CyberKnife

Julie2011
Julie2011 Member Posts: 58
Has anyone had CyberKnife with success? If my nodule proves to be cancerous am thinking about cyberknife instead of surgery. Could a nodule grow 4 mm in 2 years from something other than cancer? Just curious?

Comments

• Tricia10
    Tricia10 Member Posts: 4
    Cyberknife
    Hi Julie
    I have stage Iv lung w/mets to the brain & lymph nodes. Oct of last ur I had surgery to remove the tumors from left occio rim & then about 3 wks later went back for cyberknife rad to the area. My most recent PET shows all is still clear on brain (great Dr!). Unfortunately rt lung nods haven't shrunk that much even after 6 wks of Rad and chemotherapy. After three wk hiatus frm chemotherapy, I went on "maintenance chemotherapy". after 3 sessions It was making me so tired and headachy I didn't feel like going to work or doing much of anything productive, so informed my lung Onc. That I was going off the chemotherapy and I feel much better now: commuting to work 3 days a week, gardening, exercising, getting ready to drive alone to another state to visit family and friends. In other words, enjoying each day to it's fullest.
    I'd like to hear from others who have made the choice to go off chemotherapy and how they have fared.......

I diffracts a bit I know, but do think cyberknife rad was good for me.
  • Julie2011
    Tricia10 said:

Cyberknife
    Hi Julie
    I have stage Iv lung w/mets to the brain & lymph nodes. Oct of last ur I had surgery to remove the tumors from left occio rim & then about 3 wks later went back for cyberknife rad to the area. My most recent PET shows all is still clear on brain (great Dr!). Unfortunately rt lung nods haven't shrunk that much even after 6 wks of Rad and chemotherapy. After three wk hiatus frm chemotherapy, I went on "maintenance chemotherapy". after 3 sessions It was making me so tired and headachy I didn't feel like going to work or doing much of anything productive, so informed my lung Onc. That I was going off the chemotherapy and I feel much better now: commuting to work 3 days a week, gardening, exercising, getting ready to drive alone to another state to visit family and friends. In other words, enjoying each day to it's fullest.
    I'd like to hear from others who have made the choice to go off chemotherapy and how they have fared.......

I diffracts a bit I know, but do think cyberknife rad was good for me.

CyberKnife
    Sounds like the quality of your life has significally improved since you got off the chemo! Are you going to have anymore CyberKnife? Take care. Julie
  • AlanRinHBG
    AlanRinHBG Member Posts: 121
    Julie2011 said:

CyberKnife
    Sounds like the quality of your life has significally improved since you got off the chemo! Are you going to have anymore CyberKnife? Take care. Julie

cyberknife
    I had tuomor in my right lung at the apex. They did 30 IMRT radios and chemo of cisplatin and etopicide. After that, surgery was to occur to remove what was left.( lobectomy). It did shrink but surgery became impossible because the tuomor invaded my spine. Surgery they said would almost certainly paralyze me. So they started another batch of chemo (taxotere).Also got sent to Cyberknife of Philly.com.Check out that website and read about Dr. Luther Brady. I asked him if this was going to work for me. He said "We are going to kick it's ****." He apologized for putting it that way. I told him those are the words I've been waiting for. His philosophy is that it truly is surgery without the surgery. I started with stage 4 cancer 2 years ago next month. It took 5 visits to Cyberknife in Nov. 2010. There is no sign of tumor activity at all anymore. Last scans on May 10th still negative. I definately am glad I didn't have real surgery after all. I can't tell you enough how much I reccomend it. I hope you get as good a result as I did. Read the bio on Dr. Brady too. I would travel any distance for his service. God bless, Alan
  • Julie2011

cyberknife
    I had tuomor in my right lung at the apex. They did 30 IMRT radios and chemo of cisplatin and etopicide. After that, surgery was to occur to remove what was left.( lobectomy). It did shrink but surgery became impossible because the tuomor invaded my spine. Surgery they said would almost certainly paralyze me. So they started another batch of chemo (taxotere).Also got sent to Cyberknife of Philly.com.Check out that website and read about Dr. Luther Brady. I asked him if this was going to work for me. He said "We are going to kick it's ****." He apologized for putting it that way. I told him those are the words I've been waiting for. His philosophy is that it truly is surgery without the surgery. I started with stage 4 cancer 2 years ago next month. It took 5 visits to Cyberknife in Nov. 2010. There is no sign of tumor activity at all anymore. Last scans on May 10th still negative. I definately am glad I didn't have real surgery after all. I can't tell you enough how much I reccomend it. I hope you get as good a result as I did. Read the bio on Dr. Brady too. I would travel any distance for his service. God bless, Alan

