Round 5 of Chemo completed

Ro10
Ro10 Member Posts: 1,561 Member
I had my two long days of chemo on Wednesday and Thursay. 8- 4 one day for the Taxol infusion, and 9- 4:15 the second day for the Cisplatin infusion. Luckily both infusions went well with no reactions. They used the same pre-meds as last time. Lots of Steroids.

I went Tuesday for my lab draw, as they only run the CA 125 on Tuesday and I did want to wait a whole week for the results. My CA 125 did not drop like I hoped it would. It went from 118 - to 56. It was still more than half, but I was hoping for it to be below 35. So that means I will need another treatment in 3 weeks.

I go for follow up lab work in a week to check my liver and kidney function. They have been fine, so hopefully they will remain fine. Hydration is so important with the Cisplatin.

They could not draw blood from my port again. Since they had just x-rayed it 3 weeks ago and used the clot buster (activase) and it irrigated easily they went ahead and used it for the infusions. The doctor said they would only use the activase every 2nd or 3rd time. I took baby aspirin before I started chemo, so I am going to resume it and see if that helps. Has anyone else needed to use the clot busters frequently?

I have had more nausea with the Cisplatin. But one pill a day usually takes care of it. I use either compazine or zofran. I have not had any vomiting though, so that is a good thing. I cannot work in my gardens like I used to. But I take rest periods and then resume working. Working outside is such good therapy for me. I still have that coating on my tongue, so some foods do not taste like they should. But these are all minor things compared to what others have for side effects.

Again I am hoping for only one more treatment for this round. Have not heard anything definite about adding Avastin. I will see the doctor after my lab draw on Thursday. Will discuss the pro's and con's of taking the Avastin or going treatment free for a while again, and giving the body a rest. However I am one of the fortunate ones whose blood counts remain high even though I get chemo.

Hope you all have a good weekend. In peace and caring.

Comments

• norma2
    norma2 Member Posts: 479
    {{{RO}}}}
    Here is hoping that darned CA 125 drops like a rock. When I was on cisplatin I found the Zofran (I liked it better than the Compazine) made me constipated. (Amazing how comfortable we are with each other to talk of such things.) Anyway a stool softener helped me in that department. I never got nauseated with the Taxol/Carbol but the cisplatin made me nauseated for several days after infusion. Hubby though I needed some good meat so he would cook deer meat for me since it is so pure. I hated to tell him but the smell would just drive me nuts.

I am thinking of you, dear. Praying for you and sending you positive vibes.
  • kkstef
    kkstef Member Posts: 688 Member
    WHEW!
    Ro, so good to hear that although your treatments are LONG, you got through them without any reaction. Am sure that nausea business is annoying...especially when you are wanting to get out to those flowers in your yard!

Am hoping that your labs continue to be good and that your CA125 continues its downward spiral!

Sending you positive energy and big hugs!

Karen
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    kkstef said:

WHEW!
    Ro, so good to hear that although your treatments are LONG, you got through them without any reaction. Am sure that nausea business is annoying...especially when you are wanting to get out to those flowers in your yard!

Am hoping that your labs continue to be good and that your CA125 continues its downward spiral!

Sending you positive energy and big hugs!

Karen

That's one hell of a CA125 drop, Ro!! :D
    The long long days of chemo don't sound too pleasant, but clearly you are very chemo responsive and that is the common denominator in those that live a long time (long remissions + good chemo response = long survival time). One more round and you'll be under 35 and then you can make an argument for taking another long safe break that will hopefully stretch on & on. (((Ro))).

I had to take a Zofran Friday night because I felt so queasy, only the 2nd time I've ever taken an anti-nausea since I got cancer. I didn't throw up or anything, but i was supposed to get a prescription for Prilosec filled that I put off since my mapping, & now I know that I have to take that every day to help my liver since they did the 'mapping' inserting all of those little plugs in preparation for the embolism on the 1st. Now that I've started taking the daily Prilosec, the nausea hasn't returned.

