Had first (strange) dream about husband

Last night I had a strange, fleeting dream involving my husband. I think we were trying to take his body back to Germany. In the dream, he told me he needed something to take the edge off of the flight. He asked me to call a doctor and ask for something for him. (He and I were always nervous flyers.) In the dream, I remember thinking … but, you’re dead. I looked at him and told him that I would ask the doctor. He never answered me. Then the dream ended. This was my first dream about my husband since he passed. It was kind of disturbing. I was hoping for a long dream where the two of us are together and happy. I really miss that wonderful man!

Comments

• 3Mana
    3Mana Member Posts: 811
    Dreams
    Hey Stargzr,
    That was a weird dream. I had been waiting to have dreams about my hubby, Tom, and finally when I had one it was also weird. Woke me up and I was sweating!! Would love to have one where we are on a Carribbean beach where we used to go every spring!!!
    Hope one day, we have a pleasant one, huh? Carole
  • Pennymac02
    Pennymac02 Member Posts: 332 Member
    Weird Dreams
    Hello Stargzr,
    The only dreams I've had of Mike have been weird. I've had a couple where he's walked thru the door and announced that he wasn't dead, he was just in hiding. In my dream I feel dismayed at his announcement, because I think to myself, "Oh crap. I've got to get on that care giving treadmill again." then I wake up. They are very guilt inducing.

I did have a very strange experience the other day, tho. I was home alone after work, and was looking up at our wedding photo on the wall.I could have sworn I saw something out of the corner of my eye, and I'm sure I felt a brief, slight touch on my ring finger just where my wedding ring sits. I'm not what that was or why it happened, but it definitely was very strange. Anyone else?
    Penny
  • debbieg5
    debbieg5 Member Posts: 167
    dreams
    OK...I hadn't said anything because I figured everyone else here was having these lovely dreams about their dead husbands. I dream a lot so I figured that Ken would show up in my dreams. I have had 3 dreams of him so far and in each one we are arguing. In each dream, the arguments got progressively more intense. In one of them we were trying to rearrange bedroom furniture because we were setting up a special bed for him. He was wanting to put the bed in a stupid place and me and his 2 grown daughters were trying to tell him it didn't make sense. Anyway, it seems that all my frustrations at him and the situation were coming out in the dreams. I guess those dream interpreters would have a blast with some of ours.
    debbie
  • lilli1020
    lilli1020 Member Posts: 114

Weird Dreams
    Hello Stargzr,
    The only dreams I've had of Mike have been weird. I've had a couple where he's walked thru the door and announced that he wasn't dead, he was just in hiding. In my dream I feel dismayed at his announcement, because I think to myself, "Oh crap. I've got to get on that care giving treadmill again." then I wake up. They are very guilt inducing.

I did have a very strange experience the other day, tho. I was home alone after work, and was looking up at our wedding photo on the wall.I could have sworn I saw something out of the corner of my eye, and I'm sure I felt a brief, slight touch on my ring finger just where my wedding ring sits. I'm not what that was or why it happened, but it definitely was very strange. Anyone else?
    Penny

Strange experience...
    I havent dreamed about Doug, but my adult daughter and her fiancee live here with me in the house. The hall floorboards squeak as you walk near the office in the middle, has for years. Lately, they have been creaking and no one is in the hall. Not any of the dogs and no one else. My daughter usually gets freaked out about a lot of stuff, but not this. She has heard it several times and just thinks it is her Dad and is not worried about it. Doesn't bother me either, it's just weird!

Gayle
  • 3Mana

Weird Dreams
    Hello Stargzr,

Penny

Touch
    Penny,
    Wow, if you felt a slight touch on your ring finger, I think that's neat. I'd give anything if I felt Tom's touch again. I miss his back massages so much! Wish I'd feel him crawl in next to me in bed, that would make my day. Putting on socks in bed just isn't the same thing as a "body"!
    Let's just keep dreaming, huh? Take care. Carole
  • mswijiknyc
    mswijiknyc Member Posts: 421

Weird Dreams
    Hello Stargzr,

Penny

no dreams, other things
    I remember not long after Pat's service, I walked in the house and I smelled Pat, the smell right before he died. Kinda irritated me that he couldn't have let me smell his Grey Flannel cologne instead of that. Also had a few weird sounds around the house, and Shadow (daddy's cat) is just off his rocker. Really off his rocker, more so than usual.