CyberKnife
    I have done some research on CyberKnife and that is what I want if my nodule is malignant. I am sure the Thorasic Surgeon I will be seeing in June will NOT agree with me. Isn't it my body and my life - I cannot figure out why the insurance will not cover this procedure? Glad you had a good experience with CyberKife and I am glad the doctor told you "they were going to kick ****" sounds like they did kick **** and your doing fine. Your doctor would be my kind of doctor! I am so glad you found a good doctor !!!
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Julie2011 said:

CyberKnife
    I have done some research on CyberKnife and that is what I want if my nodule is malignant. I am sure the Thorasic Surgeon I will be seeing in June will NOT agree with me. Isn't it my body and my life - I cannot figure out why the insurance will not cover this procedure? Glad you had a good experience with CyberKife and I am glad the doctor told you "they were going to kick ****" sounds like they did kick **** and your doing fine. Your doctor would be my kind of doctor! I am so glad you found a good doctor !!!

Something to ask about
    The cyberknife if I understand it correctly is where they use triangulated radiation to kill a set of cells in a spot that is well-defined. It is usually reserved for getting rid of cancers that cannot be removed by convential surgery. Sometimes removing a lobe of a lung can result in a cure. If the cyberknife was used instaed of removing the lobe, some stray cells might be missed and the cancer may grow back. That might not be quite the result you were hoping for. I'm not sure that radiation can be used on the same spot more than once, so you might not want to use it as a first resort on the lung, especially if surgery could result in a cure and the cyberknife might not. I have heard of a lot of folks that could not have surgery that were greatly benefitted by the cyberknife. Mets to the brain are one place where this treatment is a godsend. I believe insurance did cover folks with those kinds of situations.

It is scary to think of someone possibly removing part or all of your lung. We are taught from an early age that lungs are vital organs. I had a hard time trusting that I would be okay after lung surgery. My doctor referred me to a thoracic surgeon that did VATS procedures. They are much easier to recover from. I have had both a VATS procedure and a modified VATS on my right lung within 10 days of each other. After just the VATS procedure I was jogging slowly around a track after less than two weeks. The second surgery was more difficult, but I was still back at the gym in just a few weeks. I can't say that losing part of my lung has really slowed me down a lot, though I was pretty weak the week right after surgery.

I'm sure you will make the right decision for you. Good luck!
  • Julie2011
    cabbott said:

Something to ask about
    The cyberknife if I understand it correctly is where they use triangulated radiation to kill a set of cells in a spot that is well-defined. It is usually reserved for getting rid of cancers that cannot be removed by convential surgery. Sometimes removing a lobe of a lung can result in a cure. If the cyberknife was used instaed of removing the lobe, some stray cells might be missed and the cancer may grow back. That might not be quite the result you were hoping for. I'm not sure that radiation can be used on the same spot more than once, so you might not want to use it as a first resort on the lung, especially if surgery could result in a cure and the cyberknife might not. I have heard of a lot of folks that could not have surgery that were greatly benefitted by the cyberknife. Mets to the brain are one place where this treatment is a godsend. I believe insurance did cover folks with those kinds of situations.

It is scary to think of someone possibly removing part or all of your lung. We are taught from an early age that lungs are vital organs. I had a hard time trusting that I would be okay after lung surgery. My doctor referred me to a thoracic surgeon that did VATS procedures. They are much easier to recover from. I have had both a VATS procedure and a modified VATS on my right lung within 10 days of each other. After just the VATS procedure I was jogging slowly around a track after less than two weeks. The second surgery was more difficult, but I was still back at the gym in just a few weeks. I can't say that losing part of my lung has really slowed me down a lot, though I was pretty weak the week right after surgery.

I'm sure you will make the right decision for you. Good luck!

