My hair

plh4gail
plh4gail Member Posts: 1,238 Member
First I hate asking something like this when it is such a very sad time here. I sure would love to hear Kerry's answer. He is so fun and loving also. I could use his sense of humor now. ....... So I have a question. How do you shave your head? What is the best way. I feel funny asking this. It's just that I've never had to do it and I think it's coming soon. My hair is now really thinning and I don't know if I'm supposed to go to my salon, get out a razor for my legs, buy one of those that cuts it close with short stubbles....?? I went through 6 treatments of folfox and it only thinned some that was tolerable. Then my Dr changed me to folfiri and it began to fall. Handfulls with the hairwash, brushfulls, fingerfulls, ...there are thinning spots....so I think it's almost time to let the pride go. It's just that I only have 3 treatments left, about 7 weeks. I think it's not right I made it through 9 months of treatments and in the last month and a half I'm beginning to look like I need a bigtime combover. No offense if anyone chooses this style, I've just never been there....till now.

So please, what is the best way to do this?

Okay....that's it, thank you, Gail

Comments

• TMac52
    TMac52 Member Posts: 352
    Poor Gail :(
    Do you have Buzzers?? If not you can buy a cheap one at your pharmacy. Buzz it then use the razor. Have two boys and have been buzzing there heads since they were little.
    Good luck.
    Tom
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    TMac52 said:

Poor Gail :(
    Do you have Buzzers?? If not you can buy a cheap one at your pharmacy. Buzz it then use the razor. Have two boys and have been buzzing there heads since they were little.
    Good luck.
    Tom

I have clippers but really
    I have clippers but really do you have to buzz it all off? I will text you after my scan. Hugs!,,
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Hi Gail
    I don't think there is one right way to do it. Some seem to do it themselves, others go to a salon. I just had my daughter cut mine really short, + lo + behold, when she did, we saw new growth starting. That cheered me up. I have to say that some of the most striking women at my cancer centre seem to the ones who have little or no hair. My hair is still growing, it is quite shot. I started on my new regimen ~ 1 month ago + noticed more thinning.
  • idlehunters
    idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
    AnneCan said:

Hi Gail
    I don't think there is one right way to do it. Some seem to do it themselves, others go to a salon. I just had my daughter cut mine really short, + lo + behold, when she did, we saw new growth starting. That cheered me up. I have to say that some of the most striking women at my cancer centre seem to the ones who have little or no hair. My hair is still growing, it is quite shot. I started on my new regimen ~ 1 month ago + noticed more thinning.

Hey Gail
    My first round of Folfiri... I just thinned... After 2 doses of my second round.... it all fell out. I cut it real short and put on a wig....the rest fell out on its own till I was bald. After having real long hair my entire life.... this is a HUGE change. I never seen my scalp before...uhhh, it was ugly...brown streaks on it that I had no idea even existed!! My eyebrows and lashes were gone too. I have never felt more like a cancer patient. After several days of crying and feeling sorry for myself I said "Hey, wait a minute...since when have you EVER settled for ugly?" I went to a beauty supply and got a few different wigs,,,different colors..styles... One of my hats I put velcro in and just bought a "halo" of hair and velcro'd it in...that was REAL comfy and since it was not a FULL wig it was much cooler. I bought eyebrow stencils cause when I tried to draw them on I looked like a clown. I went to a beauty shop and had lashes put on...they do sets or individual lashes. I felt like a beauty queen....HA..Take that cancer!!!! At this time, I am no longer on Folfiri and my hair has grown out about 3 inches. I am waiting for 1 more inch and then I am having extensions put on. They are expensive but I miss my long hair!!! That is my Mothers Day gift to me....and then I am leaving Mothers Day and going to the Dominican Republic for a week!!!! Gotta show off my hair!!!! You can use all this fake stuff to keep you as purdy as you are now...and remember...its only temporary! You take care.

