celebrate 50 year survivor

My mom will be a 50 year survivor of cervical cancer in 2012. Additionally, she had breast cancer 12 years ago. She is an amazing 85 year old who looks 10 or 20 years younger than her age. She bowls in 2 leagues and carries an average between 140 and 150. She recently bowled a 537 series. What can I do to publicize this besides putting a private classified in the paper? Also, does anyone know how to nominate someone for the Kentucky Oaks survivor march?

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    How wonderful for your mom!
    How wonderful for your mom! You might try contacting your local newspaper. They should have a personal interest column or health section. Congratulations!
  • bluerose
    bluerose Member Posts: 1,104
    How Wonderful
    I am a 24 year survivor and to think your Mom survived twice as long as I did and is 85 and so active with that old treatment blows my mind.

You are right to try to get some publicity for her, what an inspiration. THe best way to do it is to contact local tv stations and they will send a reporter down to do an interview with her and maybe some of her friends and family. People need to hear success stories like that, even with older treatment there are survivors. JUST FANTASTIC.

Congrats to your Mom from a fellow survivor.

Blessings,

Bluerose
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    bluerose said:

How Wonderful
    I am a 24 year survivor and to think your Mom survived twice as long as I did and is 85 and so active with that old treatment blows my mind.

You are right to try to get some publicity for her, what an inspiration. THe best way to do it is to contact local tv stations and they will send a reporter down to do an interview with her and maybe some of her friends and family. People need to hear success stories like that, even with older treatment there are survivors. JUST FANTASTIC.

Congrats to your Mom from a fellow survivor.

Blessings,

Bluerose

Wow
    I agree Fantastic news! More important than 50 years ago knowledge and treatment was at rudimentary level. You can also can contact local chapter of American Cancer Society, she can meet with women who are currently in treatment diving them inspiration and hope.
    Congratulations to you and your Mom
    New Flower
  • Eltina21
    Eltina21 Member Posts: 173 Member
    50 year survivor
    Your mom is an inspiration for us all. Thank you so much for sharing.

Peace and Blessings,
    Karen
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Long live our Mothers

I am glad to hear that your Mother is a survivor of 50 years, I lost my Mother to Colon cancer she too was a fighter all the way to the end.

Take care
    Hondo
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Hondo said:

Long live our Mothers

I am glad to hear that your Mother is a survivor of 50 years, I lost my Mother to Colon cancer she too was a fighter all the way to the end.

Take care
    Hondo

My mother
    My mother was a 60 year breast cancer survivor.She passed away at age 81.She was dx at 21.I am a 2 year survivor dx at 62 and it's a fight everyday. My niece is a 7 year survivor dx at 30.

Lynn Smith
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    I love these stories!
    It gives us all hope!

Thanks for sharing :)

Hugs,

Sylvia
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    sea60 said:

I love these stories!
    It gives us all hope!

Hugs,

Sylvia

Mothers
    I think of my Mom sometimes and all the bad things I did when I was young. Just wish I could go back in time and change them now and tell her how sorry I am for being what I was back then. But I know I will see her again one day and that is the beauty of Christian faith.

Hondo
  • sunshine.dance
    sunshine.dance Member Posts: 21
    Hondo said:

Mothers
    I think of my Mom sometimes and all the bad things I did when I was young. Just wish I could go back in time and change them now and tell her how sorry I am for being what I was back then. But I know I will see her again one day and that is the beauty of Christian faith.

Hondo

Tis is something that should
    Tis is something that should be celebrated!! How inspiring!!! I'm a 38 year survivor of HD and hope to make it to at least 50 yrs as a survivor.
  • mailadee
    mailadee Member Posts: 5
    update
    Last July mom was diagnosed with brain and bone Cancer. A graph showed that she had over 700 cancer cells. Even though she is very healthy otherwise(she takes no prescriptions), aggressive treatment can't be used because of her advanced age. They started her on male hormone shots. Ironic because my husband's testes were removed to **** his cancers. In august her cells went up to the 800's and steadily down eber since. She had an appointment today and had cells are in the 50's. Oh, by the way, she had 4 bowling series in the 500's this season. I called the local cancer society because mom said she would love to be a speaker and they couldn't have cared less.
  • mailadee

Tis is something that should
    Tis is something that should be celebrated!! How inspiring!!! I'm a 38 year survivor of HD and hope to make it to at least 50 yrs as a survivor.

c update
    Can u believe it?
  • mailadee
    Hondo said:

Long live our Mothers

Take care
    Hondo

c update
    Can u believe it?
  • mailadee
    Eltina21 said:

50 year survivor
    Your mom is an inspiration for us all. Thank you so much for sharing.

