 189
    VA Disability
    Did you apply before you had your surgery? I was under the impression that you could not apply if you had been treated. I would certainly like to apply. I was in Nam from 1966 through 1968. This is in the middle of the time frame that they have identified.

Please let me know. I welcome any info you have on this. I gave my time and I certainly wouldn't feel like I would have to back up to take the check.

Sonny
  • txbarton
    txbarton Member Posts: 89 Member
    WHW said:

VA Disability
    Did you apply before you had your surgery? I was under the impression that you could not apply if you had been treated. I would certainly like to apply. I was in Nam from 1966 through 1968. This is in the middle of the time frame that they have identified.

Please let me know. I welcome any info you have on this. I gave my time and I certainly wouldn't feel like I would have to back up to take the check.

Sonny

Claiim
    Sonny,

I replied a couple times yesterday but the board didn't cooperate. I also sent you a private message with my email address (I didn't want to post if on an open forum, especially not one that has been slammed a couple times recently).

The disability is for prostate cancer, you are eligible as soon as you are diagnosed, not when you complete treatment. The effective date of the disability appears to be based on when you submit your paperwork. All the forms are available on the VA VONAPP site (below). The more info you can send up front the better. They want a history form, proof of service in VN (DD214 suffices), releases for each doctor involved to provide info to VA and a narrative statement discussing your case. I also sent a copy of my blood work with high PSA and the biopsy pathology report. You can fill out and submit the history form on line through VONAPP.

Useful VA sites are:
    http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/benefits/Herbicide/
    http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/benefits/Herbicide/AOno1.htm
    https://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/main.asp

Drop me an email or private message if I can help or answer any questions.

Good luck,
    VB
  • mlgaree
    mlgaree Member Posts: 1
    txbarton said:

Claiim
    Sonny,

I replied a couple times yesterday but the board didn't cooperate. I also sent you a private message with my email address (I didn't want to post if on an open forum, especially not one that has been slammed a couple times recently).

The disability is for prostate cancer, you are eligible as soon as you are diagnosed, not when you complete treatment. The effective date of the disability appears to be based on when you submit your paperwork. All the forms are available on the VA VONAPP site (below). The more info you can send up front the better. They want a history form, proof of service in VN (DD214 suffices), releases for each doctor involved to provide info to VA and a narrative statement discussing your case. I also sent a copy of my blood work with high PSA and the biopsy pathology report. You can fill out and submit the history form on line through VONAPP.

Useful VA sites are:
    http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/benefits/Herbicide/
    http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/benefits/Herbicide/AOno1.htm
    https://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/main.asp

Drop me an email or private message if I can help or answer any questions.

Good luck,
    VB

VA disability benefits for prostate cancer
    Dear TxBarton:

I served in Vietnam from 1966 to 1967 in the U.S. Marine Corps and was diagnosed with prostate cancer in February 2009. I just happened to run across an article in AARP Magazine that mentioned Vietnam veterans are eligible to receive VA disability payments, under the "presumed service-connected" provision of law. So, I applied for the benefits May 29th of this year (2010).

Since then, I have done considerable online research regarding precisely how VA disability benefits are determined and subsequently awarded. Boy, is there a mish-mash of information, much of it conflicting with all the other information I've gleaned about the subject.

For example, one (apparently informed) citation said that the VA automatically awards 100% disability benefits upon diagnosis, and that the 100% rating continues for six months following treatment. After that six months, the citation said, the VA will determine "residual" (ongoing) disability, if any.

You indicated in your post that the effective date of benefits seems to be date of application.

I commenced treatment (seed implantation and 37 radiation treatments) in July 2009, and will be doing follow-up treatment (taking PSA readings, etc.) through the end of this year, 2010.

So, my question is this: When do you suppose the VA will assign me a 100% disability rating, i.e., from the date of diagnosis (February 2009) or from the date of application for benefits, i.e., May 2010?

Any input you could provide me, based upon your personal experience, would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You!