I also remember turning off the air conditioning fan, then the next time I turned it on it was set to A/C 73 degrees, what we had it on all summer.

This doesn't really bother me as Pat isn't going to leave me alone anytime soon and he and I both knew it.

I'm hoping for a dream or a glimpse of him out of the corner of my eye. No matter how he comes, just to see him again would be nice.
  • luz del lago
    luz del lago Member Posts: 449
    debbieg5 said:

dreams
    OK...I hadn't said anything because I figured everyone else here was having these lovely dreams about their dead husbands. I dream a lot so I figured that Ken would show up in my dreams. I have had 3 dreams of him so far and in each one we are arguing. In each dream, the arguments got progressively more intense. In one of them we were trying to rearrange bedroom furniture because we were setting up a special bed for him. He was wanting to put the bed in a stupid place and me and his 2 grown daughters were trying to tell him it didn't make sense. Anyway, it seems that all my frustrations at him and the situation were coming out in the dreams. I guess those dream interpreters would have a blast with some of ours.
    debbie

Same here...
    The first dream I had about Dennis after he passed was pleasant. We were in a foreign country, listening to a guitarist, enjoying a beer on a balcony. Each time I would set me beer down on the balcony rail, a ring of fire would begin to burn under the can of beer! I would lift it up and blow the fire ring out, but as soon as I placed it back down, it would catch again! As we stood there, he had his arm around my waist, and I could feel our love and comfort with each other. Watching out unto the street, an elderly man that was selling birds, beautiful birds, was crying loudly and upset and telling all that would listen that his birds were dying. And yes, there, upon a brick wall lay several birds that were dead. My heart went out to him. All of a sudden, a beautiful turquoise horse ran through the street!

I have had but two more dreams of my love since then, and in both, I am very hurt and angry at him! One, he has come back to life. All our family is there, and simply over-joyed at this. I am happy, but all I can think of is how amazing God is! We cremated my love, and it was miraculous to me how the Lord was able to "put him back together"! Throughout the dream I get close to him, I talk to him, but he won't speak to me! He speaks some to the others, as they are telling him that he has come back. He appears a bit weak and dazed. He is starving and eats, which I am glad for. I also begin to think and question, to myself, is he still ill, does he still have cancer, will he die again? And still, he does not speak to me, which angers and hurts me terribly!

The last dream involves friends and a party or gathering. We are there, I am ready to leave as I am upset with him since he has managed to spend the whole time away from me. We even argue! So hurt and frustrated!

I keep a "dream" journal on my nightstand and write me dreams down as soon as I wake up. Of course, some, even I can't remember clearly enough to write them down. But these, I did. My dear therapist and I discussed them. I am still angry at Dennis for having been in such denial that he allowed precious time to be lost. I am angry at him for not taking the time to express many things to me before he passed. Angry because he just left me hanging! No good bye, no I'm sorry you will be left alone. No, be happy, go on living, I'll be watching over you...

I know that little by little I am forgiving him for that, but darn those dreams! They seem to dig up the past hurts and open the wounds up again. Another phase of the grieving process, I suppose.

Signs? Sensing his presence? Three days after he passed, I stepped outside. We had been under gloomy skies and cold days, but this one day, the sun shone bright, blue skies and warm. I closed my eyes and faced the sun to get some warmth when two green dots flashed repeatedly. They seemed to draw near then move away for several moments. I opened my eyes and they were still there. Closed them again, and little by little an image began to form. It was Dennis' face. He appeared as he looked before cancer, but his eyes were closed. I opened my eyes, I closed them, I rubbed them, but his image remained. I whispered, is that you, my love? No sound or voice, but I heard his voice in my mind saying, yes. Dennis' eyes were the most beautiful green. Please don't think I'm crazy, but when he had breathed his last breath, and I was left alone with him, I gently lifted his eyelid so that I could see his beautiful green eyes one more time.