Try and get out in your garden each day, even if it's just to walk around and deadhead the spent flowers and see what plants have new buds, etc. The garden changes every day and a walk around your own garden is a joy you need each day. If my blood pressure is high-ish on the 1st reading, I always have them take it again and the second time I think of my garden and it comes right down. My crimson poppies have huge 5" blooms today; and lots of bearded irises and columbines in every color combo and my Hino Crimson azaleas are spectacular now with the silly allium purple balls floating in front of them. ((((Ro)))).
  • Cindy Bear
    Cindy Bear Member Posts: 569
    thinking of you
    and hoping that one more treatment is all that is takes to get your CA low and that you are able to take a nice, long break from treatment and enjoy your gardening.
    Hugs,
    Cindy
  • HellieC
    HellieC Member Posts: 524 Member
    Fingers crossed for just one more round
    That's a good drop in CA 125 - just one more in the same league and it will be back within reference range. Hang on in there - NED is just around the corner.
    Kindest wishes
    Helen
  • Ro10
    HellieC said:

Fingers crossed for just one more round
    That's a good drop in CA 125 - just one more in the same league and it will be back within reference range. Hang on in there - NED is just around the corner.
    Kindest wishes
    Helen

Had my follow-up lab tests completed
    Had lab to check kidney and liver functions after the Cisplatin. Everything looks good. I have not been able to drink as much as usual due to the awful metallic taste from the Cisplatin. It seems to get worse each day. Anyone else experience the metallic taste with all fluids and foods. Any suggestions? The doctor's only suggestion was to get through with the chemo.

I am hoping that this chemo is the last for a while. In two weeks I will have lab on Tuesday and Chemo on Wed and Thursday. I pray it is the last one for quite a while. I will need my port declotted again before the next treatments. Anyone else have trouble with their port clotting off. I have the "groshong tip" on my port. I wonder if those clot off easier.

Earlier the doctor talked about adding Avastin to the mix, but he does not think there would be a benefit to adding it if the next chemo will be the last treatment for a while. He talked about doing a restaging several weeks after the next chemo. He would do lab and CAT scan. Then if the CAT scan showed something a PET scan. He did not think the 4 "suspicious" lymph nodes were really of any significance. He said everyone's lymph nodes change size fo different reasons. He said if I would have come in for a car accident rather that "cancer" the radiologist would have ignored the lymph nodes. Different theory????

He said if I went more than six months NED than they would put me back on Taxol/Cisplatin for the next round of treatment and possible add the Avastin.

I have been tired, nauseated, and metallic taste in my mouth. But considering there is a list of 45 things I could be feeling, I'd say I am very lucky.

Hope you all have a Happy Memorial Day. We are going to visit our daughter and son-in-law. It should be a warm weekend here. In peace and caring.
  • upsofloating
    upsofloating Member Posts: 466 Member
    Ro10 said:

Had lab to check kidney and liver functions after the Cisplatin. Everything looks good. I have not been able to drink as much as usual due to the awful metallic taste from the Cisplatin. It seems to get worse each day. Anyone else experience the metallic taste with all fluids and foods. Any suggestions? The doctor's only suggestion was to get through with the chemo.

I am hoping that this chemo is the last for a while. In two weeks I will have lab on Tuesday and Chemo on Wed and Thursday. I pray it is the last one for quite a while. I will need my port declotted again before the next treatments. Anyone else have trouble with their port clotting off. I have the "groshong tip" on my port. I wonder if those clot off easier.

Earlier the doctor talked about adding Avastin to the mix, but he does not think there would be a benefit to adding it if the next chemo will be the last treatment for a while. He talked about doing a restaging several weeks after the next chemo. He would do lab and CAT scan. Then if the CAT scan showed something a PET scan. He did not think the 4 "suspicious" lymph nodes were really of any significance. He said everyone's lymph nodes change size fo different reasons. He said if I would have come in for a car accident rather that "cancer" the radiologist would have ignored the lymph nodes. Different theory????

He said if I went more than six months NED than they would put me back on Taxol/Cisplatin for the next round of treatment and possible add the Avastin.

I have been tired, nauseated, and metallic taste in my mouth. But considering there is a list of 45 things I could be feeling, I'd say I am very lucky.

Hope you all have a Happy Memorial Day. We are going to visit our daughter and son-in-law. It should be a warm weekend here. In peace and caring.