CyberKnife
    I would like as little down time as possible. I was thinking that if CyberKnife did not do what it was supposed to do - I could apt for surgery later. The nodule is 11 mm right now and actually I would prefer follow-up with another PET Scan in October before I make my decision. May 2009 it was 7 mm May 2011 it was 11 mm. Thanks, Julie
  • AlanRinHBG
    Julie2011 said:

CyberKnife
    I would like as little down time as possible. I was thinking that if CyberKnife did not do what it was supposed to do - I could apt for surgery later. The nodule is 11 mm right now and actually I would prefer follow-up with another PET Scan in October before I make my decision. May 2009 it was 7 mm May 2011 it was 11 mm. Thanks, Julie

cyberknife
    The cyberknife machine is robotic. it works in conjunction with a current pet scan that it's computer reads and applies an array of targeting angles. It operates on 3 axis. that means it can shoot from an almost infinate number of angles. It can avoid critical tissue to within 1 mm. or less. The machine is built like a bulldozer and works like a Swiss watch. When you breathe, it moves with you. If you jerk or twitch, it stops. It changes it's own lenses during treatment. It's so amazing. It may or may not be right for you. I'm not sure if you can just pick that treatment for yourself or not. Sounds almost like prescribing your own drugs. Get the best professional advice you can find.
  • AlanRinHBG
    Julie2011 said:

CyberKnife

cyberknife
    The cyberknife machine is robotic. it works in conjunction with a current pet scan that it's computer reads and applies an array of targeting angles. It operates on 3 axis. that means it can shoot from an almost infinate number of angles. It can avoid critical tissue to within 1 mm. or less. The machine is built like a bulldozer and works like a Swiss watch. When you breathe, it moves with you. If you jerk or twitch, it stops. It changes it's own lenses during treatment. It's so amazing. It may or may not be right for you. I'm not sure if you can just pick that treatment for yourself or not. Sounds almost like prescribing your own drugs. Get the best professional advice you can find.
  • Julie2011

cyberknife

CyberKnife
    I also have emphysema (moderate) and am really concerned about part of my lung being removed. CyberKnife will only destroy 14 mm to get the 11 mm nodule. How much of my lung will they take out to get the 11 mm nodule surgerically? I have not been to the thorasic surgeon yet; but these are questions I will ask. I haven't made up my mind what my course of action will be but I have to be fully informed about all my options and the consequences/benefits of different procedures. Some doctors will only do surgery because that is where the money is for them. I want it to be my decision after I learn as much as I can about every avenue available to me. Thank you so much for your response and please if anyone can enlighten me on different options I would so much appreciate it. Julie
  • AlanRinHBG
    Julie2011 said:

CyberKnife
    I also have emphysema (moderate) and am really concerned about part of my lung being removed. CyberKnife will only destroy 14 mm to get the 11 mm nodule. How much of my lung will they take out to get the 11 mm nodule surgerically? I have not been to the thorasic surgeon yet; but these are questions I will ask. I haven't made up my mind what my course of action will be but I have to be fully informed about all my options and the consequences/benefits of different procedures. Some doctors will only do surgery because that is where the money is for them. I want it to be my decision after I learn as much as I can about every avenue available to me. Thank you so much for your response and please if anyone can enlighten me on different options I would so much appreciate it. Julie

Ck
    You're right. surgeons do surgery. Go back to your oncology team and ask them all the questions. Write them all down so you don't forget any. I used to forget stuff all the time. It's good to know your options. Only the best experts can give you advice. Our experiences are designed individually.
  • Julie2011

Ck
    You're right. surgeons do surgery. Go back to your oncology team and ask them all the questions. Write them all down so you don't forget any. I used to forget stuff all the time. It's good to know your options. Only the best experts can give you advice. Our experiences are designed individually.

CyberKnife
    Thanks I will do that. Has anyone had CyberKnife with success?
  • AlanRinHBG
    Julie2011 said:

CyberKnife
    Thanks I will do that. Has anyone had CyberKnife with success?

CK
    hi Julie, that was your 1st question at the top of this topic. I consider my treatment a success.
  • Julie2011

CK
    hi Julie, that was your 1st question at the top of this topic. I consider my treatment a success.

CyberKnife
    Thanks Alan. Just wanted to see if anyone else out there also had good results.
    I will listen to what the thorasic surgeon has to say - I am petrified of having a needles biopsy. I need a biopsy before anything else I guess. Just don't know why my insurance turned me down to see a CyberKnife team and get the biopsy there and have the markers put in at the same time. That is what I would like to do.
  • AlanRinHBG
    Julie2011 said:

CyberKnife
    Thanks Alan. Just wanted to see if anyone else out there also had good results.
    I will listen to what the thorasic surgeon has to say - I am petrified of having a needles biopsy. I need a biopsy before anything else I guess. Just don't know why my insurance turned me down to see a CyberKnife team and get the biopsy there and have the markers put in at the same time. That is what I would like to do.