Whenever I close my eyes now, I still see his image. It is clearer in the daylight, and if I have been crying and grieving, it is more difficult to make out. My sister says that it is the sorrow that blocks it. I tend to believe what she says may be true, as his image is much clearer when I have succeeded in accomplishing something, or I am happy with the kids and my granddaughter. I have even seen the image with my eyes open, now, as time has passed. I can look at the wall and see it, not on the wall, but in my eyes.

So, is my grief and sorrow so deep that I am "imagining" this image? Am I clinging so hard to him that my mind has produced this image? Or has he come to stay and be with me until I am better? I have even begun to wonder, maybe even fear, that if I get better, this image will disappear.

I feel that dreams are sometimes about the fears, angers or disappointments in my life that for some reason I have not been able to have closure on. Not been able to forgive, not been able to get over.

I continue to wish and pray for some kind of "contact" from him. Something that my "human-ness" will comprehend as it being him. Some days I think I am asking for too much, others I think, why not, God can do anything!

You know my therapist earns her salary!!

Lucy
  • hope0310
    hope0310 Member Posts: 320

Same here...
    The first dream I had about Dennis after he passed was pleasant. We were in a foreign country, listening to a guitarist, enjoying a beer on a balcony. Each time I would set me beer down on the balcony rail, a ring of fire would begin to burn under the can of beer! I would lift it up and blow the fire ring out, but as soon as I placed it back down, it would catch again! As we stood there, he had his arm around my waist, and I could feel our love and comfort with each other. Watching out unto the street, an elderly man that was selling birds, beautiful birds, was crying loudly and upset and telling all that would listen that his birds were dying. And yes, there, upon a brick wall lay several birds that were dead. My heart went out to him. All of a sudden, a beautiful turquoise horse ran through the street!

I have had but two more dreams of my love since then, and in both, I am very hurt and angry at him! One, he has come back to life. All our family is there, and simply over-joyed at this. I am happy, but all I can think of is how amazing God is! We cremated my love, and it was miraculous to me how the Lord was able to "put him back together"! Throughout the dream I get close to him, I talk to him, but he won't speak to me! He speaks some to the others, as they are telling him that he has come back. He appears a bit weak and dazed. He is starving and eats, which I am glad for. I also begin to think and question, to myself, is he still ill, does he still have cancer, will he die again? And still, he does not speak to me, which angers and hurts me terribly!

The last dream involves friends and a party or gathering. We are there, I am ready to leave as I am upset with him since he has managed to spend the whole time away from me. We even argue! So hurt and frustrated!

I keep a "dream" journal on my nightstand and write me dreams down as soon as I wake up. Of course, some, even I can't remember clearly enough to write them down. But these, I did. My dear therapist and I discussed them. I am still angry at Dennis for having been in such denial that he allowed precious time to be lost. I am angry at him for not taking the time to express many things to me before he passed. Angry because he just left me hanging! No good bye, no I'm sorry you will be left alone. No, be happy, go on living, I'll be watching over you...

I know that little by little I am forgiving him for that, but darn those dreams! They seem to dig up the past hurts and open the wounds up again. Another phase of the grieving process, I suppose.

Signs? Sensing his presence? Three days after he passed, I stepped outside. We had been under gloomy skies and cold days, but this one day, the sun shone bright, blue skies and warm. I closed my eyes and faced the sun to get some warmth when two green dots flashed repeatedly. They seemed to draw near then move away for several moments. I opened my eyes and they were still there. Closed them again, and little by little an image began to form. It was Dennis' face. He appeared as he looked before cancer, but his eyes were closed. I opened my eyes, I closed them, I rubbed them, but his image remained. I whispered, is that you, my love? No sound or voice, but I heard his voice in my mind saying, yes. Dennis' eyes were the most beautiful green. Please don't think I'm crazy, but when he had breathed his last breath, and I was left alone with him, I gently lifted his eyelid so that I could see his beautiful green eyes one more time.

Whenever I close my eyes now, I still see his image. It is clearer in the daylight, and if I have been crying and grieving, it is more difficult to make out. My sister says that it is the sorrow that blocks it. I tend to believe what she says may be true, as his image is much clearer when I have succeeded in accomplishing something, or I am happy with the kids and my granddaughter. I have even seen the image with my eyes open, now, as time has passed. I can look at the wall and see it, not on the wall, but in my eyes.