You are almost there, Ro!
    You are almost there, Ro! It's great that all labs indicate your body is tolerating the chemo well, even if you don't feel quite so well. Being able to keep the chemo going will get you thru and on your return to normal. Your weekend with family will be a nice diversion. Enjoy!!!
    Annie
  • HellieC
    HellieC Member Posts: 524 Member
    Ro10 said:

You're doing so well.....
    You're doing so well, Ro - hang on in there. I had taste changes too (not metallic, but everything tasted "odd"). I found that eggs actually tasted like eggs (boiled, poached etc) so that was one way to get protein into my system. Just about the only other thing that tasted OK was french fries - not so good for the anti cancer diet! So I guess it's just a case of keep trying things until you get a "normal" taste. For me, it lasted for about a week after each chemo infusion, then gradually went back to normal. I know that some people have found milkshakes/icecream OK and a good way to get some nourishment.
    Thinking of you - you're on the home straight now
    Helen
  • Rewriter
    Rewriter Member Posts: 493 Member
    HellieC said:

You're doing so well.....
    You're doing so well, Ro - hang on in there. I had taste changes too (not metallic, but everything tasted "odd"). I found that eggs actually tasted like eggs (boiled, poached etc) so that was one way to get protein into my system. Just about the only other thing that tasted OK was french fries - not so good for the anti cancer diet! So I guess it's just a case of keep trying things until you get a "normal" taste. For me, it lasted for about a week after each chemo infusion, then gradually went back to normal. I know that some people have found milkshakes/icecream OK and a good way to get some nourishment.
    Thinking of you - you're on the home straight now
    Helen

Thinking of you, Ro
    and hoping that you are thoroughly enjoying the weekend with your family. It is gorgeous where I am, and I hope that the same is true where you are.

I've been following your treatment responses; and I hope that you are feeling positive. I'm sorry your infusion days are so long and that you are having nausea and problems with food tasting odd. On the other hand, your CA-125 drop has been dramatic. I'll be sending positive thoughts about the next treatment returning you to NED and letting you stay there for a long, long time.

With much caring,

Jill
  • Becky444
    Becky444 Member Posts: 29 Member
    Ro10 said:

Suggestions on Food & Fluids
    Hi Ro,
    I don't post very often but I always look for your posts to see how you are doing. That chemo is doing the job for you but sorry you don't feel very well. I remember when I was on my 6th carbo/taxol I had a hard time eating/drinking anything. I hated putting anything in my mouth because of the taste. The one thing that tasted like it was suppose to was watermellon. Hope you can give it a try & will find it tastes good too. Good luck to you as you finish your treatment.

All my UPSC sisters are wished well and hope you all enjoy Memorial Day.
    Blessings,
    Becky
  • TiggersDoBounce
    TiggersDoBounce Member Posts: 408
    Ro10 said:

Hello Ro!
    Hello out there...Hope you are well!

I only had one round of Cisplatin, but remember salty things were recommended. I ate my favorite potato chips and they tasted great. They wanted me to eat salty foods to encourage drinking...I also kept some peppermint/wintergreen mints nearby and that kept that metallic taste to a minimum.

Hang in and let us know how you are doing!

Laurie
  • daisy366
    daisy366 Member Posts: 1,458 Member

Hello Ro!
    Hello out there...Hope you are well!

I only had one round of Cisplatin, but remember salty things were recommended. I ate my favorite potato chips and they tasted great. They wanted me to eat salty foods to encourage drinking...I also kept some peppermint/wintergreen mints nearby and that kept that metallic taste to a minimum.

Hang in and let us know how you are doing!

Laurie

Ro
    You are soldiering on with class and dignity. I hope the 6th round is your last and then a long break. I'm confident your ca125 will continue to drop nicely.

Question: what is rationale for cisplatin rather than carboplatin?

I have been so fortunate with my port. Mine is a regular "Bard" port. I've never had any issues with it. Is this the first time you've had clotting problems?

May the sun continue to shine on you and your beautiful flowers.

Love, Mary Ann
  • Ro10
    daisy366 said:

Ro
    You are soldiering on with class and dignity. I hope the 6th round is your last and then a long break. I'm confident your ca125 will continue to drop nicely.

