what is it like to have a lung removed?

imagemkr
imagemkr Member Posts: 34
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
HI I have small cell lung cancer and maybe they suspect another kind, they have chemoed, radiation and I still have a tiny growth that is cancerous, they have done cts and pet scans and it all comes up the same. Any way, I wanted to know how long it took to be able to get around after they take my right lung. If anyone can tell me I would appreciate it.
I also want to say to whhom ever that probably has cancer too, dont ever give up fight like crazy and I knoww they have a cure soon.
Love,
Tee

Comments

• murdoch
    murdoch Member Posts: 3
    Hi- My husband would be better to answer your question- but I'll give you a caregivers take on it. My husband at age 30 had his right lung removed and he is 36 yrs now. He had the most fantastic lung surgeon. The day after his lung was removed he was sitting on the side of the bed- most who had the lung surgery were out of the hospital in a week or little longer. Our surgeon was very agressive and had strict rules- I can't tell you that it was a vacation. I think what is extremely important is that there is Pulmonary Rehabilitation after your surgery.
    They should monitor your excercise and have educational classes.
    A great resource for lung cancer if you haven't already looked them up is: ALCASE- www.alcase.org
    We wish you great luck- Always be positive.
    Jill
  • imagemkr
    imagemkr Member Posts: 34
    murdoch said:

Hi- My husband would be better to answer your question- but I'll give you a caregivers take on it. My husband at age 30 had his right lung removed and he is 36 yrs now. He had the most fantastic lung surgeon. The day after his lung was removed he was sitting on the side of the bed- most who had the lung surgery were out of the hospital in a week or little longer. Our surgeon was very agressive and had strict rules- I can't tell you that it was a vacation. I think what is extremely important is that there is Pulmonary Rehabilitation after your surgery.
    They should monitor your excercise and have educational classes.
    A great resource for lung cancer if you haven't already looked them up is: ALCASE- www.alcase.org
    We wish you great luck- Always be positive.
    Jill

THANKYOU JILL THAT WAS GOOD IMFORMATION, MAY YOU AND YOUR HUSBAND HAVE MANY HAPPY YEARS.
    TEE
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Superlung
    Superlung Member Posts: 5
    I had my left lung removed 6
    I had my left lung removed 6 weeks ago. The morning after the surgery the nurses in the ICU had me up and walking around. I was released from the hospital 4 days after surgery and have been home recovering since then. The pain can be severe so I recommend doing everything in your power to manage it well. Best advice I can give is get up and keep moving. At first I could barely walk around the block but am now putting in several hour hikes. I have also found that a heating pad is now my best friend. It helps with the muscle spasms and back pain. I'll add you to my prayer list Tee. Stay strong and positive.

De
  • lekkerone
    lekkerone Member Posts: 199 Member
    Superlung said:

I had my left lung removed 6
    I had my left lung removed 6 weeks ago. The morning after the surgery the nurses in the ICU had me up and walking around. I was released from the hospital 4 days after surgery and have been home recovering since then. The pain can be severe so I recommend doing everything in your power to manage it well. Best advice I can give is get up and keep moving. At first I could barely walk around the block but am now putting in several hour hikes. I have also found that a heating pad is now my best friend. It helps with the muscle spasms and back pain. I'll add you to my prayer list Tee. Stay strong and positive.