So, is my grief and sorrow so deep that I am "imagining" this image? Am I clinging so hard to him that my mind has produced this image? Or has he come to stay and be with me until I am better? I have even begun to wonder, maybe even fear, that if I get better, this image will disappear.

I feel that dreams are sometimes about the fears, angers or disappointments in my life that for some reason I have not been able to have closure on. Not been able to forgive, not been able to get over.

I continue to wish and pray for some kind of "contact" from him. Something that my "human-ness" will comprehend as it being him. Some days I think I am asking for too much, others I think, why not, God can do anything!

You know my therapist earns her salary!!

Lucy

Never been much
    of a dreamer...or at least never remember them.

I have not dreamt of mom at all....and it really, really bothers me that I don't. Weird...
  • mswijiknyc
    hope0310 said:

Never been much

I have not dreamt of mom at all....and it really, really bothers me that I don't. Weird...

Same here
    Although I have been having weird dreams of late, just none with Pat in them.
  • 3Mana

Same here
    Although I have been having weird dreams of late, just none with Pat in them.

Our time will come
    April,
    I have had a few I think but hard to remember. I remember when my mom died I would always see an image of her face on a pillow in the bedroom at night. Haven't seen Tom yet, and wishing that I would. Last nite though I woke up and had to go to the bathroom (TMI) and when I walked into the bathroom, the water was running slow and I know I turned it off. It was the hot water too, so don't know how much went down the drain!!!
    Today it's really gloomy out and had a good storm before with pea size hail. Most exciting thing of the day, whoopee! Sure wish it would warm up cause it's only 42 out. Last year we had a great spring, but this year is starting out cold!!!!!! I'm sick of cold weather and just want to be able to go out without a jacket & sit in the sun! How bout you what's happening where you live? Carole
  • skipper85
    skipper85 Member Posts: 229
    Angry Dreams

Well it's good to know I'm not the only one who has angry dreams. I've had two dreams about Paul. Both times I woke up livid. The last one he had arranged everything in the freezer and had thrown out all the bread. So I punched him in the stomach (I guess they call that the bread basket but who knows if that's just a coincidence). In my dream Paul looked like he did before the cancer. I can't remember the other dream. I've also had angry dreams about my Mom (beating her up) and my sister (still living). I love my Mom and I never even argue with her. The dreams are just crazy. I've been told that because I try and keep busy during the day my mind processes the grieving at night. I guess I'm in the angry phase right now. I don't feel angry when I'm awake though.

Today was not a good day. I went to Hallmark to look for a birthday card for my son. All I could think about was that Paul wouldn't be signing it and my son is going to notice that and be upset (which of course upset me). I wanted to get out of that store as fast as I could. It's just been one of those sad, painful days. When do they stop?

Skipper
  • luz del lago
    luz del lago Member Posts: 449
    skipper85 said:

Angry Dreams

Well it's good to know I'm not the only one who has angry dreams. I've had two dreams about Paul. Both times I woke up livid. The last one he had arranged everything in the freezer and had thrown out all the bread. So I punched him in the stomach (I guess they call that the bread basket but who knows if that's just a coincidence). In my dream Paul looked like he did before the cancer. I can't remember the other dream. I've also had angry dreams about my Mom (beating her up) and my sister (still living). I love my Mom and I never even argue with her. The dreams are just crazy. I've been told that because I try and keep busy during the day my mind processes the grieving at night. I guess I'm in the angry phase right now. I don't feel angry when I'm awake though.

Today was not a good day. I went to Hallmark to look for a birthday card for my son. All I could think about was that Paul wouldn't be signing it and my son is going to notice that and be upset (which of course upset me). I wanted to get out of that store as fast as I could. It's just been one of those sad, painful days. When do they stop?

Skipper

Skipper
    For over 28 years I selected birthday cards for both our children, from the both of us. Last week I had to not look at those, but instead select one that was from "me". I agree, it was very difficult. It was my son's 29th birthday and I know it was very sad for him also.