needle biopsy
    Julie, needle biopsy is not real hard to have. they do it in the ct scanning room. I had 1 in the beginning. They put me on a light anestesia called twilight. you're not completely out but can barely feel it at all. they use novacaine once they locate the target. then a bigger needle to suck up sample. there was a pathologist with a microscope to determine the quality and amount for testing. they put a band aid on it and turn you loose. no big deal. I had another one about 2 months ago because they saw something near the site of the original tumor. This time the guy missed the spot and had to try again. He got it but the pathology guy wanted a bigger sample. They took a "core" OUCH!!! It hurt for a few days., But it all worked out ok. It's pretty easy so don't be scared. Something you just have to do.
  • Julie2011

needle biopsy
    Julie, needle biopsy is not real hard to have. they do it in the ct scanning room. I had 1 in the beginning. They put me on a light anestesia called twilight. you're not completely out but can barely feel it at all. they use novacaine once they locate the target. then a bigger needle to suck up sample. there was a pathologist with a microscope to determine the quality and amount for testing. they put a band aid on it and turn you loose. no big deal. I had another one about 2 months ago because they saw something near the site of the original tumor. This time the guy missed the spot and had to try again. He got it but the pathology guy wanted a bigger sample. They took a "core" OUCH!!! It hurt for a few days., But it all worked out ok. It's pretty easy so don't be scared. Something you just have to do.

CyberKnife
    You really put my mind at ease - your telling me they use twilight when they are doing the needle biopsy? I thought they did it while you totally awake??? Thanks!!! Julie.
  • stayingcalm
    stayingcalm Member Posts: 650 Member

cyberknife

Cyberknife
    @ Alan, thanks for the best description of the cyberknife treatment that I've heard so far!
    stayingcalm
  • AlanRinHBG

Cyberknife
    @ Alan, thanks for the best description of the cyberknife treatment that I've heard so far!
    stayingcalm

CK
    thanks,it is awesome stay calm
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576

Cyberknife
    stayingcalm

Cyberknife/Stereotactic Radiosurgery
    I received Stereotactic Radiosurgery in September of '09 and have been googling to see if Cyberknife and SR are the same. Everything I've found shows it is the same treatment, just wish they'd call it by one name so I wouldn't get so confused :)

This treatment is so much easier than traditional radiation as I only had 4 treatments for the lung cancer compared to 35 IMRT for the laryngeal cancer. It takes longer for each visit because they have to get the machine lined up exactly. I had great results but I have to admit that I would have opted for surgery first if it had been an option for me but mine, even though it is small, is inoperable because of the location.

Wishing you and everyone here the best.

Glenna
  • Julie2011
    Glenna M said:

Cyberknife/Stereotactic Radiosurgery
    I received Stereotactic Radiosurgery in September of '09 and have been googling to see if Cyberknife and SR are the same. Everything I've found shows it is the same treatment, just wish they'd call it by one name so I wouldn't get so confused :)

This treatment is so much easier than traditional radiation as I only had 4 treatments for the lung cancer compared to 35 IMRT for the laryngeal cancer. It takes longer for each visit because they have to get the machine lined up exactly. I had great results but I have to admit that I would have opted for surgery first if it had been an option for me but mine, even though it is small, is inoperable because of the location.

Wishing you and everyone here the best.

Glenna

CyberKnife
    Since I haven't been to the thorasic surgeon yet - I do not know if I am in the same perdicament as you Glenna. I may have it in a location that they cannot operate on. Why would you of chosen surgery? Just curious. I would rather NOT have surgery if possible.

Julie :)
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    Julie2011 said:

CyberKnife
    Since I haven't been to the thorasic surgeon yet - I do not know if I am in the same perdicament as you Glenna. I may have it in a location that they cannot operate on. Why would you of chosen surgery? Just curious. I would rather NOT have surgery if possible.

Julie :)

Julie
    Believe me I'm not crazy about having any type of surgery but I know I would feel better if they could have removed the tumor and used the chemo and rads later if it ever returned. Kind of a back up plan :)

They have found something new in my lung but haven't determined yet what it is and I wonder if I will be able to have any type of radiation now since I had the SR in '09.

I'm sure there are many who would prefer not to have surgery but I personally would feel better knowing they had removed that "beast" from my lung and tell me I'm NED instead of "in remission". My way of thinking may seem weird...but that's me - LOL.

Stay strong,
    Glenna