De

Superlung
    You are making amazing progress. I had a lobectomy on Dec. 1 and can do quite a bit but I know I can't do several hour hikes. How did you get yourself in such good shape so fast? I would really like to know. I use the treadmill and rowing machine but just do 45 minutes in total. Any hints would be appreciated.
  • beatlemike
    beatlemike Member Posts: 55 Member
    Hi Tee,Your right lung is
    Hi Tee,Your right lung is made up of 3 lobes and supplies 60% of your lung function as your left is made up of 2 lobes and supplies 40%. I had my right lung removed in Aug.2005. At first just taking few steps made me very short of breath but I was surprised at how fast my remaining lung started making up for the lost one. I will never be close to doing what I did with 2 lungs but overall I get by fairly well. Im not on oxygen and never was after the surgery. I suppose it all depends on what kind of shape your remaining lung is in and if you have emphasyma or any other health issues. Take care friend and prayer said for you for a good outcome.
  • Superlung
    Superlung Member Posts: 5
    lekkerone said:

Superlung
    You are making amazing progress. I had a lobectomy on Dec. 1 and can do quite a bit but I know I can't do several hour hikes. How did you get yourself in such good shape so fast? I would really like to know. I use the treadmill and rowing machine but just do 45 minutes in total. Any hints would be appreciated.

For the past ten years I was
    For the past ten years I was misdiagnosed as having asthma. So, I was extremely limited when it came to exercise. Plus I was always sick with pneumonia and bronchitis. For some reason they never xrayed my chest. This past January I went to the doc with what I thought was the flu and it turns out I had a very severe pneumonia as well as a large tumor on my lung. The tumor was a slow growing one and my surgeon thinks it was causing me the breathing problems all along. After ten years of constant wheezing and limited breathing I finally can breathe. The moment I woke up after surgery my breathing from one lung was 100 times better than 2 lungs.

Admittedly, I had a moment after my surgery when I was not feeling like moving. I had a ton of pain and would not even make myself change my clothes. My partner let me do that for about a week then kicked me in the **** and said you need to get up and moving... and I did. I started by doing 15 minutes looking like an old lady mind you. Then 30, 45, 60, then a trip to the park to try some hills. I am trying to build a super lung with the one I have left and the only way to do that is to get moving.

While walking is good I am still have some major limitations with my left arm. I am getting some terrible frozen shoulder from time to time that leaves me in pain and without movement. But, I am going to see a PT about that tomorrow and hopefully get some exercises to help with the movement.

How are you rowing already? Was that recommend to you for physical therapy? That's pretty amazing.

Keep moving and you'll be great!!! Best of luck!

De
  • lekkerone
    lekkerone Member Posts: 199 Member
    Superlung said:

For the past ten years I was
    For the past ten years I was misdiagnosed as having asthma. So, I was extremely limited when it came to exercise. Plus I was always sick with pneumonia and bronchitis. For some reason they never xrayed my chest. This past January I went to the doc with what I thought was the flu and it turns out I had a very severe pneumonia as well as a large tumor on my lung. The tumor was a slow growing one and my surgeon thinks it was causing me the breathing problems all along. After ten years of constant wheezing and limited breathing I finally can breathe. The moment I woke up after surgery my breathing from one lung was 100 times better than 2 lungs.

Admittedly, I had a moment after my surgery when I was not feeling like moving. I had a ton of pain and would not even make myself change my clothes. My partner let me do that for about a week then kicked me in the **** and said you need to get up and moving... and I did. I started by doing 15 minutes looking like an old lady mind you. Then 30, 45, 60, then a trip to the park to try some hills. I am trying to build a super lung with the one I have left and the only way to do that is to get moving.

While walking is good I am still have some major limitations with my left arm. I am getting some terrible frozen shoulder from time to time that leaves me in pain and without movement. But, I am going to see a PT about that tomorrow and hopefully get some exercises to help with the movement.

How are you rowing already? Was that recommend to you for physical therapy? That's pretty amazing.

Keep moving and you'll be great!!! Best of luck!

De

Thanks Superlung
    I got bored on the treadmill and also I realized my arms were becoming incredibly weak so I decided to do the rowing machine which I used to like a lot. I don't do the long walks like you do nor have I tackled hills. I do about 45 minutes between the treadmill and the rowing machine and about 20 minutes of the weight machines. I am totally impressed with what you are doing. Keep it up!! I plan to and I am a 74 year old female who isn't about to take up knitting yet.