people making light of cancer

While i myself have not lot anyone to cancer (yet, and hopefully it will remain this way). There are two people i've come across who are making light of this disease.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=question&id=1533818919938&qa_ref=nac&post_id=1541371508748&notif_t=like

Renel: "meant the link was in reference to that. unless daniel fry posts back my point has been made. enjoy cancer, alex!"

Heather: "What kind of jerk rants against people judging others, and then wishes cancer on someone else?"

Renel: "i didn't wish cancer upon anyone, i told him to have fun with it. it's a difference we learned in middle school"

Alex: "dude, it was obviously implied and at this point youre just digging yourself deeper into this hole.

and its still incredibly rude to tell someone to enjoy cancer. like thats just insanely insensitive to the millions of people worldwide with this fatal disease"

then later

Tanner: "I wish YOU would enjoy cancer, so maybe then you'd be a little happier...."

Am I the only one who finds this incredible insensitive? Id like if anyone else would have something to say to these rude individuals

Comments

• 3Mana
    3Mana Member Posts: 811
    Not meant that way
    Alex,
    I think maybe they meant, that there's nothing you can do if you have cancer, so might as well have fun & live a day at a time. Better than sitting and feeling sorry for yourself I guess. Anyhow, I think that's how I understood it. Carole
  • Alex89
    Alex89 Member Posts: 2
    3Mana said:

Not meant that way
    Alex,
    I think maybe they meant, that there's nothing you can do if you have cancer, so might as well have fun & live a day at a time. Better than sitting and feeling sorry for yourself I guess. Anyhow, I think that's how I understood it. Carole

I dont believe that "enjoy
    I dont believe that "enjoy cancer" would mean any of that actually
  • LaundryQueen
    LaundryQueen Member Posts: 676
    Alex89 said:

I dont believe that "enjoy
    I dont believe that "enjoy cancer" would mean any of that actually

It's a choice
    I found this post so interesting. Thanks for sharing this.

While I would never tell someone else to "enjoy cancer," I will admit that there have been parts of the experience that I have enjoyed--if you can believe that.

Of course there were times when the pain or nausea medicine didn't work or I was so sick I couldn't drive or I was scared that I was having a bowel obstruction--didn't enjoy that.

On the other hand, I was blessed to be cared for by my family (including my 82-year old dad)and I can say that I enjoyed being with them even though the circumstances were not the best. I like to think that you have a choice whether to laugh or cry about your situation--and both expressions are valid. Sometimes, I laugh and sometimes I cry.

I think people (those who aren't in the club) who make light of cancer cannot deal with the situation so they HAVE to make light of it. They aren't emotionally strong enough to be there for you. Maybe you could "un-friend" the rude ones from FaceBook and only keep people who were supportive.

I had a sister who just kept telling me how great I looked even though I felt awful. That was all she could deal with at the time...sigh.
  • Noellesmom
    Noellesmom Member Posts: 1,859 Member

It's a choice

While I would never tell someone else to "enjoy cancer," I will admit that there have been parts of the experience that I have enjoyed--if you can believe that.

Of course there were times when the pain or nausea medicine didn't work or I was so sick I couldn't drive or I was scared that I was having a bowel obstruction--didn't enjoy that.

On the other hand, I was blessed to be cared for by my family (including my 82-year old dad)and I can say that I enjoyed being with them even though the circumstances were not the best. I like to think that you have a choice whether to laugh or cry about your situation--and both expressions are valid. Sometimes, I laugh and sometimes I cry.

I think people (those who aren't in the club) who make light of cancer cannot deal with the situation so they HAVE to make light of it. They aren't emotionally strong enough to be there for you. Maybe you could "un-friend" the rude ones from FaceBook and only keep people who were supportive.

I had a sister who just kept telling me how great I looked even though I felt awful. That was all she could deal with at the time...sigh.

mixed feelings about comment
    While I shudder to think of myself actually telling anyone to "enjoy cancer", it certainly can be a life-changing experience and maybe for some people it turns out to be a positive. I can appreciate LaundryQueen's perspective although she should know that I should rightfully have that title :)

A brochure from the Cancer Institute where my husband has treatments had these words which I find to be very true: the worst thing in your life may contain seeds of the best.

Trying to keep things in that perspective has helped.
  • Noellesmom
    Noellesmom Member Posts: 1,859 Member

It's a choice

mixed feelings about comment
    While I shudder to think of myself actually telling anyone to "enjoy cancer", it certainly can be a life-changing experience and maybe for some people it turns out to be a positive. I can appreciate LaundryQueen's perspective although she should know that I should rightfully have that title :)

A brochure from the Cancer Institute where my husband has treatments had these words which I find to be very true: the worst thing in your life may contain seeds of the best.

Trying to keep things in that perspective has helped.