Yervoy

jessicarhodes
jessicarhodes Member Posts: 16
My daughter goes to talk to a dr about this treatment tomorrow. Ive read that it can prolong her life for up to 10 mos. and there is a 15%-20% chance it could kill her. Her liver is already compromised due to the cancer in it. and it says it can cause your liver to shut down. Also im concerned with quality of life. Is there anyone who has taken it and actually felt better? Or does it make you sicker? Shes already very ill and tired.

Comments

• dearfoam
    dearfoam Member Posts: 82
    not direct advice
    My dad's going through this and we looked into Yervoy in our own research. My uncle is very good friends with a top guy at the CDC and he has consulted a top Onc at Atlanta Cancer Center. He says that "it works well when it works." But it was not a fit for my dad as his charity insurance provider won't cover it being so new and pricey.
  • txhamilton5
    txhamilton5 Member Posts: 11
    dearfoam said:

not direct advice
    My dad's going through this and we looked into Yervoy in our own research. My uncle is very good friends with a top guy at the CDC and he has consulted a top Onc at Atlanta Cancer Center. He says that "it works well when it works." But it was not a fit for my dad as his charity insurance provider won't cover it being so new and pricey.

Yervoy
    I recall that when this drug became available last month it was said that if the cost was a problem for a patient that they should contact Bristol Meyers Sqibb, the manufacturer, for assistance. Don't give up because of your insurance. Best of luck to your dad and your family!
  • dearfoam
    dearfoam Member Posts: 82

Yervoy
    I recall that when this drug became available last month it was said that if the cost was a problem for a patient that they should contact Bristol Meyers Sqibb, the manufacturer, for assistance. Don't give up because of your insurance. Best of luck to your dad and your family!

patient assistance
    BMS does have patient assistance programs, but my dad's doctors have him on a med more appropriate for him.