Peace and Blessings,
    Karen

c update
    Can u believe it?
  • LaDonnaD
    LaDonnaD Member Posts: 1
    So, 5 years is not too much to ask?

I was just diagnosed with metasticized cervical cancer in my lower right lobe of my lung. (It's gone now)

My Doc said it was clearly a systemic situation, but we caught it very early. I am scared out of my gourd because I'm not even 50 yet, and aside from having cancer, I'm in pretty good shape! So, I asked her "Can I get 5 years?" she was set aback, saying she'd like to see more, but that was reasonable.

We are in a "wait and watch" mode, but ready to kick into high gear with a new drug combo just released....

After a harrowing day waiting 3 hours to talk with my Thoracic Surgeon for about 3 minutes, I have been an utter wreck...it is good to know and see that there is hope even in my stage IVb stage....

• shinning_like_me
    shinning_like_me Member Posts: 23
    sea60 said:

I love these stories!
    It gives us all hope!

Hugs,

Sylvia

HI THERE,
    my mum in law is a

HI THERE,

my mum in law is a 15 years survivor and is very a fun loving person .......

• Intrepid
    Intrepid Member Posts: 7
    50 year survivor

Congratulations!  I wish there would be more publicity about these long-term survivors!  It's very heartening.  Why not write a letter to Susan Komen foundation, the Avon walk, or the Amer. Cancer Society themselves?  Also, tell the hospital where she most recently had treatment -- they usually have celebrations.  

• Intrepid
    Intrepid Member Posts: 7
    LaDonnaD said:

So, 5 years is not too much to ask?

I was just diagnosed with metasticized cervical cancer in my lower right lobe of my lung. (It's gone now)

My Doc said it was clearly a systemic situation, but we caught it very early. I am scared out of my gourd because I'm not even 50 yet, and aside from having cancer, I'm in pretty good shape! So, I asked her "Can I get 5 years?" she was set aback, saying she'd like to see more, but that was reasonable.

We are in a "wait and watch" mode, but ready to kick into high gear with a new drug combo just released....

After a harrowing day waiting 3 hours to talk with my Thoracic Surgeon for about 3 minutes, I have been an utter wreck...it is good to know and see that there is hope even in my stage IVb stage....

5 years?

Of course you can get 5 years!  Look at Lance Armstrong -- he had mets to lungs and brain in his twenties.  OK, so he cheated at the bike racing, but still...  I'm in a support group with a 10year survivor of lung mets.  So nobody can predict the future.  Go see "Dallas Buyers Club" for how someone outlived a 1-month prognosis.

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,352 Member
    Intrepid said:

50 year survivor

Congratulations!  I wish there would be more publicity about these long-term survivors!  It's very heartening.  Why not write a letter to Susan Komen foundation, the Avon walk, or the Amer. Cancer Society themselves?  Also, tell the hospital where she most recently had treatment -- they usually have celebrations.  

If it isn't breast

Komen isn't interested.  I emailed them and asked them to consider ALL women's cancer.  Nope.  We only care about breasts.  Well, I think all cancers are pretty terrible, and as a woman I am more than my breast.  American Cencer Society helps all. 

However, I do agree with you, it is so uplifting to hear about people who have beaten the odds!

• CH
    CH Member Posts: 4
    Congrats from a 1967 Kidney

Congrats from a 1967 Kidney Cancer Survivor.  I was 2 months old, 3rd stage, and fatal.  Now 47.   What a blessing for you and your mother!