Mike Garee
    email address (if you want to respond outside of this site): mlgaree@bellsouth.net
  • bajakid
    bajakid Member Posts: 38
    V.A Disabilty claim
    I was in Vietnam 71 to 72 and was diagnosed with Prostate cancer in 2003 and had the surgery in 2004. I applied for benefits Sept 2010 and saw the V.A Doc April 12th. What will I be getting? Also I heard that if your rating is less the 50 percent your military retirement will be deducted by that amount. Thanks
  • bajakid
    bajakid Member Posts: 38
    Hello TXBARTON. My name is Ron and would like to compare notes on V.A disabilty for Prostate Cancer. My e-mail address is BAJARON87@YAHOO.COM Thanks
  • jkk4244
    jkk4244 Member Posts: 1
    WHW said:

VA Disability

Sonny

VA Disaibility
    Sonny
    I hope you have already applied. If not you should asap.
    It's going to take longer than usual for approval, due to the legal mandate that states that the 3 new approved illnesses that have applications must be processed by Oct this year. There are over 100,000 applications. I'm still waiting and its been almost a year. My problem may be because I have another claim for Ischemic Heart Desease, which I've been waiting six months.
    Good Luck!
    Jim H.
  • Roothead
    Roothead Member Posts: 11
    jkk4244 said:

VA Disaibility
    Sonny
    I hope you have already applied. If not you should asap.
    It's going to take longer than usual for approval, due to the legal mandate that states that the 3 new approved illnesses that have applications must be processed by Oct this year. There are over 100,000 applications. I'm still waiting and its been almost a year. My problem may be because I have another claim for Ischemic Heart Desease, which I've been waiting six months.
    Good Luck!
    Jim H.

VA Disability for Prostate Cancer
    I was in Viet Nam 1969-70. Applied for the disability benefit from VA in August 2010. Sent them DD-214, Biopsy, Statement from my Urologist, Hospital Bills. Had exam by VA Physician on May 9,2011 in Montgomery. Got letter today saying they have requested treatment records from my hospital, but it is my responsibility to see that they get it. (although I don't know what they want now). I have gotten this same letter several times before. The last line always states: "We look forward to resolving your claim in a fair and timely manner." I can't help but laugh. I have had a radical prostectamy, severe incontinence for nearly a year. PSA of "0". I had an AUS 800 implant in February 2011 and it has really helped me. I no longer wear any pads.

I will post if I can get any more information out of the VA. I am very disappointed in their claim handling, and yet they are quick to brag about how well they are doing in handling claims. Couldn't get much worse in my opinion.
  • armydog68
    armydog68 Member Posts: 1
    agent orange
    Hi txbarton,

I was just diagnosed with PC 2 weeks ago and I'm now considering my options.

Can you share with me any suggestions for filing with the VA for agent orange? I am already a disabled Vet and recieve some monthly benefits. I was in Viet Nam in 68 - 69 in the central highlands with the 173rd Airborne Brigade.

Any help will be appreciated......

thanks for your help and thanks for your service

another proud vet

Armydog68
  • BRONX52
    BRONX52 Member Posts: 156
    armydog68 said:

agent orange
    Hi txbarton,

I was just diagnosed with PC 2 weeks ago and I'm now considering my options.

Can you share with me any suggestions for filing with the VA for agent orange? I am already a disabled Vet and recieve some monthly benefits. I was in Viet Nam in 68 - 69 in the central highlands with the 173rd Airborne Brigade.

Any help will be appreciated......

thanks for your help and thanks for your service

another proud vet

Armydog68

HI ARMY DOG
    I would reccomend that you call your regional va office and have them send you the required forms. They will send you forms that your doctor must fill out and also forms for you to fill out. Of course they ask for your DD 214 and a written statement from you asking for the dates, location, etc; of your Vietnam tour. I would start the process sooner rather than later as the gov't isn't known for expediency when it comes to these matters. I was one of the lucky ones where the entire process took only 4 months. Another thing to keep in mind is that you should provide as much information as possible. If you leave some vital information out the VA will be sending you letters requesting additional info. This back and forth with the VA can really prolong the claims process. Sorry you have to be in this club but good luck with your claim--