Jennie
  • AnneCan said:

Hi Gail

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • plh4gail

Hey Gail
    My first round of Folfiri... I just thinned... After 2 doses of my second round.... it all fell out. I cut it real short and put on a wig....the rest fell out on its own till I was bald. After having real long hair my entire life.... this is a HUGE change. I never seen my scalp before...uhhh, it was ugly...brown streaks on it that I had no idea even existed!! My eyebrows and lashes were gone too. I have never felt more like a cancer patient. After several days of crying and feeling sorry for myself I said "Hey, wait a minute...since when have you EVER settled for ugly?" I went to a beauty supply and got a few different wigs,,,different colors..styles... One of my hats I put velcro in and just bought a "halo" of hair and velcro'd it in...that was REAL comfy and since it was not a FULL wig it was much cooler. I bought eyebrow stencils cause when I tried to draw them on I looked like a clown. I went to a beauty shop and had lashes put on...they do sets or individual lashes. I felt like a beauty queen....HA..Take that cancer!!!! At this time, I am no longer on Folfiri and my hair has grown out about 3 inches. I am waiting for 1 more inch and then I am having extensions put on. They are expensive but I miss my long hair!!! That is my Mothers Day gift to me....and then I am leaving Mothers Day and going to the Dominican Republic for a week!!!! Gotta show off my hair!!!! You can use all this fake stuff to keep you as purdy as you are now...and remember...its only temporary! You take care.

Jennie

Jennie and everyone
    Hi Jennie, by two rounds do you mean two intirely different treatments? or is two rounds the second month into the chemo?....I'm sorry I get a little confused as I hear people refer to it differently. I've had 3 infusions of folfiri and get my 4th next Tuesday. This after 6 of folfox before my onc switched me. ....Thank you for all of your thoughts and words. It really means a lot. I am just very thin now and especially in the front. I stopped by the CTC just now and spoke with the nurse and she thinks it will all come out or thin beyond my comfort without a doubt. It's the stress of seeing it in my fingers and on my clothes and in the lint tray in the dryer and in the hood on my jacket and knowing I need to put my hair in a pony tail and hat to cook. This is what upsets and stresses me so. Seeing it right in front of me. I'm not going to cut it today (at least I don't think at this moment...lol) but I have a VERY STRONG feeling it's not going to be long.

Thanks so much, Gail
  • plh4gail
    Thank you dear friends for
    Thank you dear friends for the support and info. I know it's only my hair but dang it! I hate that this is so stressful but seeing it wrapped in my fingers and in the drain and brush, clothes..lint tray..etc......I think is what is making it worse for me and I'm just about there with the cutting. I can almost feel it's going to happen and soon but today I'm going to wear a hat....again. I talked to the nurse at CTC and she too thinks it's either going to all come out or get very thin. She was soo nice and supportive and gave me ideas. So now I know it's not my imagination I showed 3 people this morning and all said yep they see what I see. I hate that hair can do this to me but I think it's what kept people telling me I looked good all this time.

Love you all, Gail
  • idlehunters
    idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
    plh4gail said:

Thank you dear friends for the support and info. I know it's only my hair but dang it! I hate that this is so stressful but seeing it wrapped in my fingers and in the drain and brush, clothes..lint tray..etc......I think is what is making it worse for me and I'm just about there with the cutting. I can almost feel it's going to happen and soon but today I'm going to wear a hat....again. I talked to the nurse at CTC and she too thinks it's either going to all come out or get very thin. She was soo nice and supportive and gave me ideas. So now I know it's not my imagination I showed 3 people this morning and all said yep they see what I see. I hate that hair can do this to me but I think it's what kept people telling me I looked good all this time.

Love you all, Gail

Hey Gail
    By 2 rounds I mean the first round lasted 6 months getting an infusion bi-weekly. the second round was only 2 treatments. BTW.... I think you are a real purdy gal with or without hair...your smile makes you glow!