Don't know when these moments will stop. I think that with time, they will hurt less, but I don't think that the "missing" part will ever be over. Sometimes I think, ok, I get it. This happened and I was to learn from it. I learned how to be a caregiver, how to put someone's needs above mine. I got closer to my Lord. I asked for strength and received it. I have survived thus far. If there was a lesson in this, have I not learned it yet?

Sorry, dear ones, you know me, most times I really try to be positive, but there are those times...

Have a good evening all,

Lucy
  • mswijiknyc
    3Mana said:

Our time will come
    April,
    I have had a few I think but hard to remember. I remember when my mom died I would always see an image of her face on a pillow in the bedroom at night. Haven't seen Tom yet, and wishing that I would. Last nite though I woke up and had to go to the bathroom (TMI) and when I walked into the bathroom, the water was running slow and I know I turned it off. It was the hot water too, so don't know how much went down the drain!!!
    Today it's really gloomy out and had a good storm before with pea size hail. Most exciting thing of the day, whoopee! Sure wish it would warm up cause it's only 42 out. Last year we had a great spring, but this year is starting out cold!!!!!! I'm sick of cold weather and just want to be able to go out without a jacket & sit in the sun! How bout you what's happening where you live? Carole

Hope so
    Not much been doing here. All my days have been running together. Right now I'm tired but I'm not ready for bed just yet. When something actually interesting happens I'll let you know :)

Been cold and off and on rainy too. Looking forward to warmer weather!

Loves,
    April
  • Beckymarie
    Beckymarie Member Posts: 357
    hope0310 said:

Never been much

Dreams
    I also have not had any dreams of my husband or feelings that he is nearby. This really upsets me because we were very close. When he was in his final weeks, I asked him to let me know some how that he was okay. I am very much a realist so need a not so subtle sign from him or a very vivid dream. Wish I could feel his presence.
  • Stargzr
    Stargzr Member Posts: 47
    Trying to recreate the conditions
    The night before my dream I was putting photos into an album, so the last couple of nights I have continued my project hoping to dream of Bob again. The only other thing that happened a few nights before the dream was that I dozed off while watching TV. I was curled up on the loveseat (not my usual spot) and when I woke up and turned my head, I saw Bob/Bob's image for a split second. He was sitting on the sofa watching TV in my usual spot. He looked like he did before the heavy chemo (full head of hair). So now, of course, I am watching TV on the loveseat hoping to doze off and catch a glimpse of my beloved Bob. I keep hoping that I will start to feel his presence. Perhaps, I am hoping for too much. I don't know.
  • Elizabeth15
    Elizabeth15 Member Posts: 37
    Stargzr said:

Trying to recreate the conditions
    The night before my dream I was putting photos into an album, so the last couple of nights I have continued my project hoping to dream of Bob again. The only other thing that happened a few nights before the dream was that I dozed off while watching TV. I was curled up on the loveseat (not my usual spot) and when I woke up and turned my head, I saw Bob/Bob's image for a split second. He was sitting on the sofa watching TV in my usual spot. He looked like he did before the heavy chemo (full head of hair). So now, of course, I am watching TV on the loveseat hoping to doze off and catch a glimpse of my beloved Bob. I keep hoping that I will start to feel his presence. Perhaps, I am hoping for too much. I don't know.

Dream
    I too have longed to dream about my husband...this effort to "to be with him" is so intense...I feel like just once if I could "touch" him all would be well...yet that does not make sense when I really think about it...I miss him...I miss him...I miss him...finding your posts have really helped me know I am not alone in the kind of thinking...it is very strange trying to figure out where I stand...I feel I stand alone yet when I read your words and others words...there are many of us standing together separated only by our own grief and loss...being stoic is not all it is cracked up to be...I hope you get to see and be with your Bob in your dreams soon...my Bob died Feb 1st of this year and I have yet to see him in a dream...a couple of things have happened that make me wonder if he is somewhere close but it really is hard to decipher these incidents...I really just want to see him again...moving, talking, smiling, making me feel safe again...I so so long to dream...
  • Stargzr

Dream
    I too have longed to dream about my husband...this effort to "to be with him" is so intense...I feel like just once if I could "touch" him all would be well...yet that does not make sense when I really think about it...I miss him...I miss him...I miss him...finding your posts have really helped me know I am not alone in the kind of thinking...it is very strange trying to figure out where I stand...I feel I stand alone yet when I read your words and others words...there are many of us standing together separated only by our own grief and loss...being stoic is not all it is cracked up to be...I hope you get to see and be with your Bob in your dreams soon...my Bob died Feb 1st of this year and I have yet to see him in a dream...a couple of things have happened that make me wonder if he is somewhere close but it really is hard to decipher these incidents...I really just want to see him again...moving, talking, smiling, making me feel safe again...I so so long to dream...

