Age at Install of AUS 800-When too old

guards
guards Member Posts: 72
We have a new member Old timer asked a question that was kind of burried in another thread and I thought it deserved its own space. At what age was your unit installed and is any age TOO OLD. Me I was 67 and I think if your resonably healthy no age is too old as long as you desire to be dry and free again.

Comments

• ob66
    ob66 Member Posts: 227 Member
    AUS age
    I was 68 when mine was installed last May. It works like a charm. I assisted a friend who was incontinent for 15 years after RT. His situation was difficult as the RT makes the tissues less amenable to a good result. Last Oct. he had a double sleeved AUS placed, and you can imagine how happy he is. After 15 years of incontinence (take note Trew), he is DRY!!! Oh, did I mention he is 86 years old??? Again, your age is in your head.
  • Old-timer
    Old-timer Member Posts: 196
    ob66 said:

AUS age
    I was 68 when mine was installed last May. It works like a charm. I assisted a friend who was incontinent for 15 years after RT. His situation was difficult as the RT makes the tissues less amenable to a good result. Last Oct. he had a double sleeved AUS placed, and you can imagine how happy he is. After 15 years of incontinence (take note Trew), he is DRY!!! Oh, did I mention he is 86 years old??? Again, your age is in your head.

I thank both of you for your replies and your encouragement. I am 84 years old. I have decided to proceed toward surgery. My uro who will implant the AUS is booked up for several weeks. I have an appointment for urodynamics in June and surgery in early July. I'm getting anxious to get going; but the wait is giving me time to study and ponder! I underwent external beam radiation six years ago. I had radical prostatectomy several years prior to that. The incontinence problem came on after the radiation. I want to get it corrected if that is possible. Should I flunk the urodynamics test or if the gadget refuses to work for me I will feel better for having tried. We'll see what happens. I will keep you posted.
  • ob66
    ob66 Member Posts: 227 Member
    Old-timer said:

I thank both of you for your replies and your encouragement. I am 84 years old. I have decided to proceed toward surgery. My uro who will implant the AUS is booked up for several weeks. I have an appointment for urodynamics in June and surgery in early July. I'm getting anxious to get going; but the wait is giving me time to study and ponder! I underwent external beam radiation six years ago. I had radical prostatectomy several years prior to that. The incontinence problem came on after the radiation. I want to get it corrected if that is possible. Should I flunk the urodynamics test or if the gadget refuses to work for me I will feel better for having tried. We'll see what happens. I will keep you posted.

Best of luck to you
    Oldtimer. I think you will be very pleased you did so. I know my friend has found a new lifestyle after all those years of incontinence. We laugh about the things we used to worry about (not meant as any insult to those who suffer incontinence, but as encouragement to Oldtimer). Good luck and let us know.
  • guards
    guards Member Posts: 72
    ob66 said:

AUS age

radiation
    Oldtimer the scar tissue caused by radiation seems to be a major culprit in most of our incontinance but the 800 will solve the problem. I doubt that the uro testing will be a problem as long as you have some pressure and a little volume left it will be fine.