First the good news...

2»

Comments

• goofytc
    goofytc Member Posts: 8
    Hope in chemo
    While chemo side effects are no fun, it is well worth it. I had a huge tumor, that didn't seem to be shrinking. Wasn't looking good at all after 4 weeks of chemo. Then I started my rounds of 5 F U, and 2 weeks later I had NO TUMOR!! It was gone. I am going to have stubborn faith and believe chemo will work for you! You have an amazing attitude and I have much love and respect for you! A bond brought on by cancer is one not easily broken! I am here - if for nothing else but an ear- I am here. Wishing the best for you and believing the best can happen!! Hang in there and keep us posted.
    Tina
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member

RobinVan
    I had read his posts here and followed hid blog. He does seem to be doing well for where he is on his cancer journey and recovering in rehab. Earlier he was able to walk his daughter down the isle and recently enjoyed the birth of a new grandchild. He is proof that life can be rewarding even amidst life threatening cancer. Thanks for the thought. I will try and connect with Rob after the board convenes and I have as much info as I am likely to given my particular circumstances.

Rob in Van and another family friend
    I now know of two people that have had successful surgery removing the sacrum due to large tumors mostly considered inoperable. So maybe it is something for you to consider also? It is a tough surgery with a hard recovery, but it can be done.
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    AnneCan said:

I am sorry Rick
    I hoped you would have better news than that. I am not sure if you remember RobinVan or not; he had a sacral tumour as well + was treated for awhile but then received surgery over 2 days to have it removed. I have not seen an update from him for awhile, but last I heard he was in rehab. His surgery was done in Vancouver, British Columbia. It might be a good idea to connect with him to find out what you can. Again I am so sorry you didn't get better news.

Rob
    Rob posted on facebook the other day that he is home!

*hugs*
    Gail
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Praying for you
    Rick,

I'm really sorry to read this. In your picture you look so sturdy and healthy! I'm praying that an answer will be revealed very soon! There must be something that can improve your situation.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • RickMurtagh
    RickMurtagh Member Posts: 587 Member
    tootsie1 said:

Praying for you
    Rick,

I'm really sorry to read this. In your picture you look so sturdy and healthy! I'm praying that an answer will be revealed very soon! There must be something that can improve your situation.

*hugs*
    Gail

Remarkably, I am much unchanged from that picture. It was taken in August of last year during my son's wedding and other than being 20 pounds lighter and the new tumor, I am pretty much the same. New symptoms keep cropping up regularly and old ones relating to my colectomy have come back to keep me company. I just don't know what my life would even be like without the doctor's visits, pills and Depends. I do not know if I would know what to do with myself.

Thank you Gail, Tina, Blake and all then others who have posted here to encourage me. It really helps. In fact I am trying to get my wife to join the board because I know what our little community has to offer and it would be a shame if she did not take advantage of it.

Okay, I have another joke:
    A gallant captain takes his ship and crew through pirate infested waters. On the first day they encounter a pirate ship and before engaging the pirates then captain calls out, "Bring me my red vest!". The captain and crew repel the pirates and sends them down to Davey Jones Locker. A few days later the ship, captain and crew encounter pirates again. This time there are four pirate ships! Again the captain calls out, "Bring me my red vest!". The captain again dawns red vest and leads his crew to victory against the dread pirates, sending them also into the deep.

The curious crew asked the captain, "Why do you call for your red vest every time we encounter pirates?". The captain responded, "I call for my red vest so that if I get wounded in battle my wounds will not show, lest you become discouraged.". The crew was greatly encouraged by the leadership and thoughtfulness of their brave captain.

The next day they again encountered pirates, except this time there where ten pirate ships! The captain rallies his crew, calls them to arms and calls out, "Bring me my brown pants!"
  • amylouisa
    amylouisa Member Posts: 3
    My brother's tumor sounds
    My brother's tumor sounds like yours and they told him they couldn't help him at University of Michigan. We went to Mayo and they will be operating May 18th with 50% chance of cure. Have you checked Mayo? His involves the prostate, bladder, and sacrum.
  • amylouisa
    amylouisa Member Posts: 3
    My brother's tumor sounds
    My brother's tumor sounds like yours and they told him they couldn't help him at University of Michigan. We went to Mayo and they will be operating May 18th with 50% chance of cure. Have you checked Mayo? His involves the prostate, bladder, and sacrum.
  • SisterSledge
    SisterSledge Member Posts: 332 Member

Remarkably, I am much unchanged from that picture. It was taken in August of last year during my son's wedding and other than being 20 pounds lighter and the new tumor, I am pretty much the same. New symptoms keep cropping up regularly and old ones relating to my colectomy have come back to keep me company. I just don't know what my life would even be like without the doctor's visits, pills and Depends. I do not know if I would know what to do with myself.

Thank you Gail, Tina, Blake and all then others who have posted here to encourage me. It really helps. In fact I am trying to get my wife to join the board because I know what our little community has to offer and it would be a shame if she did not take advantage of it.

Okay, I have another joke:
    A gallant captain takes his ship and crew through pirate infested waters. On the first day they encounter a pirate ship and before engaging the pirates then captain calls out, "Bring me my red vest!". The captain and crew repel the pirates and sends them down to Davey Jones Locker. A few days later the ship, captain and crew encounter pirates again. This time there are four pirate ships! Again the captain calls out, "Bring me my red vest!". The captain again dawns red vest and leads his crew to victory against the dread pirates, sending them also into the deep.

The curious crew asked the captain, "Why do you call for your red vest every time we encounter pirates?". The captain responded, "I call for my red vest so that if I get wounded in battle my wounds will not show, lest you become discouraged.". The crew was greatly encouraged by the leadership and thoughtfulness of their brave captain.

The next day they again encountered pirates, except this time there where ten pirate ships! The captain rallies his crew, calls them to arms and calls out, "Bring me my brown pants!"

Thanks for the smiles
    Thanks bunches Rick, your jokes have helped me smile even when it's not a good day. ~hugs~
    Janine
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    sorry about the bad news
    rick,

i just hope you find some treatment options that give you real hope.
    i love the jokes and humour is essential tool of a cancer survivor.

hugs,
    pete
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    Rick
    Rick,
    I'll be thinking about you on Monday when your case goes before the board at MSKCC. I hope and pray they come up with some options for you.
    Thank you for sharing your humor with us. Keep it coming.

Aloha,
    Kathleen