Question: what is rationale for cisplatin rather than carboplatin?

I have been so fortunate with my port. Mine is a regular "Bard" port. I've never had any issues with it. Is this the first time you've had clotting problems?

May the sun continue to shine on you and your beautiful flowers.

Love, Mary Ann

Thanks for the suggestions
    I did buy a watermelon this week and it has tasted very good. Ever since I started these sessions of chemo salty things have tasted better than other foods. i have eaten more chips which I normally never eat, corn chips and pretzels. Even though they make me thirsty I still have to force myself to drink. Today is a little better day. I have found that crystal light helps me get down the water. The peppermint does not really help the taste.

Mary Ann this will be the third time they have had to use the clot busters on on port. They had to in Florida before I left and once after I got back here. They did a chest x-ray to make sure the tip of th port is where it should be, and it is properly placed. One of the nurses said that sometimes they use the clot buster and then have the person come back every week for flushes and that sometimes help. We'll see what the plan will be after the 6th chemo.

The reason for changing to Cisplatin is that I had a severe reaction to Carboplatin with session 3. The doctor said if I got Carboplatin again I could end up in ICU or having a Code Blue if I had another reaction. He said he would give me the Carboplatin if I insisted. I opted to go with the Cisplatin. He said the terrible taste is why they went the Carboplatin instead of the Cisplatin. The Cisplatin is also harder on the kidneys and liver and needs closer monitoring. I never had any blood work done between cycles with the Carboplatin. But I was afraid to get the Carboplatin again.

I hope session 6 will be the last chemo treatment for quite a while. Mary Ann hope you are enjoying NED and you are finding increasing strength and energy. In peace and caring.
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Ro10 said:

Thanks for the suggestions
    I did buy a watermelon this week and it has tasted very good. Ever since I started these sessions of chemo salty things have tasted better than other foods. i have eaten more chips which I normally never eat, corn chips and pretzels. Even though they make me thirsty I still have to force myself to drink. Today is a little better day. I have found that crystal light helps me get down the water. The peppermint does not really help the taste.

Mary Ann this will be the third time they have had to use the clot busters on on port. They had to in Florida before I left and once after I got back here. They did a chest x-ray to make sure the tip of th port is where it should be, and it is properly placed. One of the nurses said that sometimes they use the clot buster and then have the person come back every week for flushes and that sometimes help. We'll see what the plan will be after the 6th chemo.

The reason for changing to Cisplatin is that I had a severe reaction to Carboplatin with session 3. The doctor said if I got Carboplatin again I could end up in ICU or having a Code Blue if I had another reaction. He said he would give me the Carboplatin if I insisted. I opted to go with the Cisplatin. He said the terrible taste is why they went the Carboplatin instead of the Cisplatin. The Cisplatin is also harder on the kidneys and liver and needs closer monitoring. I never had any blood work done between cycles with the Carboplatin. But I was afraid to get the Carboplatin again.

I hope session 6 will be the last chemo treatment for quite a while. Mary Ann hope you are enjoying NED and you are finding increasing strength and energy. In peace and caring.

Sounds like you're doing well
    in spite of your numbers not being under 35. They're still down big time and I hope this next (and final) treatment will continue to do the trick and knock the number down and keep you in remission for a long long time. Chemo is such nasty stuff. I'm not sure I actually realized it until lately.

Best of everything tomorrow and Thursday.

Suzanne
  • daisy366
    daisy366 Member Posts: 1,458 Member

Sounds like you're doing well
    in spite of your numbers not being under 35. They're still down big time and I hope this next (and final) treatment will continue to do the trick and knock the number down and keep you in remission for a long long time. Chemo is such nasty stuff. I'm not sure I actually realized it until lately.

Best of everything tomorrow and Thursday.

Suzanne

So Sorry
    Ro, I'm so sorry that you are having such a hard time - <<<darn>>>>. I guess I had a mild reaction to carboplatin and need to be grateful for all my good fortune.

Please enjoy the next couple of weeks in your flower garden!!!

I go back for tests at end of June - more shall be revealed - but until then I am enjoying myself and getting some long overdue tasks done at home. Feels good to check things off that "to do" list.

Love to you, Mary Ann