Still waiting for more dreams
    I'm sorry that you lost your husband and that you have to be here, but I want to welcome you. I miss my Bob as well, and I keep waiting for more dreams. Sometimes, I have the sense that I have had some dreams about him - but, I don't remember them. I also think that Bob is close. A few things happened recently following times when I was terribly sad that made me sense that he was nearby. When I goggle the symbolism involved in the incidents, it has helped to clarify the incidents. I really hope that you and I (all of us, in fact) will have and remember the dreams that will connect us to our loved ones. It seems like it is so little to ask! This is hard, but at least we can share our experiences. (((HUGS)))
  • Elizabeth15
    Elizabeth15 Member Posts: 37
    Stargzr said:

I'm sorry that you lost your husband and that you have to be here, but I want to welcome you. I miss my Bob as well, and I keep waiting for more dreams. Sometimes, I have the sense that I have had some dreams about him - but, I don't remember them. I also think that Bob is close. A few things happened recently following times when I was terribly sad that made me sense that he was nearby. When I goggle the symbolism involved in the incidents, it has helped to clarify the incidents. I really hope that you and I (all of us, in fact) will have and remember the dreams that will connect us to our loved ones. It seems like it is so little to ask! This is hard, but at least we can share our experiences. (((HUGS)))

Thank you
    Dear Stargzr, Some would think it were strange to say thank you for a welcome to a cancer discussion board regards grief but the relief I found in knowing others long for dreams is comforting...sad we must long to dream but good to know others are also understand. What an awful place we are in right now...this isolation and sadness is unexplainable to most I know so finding this board is good for me...I just do not want to get obsessed with being here all the time...maybe just because I found it today the newness is what has had me scouring the subjects looking for words/feelings that relate to me and my loss. Bob and I were two peas in a pod...we worked together and worked at home so now that he is gone I have trouble getting motivated. So much to do and I don't really care...I get spurts of energy and then sputter out. I have never minded being alone but I so miss him...the everyday routine, the sound of his razor in the morning, the key in the door, personal exchanges that were our own...everything...had did not care about a lot of friends because we were always together...lived, worked, traveled...everything. We both have good families which is wonderful...no stess there as I have read some folks have. So it is dreams I yearn for. The little "incidents" that have occurred have helped but I just hope to dream and see his movement and hear his voice as I have no recordings of it....I have searched for some videos and have none...I wonder how I let that happen...loads of photos just no audio. Once again thank you for reaching out. Elizabeth
  • ktlcs
    ktlcs Member Posts: 358
    Crazy Stuff
    I usually have dreams earl in the morning but they are often just a jimbled mess of images I know my husband is in the dreams but cannot really remember anything else. What struck me about your post is that you mentioned taking him back to Germany. My husband too was born in Germany and I still have the last of his ashes to scatter at his chilhood home as was his wish. I just don't know how to do it with my work schedule but I will get there
    If I might ask what part of Germany was he from

Kathy
  • Stargzr
    ktlcs said:

Crazy Stuff
    I usually have dreams earl in the morning but they are often just a jimbled mess of images I know my husband is in the dreams but cannot really remember anything else. What struck me about your post is that you mentioned taking him back to Germany. My husband too was born in Germany and I still have the last of his ashes to scatter at his chilhood home as was his wish. I just don't know how to do it with my work schedule but I will get there
    If I might ask what part of Germany was he from

Kathy

Hi Ktlcs, my husband wasn't born in Germany. He was treated in Germany. They successfully treated the cancer that had mestastasized to his lungs for 6 months. He did great under their protocol during that period. I guess the dream was my wish to take him back there so they could make everything right again.