Surgery date set

Katielynn
Katielynn Member Posts: 61
I got the call from my Urologist's office yesterday....Surgery is scheduled for June 2nd...they will call me the day before to set up a time...I have an apt. on the 26th for the hystory/physical and pre op orders.... I'm glad the surgery will take place so soon....Patience isn't one of my strongest qualities...Are bone scans part of the pre-op testing?? I finally brought myself to watch the DVD about the DaVinci system {robotic) that I'm going to have...pretty scarey space-age looking stuff...They claim you have less pain, bleeding, and an easier recovery...Hope they're right...Ugh. I feel like my house is sitting on my chest right now...I think my biggest hope is that a partial nephrectomy is all that's going to be necessary, but, if the kidney has to be removed to give me better chances of a good recovery, it's what's going to have to be done...Everyone's support means so much to me right now...I have known a lot of people who've had cancer, but no one I know has ever had kidney cancer...My sister was diagnosed in 2002 with lung cancer, she had no surgery, but did go through radiation and chemo.She did well until last year, they found it in her uterus, so just last month she underwent a total hysterectomy. She's only 53, and one hell of a fighter...I admire her strength so much, and the last thing I want is for her to worry about me....Well, I'm going to stop now, I just want to thank everyone for whatever info they have or will give to me...My wish is to recover completely, and to be like all you wonderful people, here to offer support in the future to others going through this same ordeal...I will keep in touch...

Comments

• lbinmsp
    lbinmsp Member Posts: 266
    Excellent!
    Glad you've got your surgery scheduled and that it's not too long a wait. A bone scan pre-operatively is up to your doctor. If your tumor is on the small side, they may decide you don't need this. The robotic thing sounds interesting!

I had never heard of renal cell carcinoma either - until I was diagnosed. I was a classic 'TYPE A' personality at the time and before surgery wanted to get all my ducks lined up. Did a 'do it yourself' will and went to have it notarized. The notary and I got to chatting and she told me her husband had just been diagnosed with RCC! I went to have my taxes done and HER mother had RCC! Suddenly it seemed to be everywhere.

I have confidence that you will do very well. Please keep us informed. We're all standing with you through this!
  • Jamie1.3cm
    Jamie1.3cm Member Posts: 188
    Good luck, Katielynn!
    I'll be going in for mine on June 13th, so I'm right behind you! : )

Usually pre-op involves blood work and a chest xray. (Chest xray I think to make sure you're not bringing TB into the hospital.) My pre-op is June 6.

I hope the both of us have partials and that we heal quickly. I know the recovery is slow and unpleasant, but that it will happen.
  • jona187
    jona187 Member Posts: 71

Good luck, Katielynn!

Usually pre-op involves blood work and a chest xray. (Chest xray I think to make sure you're not bringing TB into the hospital.) My pre-op is June 6.

I hope the both of us have partials and that we heal quickly. I know the recovery is slow and unpleasant, but that it will happen.

Good luck with your
    Good luck with your procedure Jamie.
  • Good luck, Katielynn!

Pre-op work-ups
    Aloha Jamie and Katielynn,

My pre-op work-ups included blood work, chest x-ray, EKG, blood pressure reading and a normal check-up. My Doctor also sent me to take a pre-surgery stress test (run on a treadmill) to measure my hearts capacity to manage the surgery. My Doctor is a young Doctor and wanted to cover all bases with my surgery and recovery!

My surgery occured on April 20, 2011 and all is well. I had a partial nephrectomy and stayed in the hospital for 6 days. I was up and walking (very slowly and not very far!) in less than two days after the surgery.

Good luck with your surgeries.

Tony
  • Katielynn

Pre-op work-ups

My pre-op work-ups included blood work, chest x-ray, EKG, blood pressure reading and a normal check-up. My Doctor also sent me to take a pre-surgery stress test (run on a treadmill) to measure my hearts capacity to manage the surgery. My Doctor is a young Doctor and wanted to cover all bases with my surgery and recovery!

My surgery occured on April 20, 2011 and all is well. I had a partial nephrectomy and stayed in the hospital for 6 days. I was up and walking (very slowly and not very far!) in less than two days after the surgery.

Tony

Pre ops
    Had all pre ops done yesterday...Met with a P.A. in my surgeon's office...he was so informative and spent about an hour talking over my concerns...I'm all ready for Thursday...I just want it over with already...waiting isn't easy, as I'm sure I'm not the only one here whose had to deal with "the wait" for surgery..I have faith that God will pull me through this...please keep me in your prayers, you are all in mine...
  • Katielynn

Pre-op work-ups

Tony

6 days?
    I'm being sent home the next day...I'm nervous about that, but then again I've heard the less you stay in the hospital, the less chance for developing an infection?? Plus they said I'll be out walking that night!!!! The one thing I didn't like hearing yesterday is that I can't drive for a few weeks! Well, maybe I won't be in the mood to run around anyway.....Ygh, I want so bad to be back to normal, and it looks like that's going to take awhile..
  • Katielynn

Good luck, Katielynn!

Jamie,I hope we both end up with partials...Are you having yours done laporoscopically? I'm so looking forward to recovery, no matter how slow and unpleasant...Honestly, I've found this whole ordeal to be more mentally painful than physically...I wish you the very best, things will work out for us.....
  • icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Katielynn said:

Jamie,I hope we both end up with partials...Are you having yours done laporoscopically? I'm so looking forward to recovery, no matter how slow and unpleasant...Honestly, I've found this whole ordeal to be more mentally painful than physically...I wish you the very best, things will work out for us.....