Jennie
  • plh4gail

Hey Gail
    By 2 rounds I mean the first round lasted 6 months getting an infusion bi-weekly. the second round was only 2 treatments. BTW.... I think you are a real purdy gal with or without hair...your smile makes you glow!

Jennie

Jennie....you lovely lady....
    Wow....how strange is this chemo stuff....it left your hair for the first round with 12 treatments and then just bam took it with the next 2.

Ok off to put my baseball cap on and head to the dentist...lol...tomorrow I'm shopping with my wonderful daughter Tara and I think I will wear these cute new summer high heels with my cap...lol....ahh life

Gail
  • Buckwirth
    Buckwirth Member Posts: 1,258 Member

Hey Gail

Jennie

I second that
    Though I would say you are stunningly beautiful!

Bald will be a temporary experience, have fun with it! Wigs, hats, scarves, heck, go and get a henna tattoo!

And go to the parlor. You can do it yourself, but they will do a better job, and can give you some tips on how to maintain it.

Regardless, stunning is stunning, with or without hair!

Blake
  • SisterSledge
    SisterSledge Member Posts: 332 Member
    plh4gail said:

Love you all, Gail

tough subject
    I have long hair and the thought of losing it makes me shudder...but at the same time, I've had long hair all my life and kinda looked forward to the novelty of short hair or baldness. I've admired the beauty of many women who wear their hair very short. However, they're saying I likely won't lose my hair from the chemo I'm taking and I wouldn't ever shave my head on a lark so if it doesn't come out on it's own it's not gonna happen. Looking at your pic, I'd guess you're going to look like a goddess without your hair.
    Janine
  • pscott1
    pscott1 Member Posts: 207 Member
    I agree Gail....I think you
    I agree Gail....I think you are a beautiful woman and it wouldn't matter to me if I had hair or not if I looked like you. I too fear the thinning of the hair going to baldness (I don't think combover would be my look either)! I have only had my first treatment of Folfox and 5 1/2 months to go....I'll let you know what happens with me. My Onc says it will fall out but from what I read on the board, the consensus is thinning. (I opt for the later and with an emphasis on "very little" thinning)! :)

Pam
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    plh4gail said:

Love you all, Gail

dear Gail
    Hi sweet Gail,

Sorry about the hair! Hair is just hair but, especially as women, our hair gives us confidence and makes us feel naked if it's not there. You will get through this & it will make you tougher when you come through it! At least it is temporary.
    If mine all fell out, I'd really be in for it because I'm on the forever chemo plan. It's thinned, but not come out totally. I had hoped that would be the case for you, but it is what it is! As so many others have said, you have such a pretty face and nice figure that you will still be stunning!

You hang in there, girl!

Hugs,
    Lisa
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    pscott1 said:

I agree Gail....I think you
    I agree Gail....I think you are a beautiful woman and it wouldn't matter to me if I had hair or not if I looked like you. I too fear the thinning of the hair going to baldness (I don't think combover would be my look either)! I have only had my first treatment of Folfox and 5 1/2 months to go....I'll let you know what happens with me. My Onc says it will fall out but from what I read on the board, the consensus is thinning. (I opt for the later and with an emphasis on "very little" thinning)! :)

Pam

Gail, we do need to get
    Gail, we do need to get together soon!!
  • plh4gail
    I sobbed then I smiled
    You guys are definitely hired for my cheer team! I talked (and cried) with my hairdresser today and when she started trying to show me how I can fix it by holding it up and teasing it to make it bigger and it only showed me how thin it actually is on top I started sobbing and said stopstopstopstop just give me my hat I want my hat....now I smile as I write my experience. Poor girl was in tears. I'm going to wait it out as long as I can but I have a feeling if I have another day like yesterday....that will be the deal breaker.

