Recall of AMS 800

Old-timer
Old-timer Member Posts: 196
I was scheduled to have the AMS 800 implanted in July. My urologist's appointment scheduler called today and informed me that the gadget has been recalled because a correction needs to be made to the pump. My appointment has been cancelled and will be rescheduled when replacement equipment becomes available. This may be in the fall, I was told. Anybody have information about this?

Comments

• Trew
    Trew Member Posts: 932 Member
    I hope it was only the AUS
    I hope it was only the AUS they were going to use on you and not all of them.

SCREAM!!

What luck!
  • Old-timer
    Trew said:

I hope it was only the AUS
    I hope it was only the AUS they were going to use on you and not all of them.

SCREAM!!

What luck!

I don't know how extensive the recall is.
    My appointment scheduler said she had to cancel appointments for six or seven other folks who were in line to receive the AUS. Sounds as if it may be a general recall. Perhaps others will have the answer and tell us more. I suppose it is possible (but not likely, in my opinion) that our local urology folks have outdated equipment in stock. Sorry to be the bearer of negative news. Hope I am wrong. Just checking it out.

We'll see what happens.
  • guards
    guards Member Posts: 72
    Old-timer said:

I don't know how extensive the recall is.
    My appointment scheduler said she had to cancel appointments for six or seven other folks who were in line to receive the AUS. Sounds as if it may be a general recall. Perhaps others will have the answer and tell us more. I suppose it is possible (but not likely, in my opinion) that our local urology folks have outdated equipment in stock. Sorry to be the bearer of negative news. Hope I am wrong. Just checking it out.

We'll see what happens.

Found it on the web all were recalled. The danger was accidental activation during the 8 weeks,
  • Old-timer
    guards said:

Found it on the web all were recalled. The danger was accidental activation during the 8 weeks,

Thank you, Guards
    Thank you for finding this info. I looked for it on the Web but failed to find it. I'm glad to learn they are fixing it. I'm so sorry if this results in yet another delay for you, Trew.
  • mrspjd
    mrspjd Member Posts: 694 Member
    Old-timer said:

Thank you, Guards
    Thank you for finding this info. I looked for it on the Web but failed to find it. I'm glad to learn they are fixing it. I'm so sorry if this results in yet another delay for you, Trew.

Perhaps this might be helpful:

http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/fsn/documents/fieldsafetynotice/con117443.pdf
  • Trew
    Trew Member Posts: 932 Member
    Old-timer said:

Thank you, Guards

Oh well
    This has been an interesting journey since dx and surgery/radiation/HT. This is just part of the journey. It has been a waiting game now for a year. When I first went to U of MI Dr Latini told me this was going to take a year to be sure no scar tissue returns. she can not be hurried or rushed- for this July will be the end of the 1 yr. when I say her in May she she talked briefly about getting a 6-week period in my schedule cleared from about the end of July- August. That was the first positive indication from her that we were getting closer to installation. I just hope the recall won't take much time.

I think I'll take up playing tournment monoply to help pass the time.
  • Old-timer
    Trew said:

Oh well
    This has been an interesting journey since dx and surgery/radiation/HT. This is just part of the journey. It has been a waiting game now for a year. When I first went to U of MI Dr Latini told me this was going to take a year to be sure no scar tissue returns. she can not be hurried or rushed- for this July will be the end of the 1 yr. when I say her in May she she talked briefly about getting a 6-week period in my schedule cleared from about the end of July- August. That was the first positive indication from her that we were getting closer to installation. I just hope the recall won't take much time.

I think I'll take up playing tournment monoply to help pass the time.

Unwelcome News Today
    Had session with my urologist today to get my bladder examined. Two bits of news to report. First, I asked her if she knew when the AUS 800 would be off the recall. She said the company expects the problem to be corrected in three to six months.

The second news item concerns the examination itself. We learned that a scar tissue issue must be dealt with before I can become a candidate for the AUS 800. After I have time to collect my thoughts, I will post another message to discuss my feelings and ask for your advice. I am not unreasonably upset, primarily because of what I have learned from reading messages from you and others. As you, Trew, have said: when you are coping with PC, you take what comes and deal with it. That's what I intend to do!

Must go to dinner now. More in a day or two.