Good luck on your surgeries
    Katielynn and Jamie,

Good luck on your surgeries. They did not have partials back im my day 9 years ago. A partial saves more of your kidney function and is actually a more difficult operation and will probably not shorten your recovery. You will not feel like doing anything physical in the week or 2 after your surgery so don't worry about your restrictions. The important thing is that after a month or so you will be able to do almost everything you did before, but not necessarily for more than a few hours at a time. It is only by going thru this surgery that you can become a full and informed member of our little club.

Best wishes,

Icemantoo
  • puppetman
    puppetman Member Posts: 53
    Katielynn said:

been there
    I had My right kidney removed on May 4th 2011, it does take time, My Doc told Me to walk a lot, don't lift nothing and just take it easy, after a week of being home you will fell like doing a little bit of stuff "but don't or you will end up back in the hospital like I did", after three weeks you will start feeling pretty ok and want to do things, but ONLY do very light house work and do lots of walking, and drink lots of water.

I thought I could Handel anything, but when the Doc first told Me I had kidney cancer, it kind of rocked My world, even after the Doc told Me He got it all, I still feel really down and sad, the hardest part of being home for me is being around people and hiding how down and sad I really feel, but still do what Your Doc says.
  • Jamie1.3cm
    Jamie1.3cm Member Posts: 188
    Katielynn said:

not lapro
    No, my surgery will be the big slice. Even though my tumor is tiny, it sits right on/in my renal artery. So none of the options usually available for small tumors is available for me. : (

Yea, hospitals are dirty places. The staff carry around bacteria, like MRSA, and can spread it to their patients. You don't want your body to have to be fighting some drug resistant bacteria while you're trying to recover. It's good to get out as soon as possible, but "next day" might be a bit ambitious. They'll see how you're doing and adjust accordingly.
  • benny61
    benny61 Member Posts: 3
    My prayer's go with you.Had
    My prayer's go with you.Had my surgery Mar 15th and just got my path back and all margins are clear.Go back to see my Doc 6/14 for labs and follow-ups. I wish I thought to even check this site but nevertheless I'm here now
  • benny61
    benny61 Member Posts: 3

not lapro
    No, my surgery will be the big slice. Even though my tumor is tiny, it sits right on/in my renal artery. So none of the options usually available for small tumors is available for me. : (

Yea, hospitals are dirty places. The staff carry around bacteria, like MRSA, and can spread it to their patients. You don't want your body to have to be fighting some drug resistant bacteria while you're trying to recover. It's good to get out as soon as possible, but "next day" might be a bit ambitious. They'll see how you're doing and adjust accordingly.

DON't TRIP
    OMG so was mine the scar is long but my margins are clear,so for me it's an even trade.
  • icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    benny61 said:

My prayer's go with you.Had
    My prayer's go with you.Had my surgery Mar 15th and just got my path back and all margins are clear.Go back to see my Doc 6/14 for labs and follow-ups. I wish I thought to even check this site but nevertheless I'm here now

Benny61
    Welcome to the club. We survivors try and help the newcomers thru and past the surgery. What a bummer to get RCC and the firsy thing out of the gate is surgery. Things do get better.

Icemantoo
  • VeryAnxious
    VeryAnxious Member Posts: 67
    icemantoo said:

Benny61
    Welcome to the club. We survivors try and help the newcomers thru and past the surgery. What a bummer to get RCC and the firsy thing out of the gate is surgery. Things do get better.

Icemantoo

Good luck. I did the robotic
    Good luck. I did the robotic surgery on Oct 1. My tumor was also on the renal artery. I was very lucky. It was 6 hours long, but I now have 100% kideny function. It is much easier than the other way from what I am reading. It just seems to depend on your surgeons skill and tumor. I should have only been in the hospital 2 -3 days, but i am narcotic sensitive and had problems with the narcotics. I was moving around soon. You will do fine. I did not want to see videos, etc, as I am a coward! In fact when they bought me in the OR, i kept my eyes closed. I kept them laughting as I said I don't want to see anything! Get rest and stay positive and talk to others to allay your fears.
    G
  • fatmomma
    fatmomma Member Posts: 95

Good luck. I did the robotic
    Good luck. I did the robotic surgery on Oct 1. My tumor was also on the renal artery. I was very lucky. It was 6 hours long, but I now have 100% kideny function. It is much easier than the other way from what I am reading. It just seems to depend on your surgeons skill and tumor. I should have only been in the hospital 2 -3 days, but i am narcotic sensitive and had problems with the narcotics. I was moving around soon. You will do fine. I did not want to see videos, etc, as I am a coward! In fact when they bought me in the OR, i kept my eyes closed. I kept them laughting as I said I don't want to see anything! Get rest and stay positive and talk to others to allay your fears.
    G

Good Luck
    I had my left kidney removed in 2007. It was done lap. Was in hospital for four days. The only problem I had when I got home was my hormones were a mess. It lasted about three weeks. My cancer was found accidentally...I had to have a ct scan for something else and within 2 hours of the scan the doctor was calling me to tell me that I had a spot on my left kidney and what he was checking me for was fine. We found it so early that I did not have to do any treatments. I go every six months for a ct scan and of course that always scares the hell out of me.