Love you all and thank you for the kind words....I did need it very much. I think what is actually so hard for me is all along I heard "you look so good" and I think it's because I had my hair. If you have hair like normal..then it's just you. But when there is no hair when there ought to be, that's when we look like the chemo cancer patient. I made it this whole time and to think at the end I'm going to get the looks and comments, even from my friends that don't know, now they will. And without me telling them. ........OH WELL!!! :)

Huggin you, Gail
  • ketziah35
    ketziah35 Member Posts: 1,145
    plh4gail said:

I sobbed then I smiled
    You guys are definitely hired for my cheer team! I talked (and cried) with my hairdresser today and when she started trying to show me how I can fix it by holding it up and teasing it to make it bigger and it only showed me how thin it actually is on top I started sobbing and said stopstopstopstop just give me my hat I want my hat....now I smile as I write my experience. Poor girl was in tears. I'm going to wait it out as long as I can but I have a feeling if I have another day like yesterday....that will be the deal breaker.

Love you all and thank you for the kind words....I did need it very much. I think what is actually so hard for me is all along I heard "you look so good" and I think it's because I had my hair. If you have hair like normal..then it's just you. But when there is no hair when there ought to be, that's when we look like the chemo cancer patient. I made it this whole time and to think at the end I'm going to get the looks and comments, even from my friends that don't know, now they will. And without me telling them. ........OH WELL!!! :)

Huggin you, Gail

My mom went to my dad's
    My mom went to my dad's barber. Check out a song by India Arie- I am not My hair" I think having no hair shows the beauty in one's face. It shows the eyes and the cheekbones. Check out that song. It is simply girl power. I usually follow it up with Shania's "Feel Like a Woman".Go ahead and listen to that one.
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    ketziah35 said:

My mom went to my dad's
    My mom went to my dad's barber. Check out a song by India Arie- I am not My hair" I think having no hair shows the beauty in one's face. It shows the eyes and the cheekbones. Check out that song. It is simply girl power. I usually follow it up with Shania's "Feel Like a Woman".Go ahead and listen to that one.

Gail...................
    You already know how I feel about the hair, we've have already been there.. :) Love to you sweetheart, I know its a pain but as they say its temporary...Love to you....buzz
  • pscott1
    pscott1 Member Posts: 207 Member
    plh4gail said:

I sobbed then I smiled

Huggin you, Gail

Gail, Honestly....being over
    Gail, Honestly....being over 50 myself, I have to tell you the key word in your whole comment above "OH WELL" is the attitude you should stick with. I also adore my hair and I don't care how thin it gets, I'm not shaving it or cutting it real short. You are so close to being done with treatments, I say ride it out with hats!

Whatever you decide, let it be YOUR decision and one that you're comfortable with!

Love,

Pam
  • jjaj133
    jjaj133 Member Posts: 867 Member
    Hi Gail, I agree with
    Hi Gail, I agree with everyone else, you are so lovely you could put a mop on your head and still turn heads!!
    But I get it. The first question I asked, was not am i going to die. It was, "am I going to lose my Hair!!!???"
    I didn't, it just got thinner. I was on oxi, zeloda, 5fu, avastan (?) and lord know what else.
    So maybe you ought to hang in there?
    Sending prayers, Judy
  • plh4gail
    pscott1 said:

Gail, Honestly....being over
    Gail, Honestly....being over 50 myself, I have to tell you the key word in your whole comment above "OH WELL" is the attitude you should stick with. I also adore my hair and I don't care how thin it gets, I'm not shaving it or cutting it real short. You are so close to being done with treatments, I say ride it out with hats!

Whatever you decide, let it be YOUR decision and one that you're comfortable with!

Love,

Pam

Pam :)
    Thank you Pam :) not sure if you saw my other picture, but I dedided on a cut for now. It's much much shorter and I am very happy with it. Not sure what next week will bring but I'll get to that later. lol

Mostly, rather than the idea of losing hair, the stress comes when I see it coming out....well honestly....its looking at the baldish spot too...LOL....whatever...it is what it is and I'm happy to be alive!

Hugs, Gail