2 mm lesion went to 8 mm in 5 months left lower lung- Is it cancer? Who else has this?

roseinagarden
roseinagarden Member Posts: 3
Had a pet scan 5 months ago found a spot on left lower lung
was 2 mm now its 8 mm. I have appt. with lung doc at loma linda
next week to get the ball rolling on getting a diagnosis etc.

Whose else had this problem, what was it, and what did you do,
and what hospital and doctor did you use?
thanks

58 yr. old white female here riverside calif

Comments

• Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Hello Rose
    Met you in chat

Hello Rose
    Met you in chat this morning! Knowing you will be getting a lot of replies. Thinking and praying for you. Keep in touch.
    Tina in Va
  • soccerfreaks
    soccerfreaks Member Posts: 2,788 Member
    "Spots! Damned spots!" (MacBeth)
    A spot, in and of itself, is not a sign of cancer, Rose, as it may be caused by any number of things, scarring from bronchitis or pneumonia, or an effect of smoking, for example. So, typically your doctor will want to wait to see how the 'spot' acts over time.

In my case, a 4mm node was discovered in right lower lobe. They waited three months before doing another scan, for the reason mentioned above and also because at the original size they might be able to determine whether it was cancer, but it was too small to determine if it was metastatis from another cancer I'd previously had. When these new results came back with some evident growth, we elected to do a right lower lobectomy using the VATS procedure (this is a video-assisted surgery that is much less invasive than the old-fashion method but also not always a possibility).

I spent one night in ICU, and then was scheduled to spend another three days in the hospital before going home.

If the cancer has not spread beyond that one lobe, it is possible that they can do a lobectomy in hopes of removing the cancer completely, possibly followed by chemotherapy to 'slay the strays' as I call it. There are a number of reasons why they may opt not to do a lobectomy, including perhaps some overriding health concerns. Your doctor, of course, will explain all of the options available to you.

In the meantime, I would advise that as of now, if you smoke, quit; if you do not exercise, start.

Hope this helps.

Take care,

Joe
  • roseinagarden

Hello Rose
    Met you in chat

Hello Rose
    Met you in chat this morning! Knowing you will be getting a lot of replies. Thinking and praying for you. Keep in touch.
    Tina in Va

tina
    tina im orginally from va beach va. where are you
    in va? ive lived in calif for 35 yrs. now. just wondering.
  • roseinagarden

A spot, in and of itself, is not a sign of cancer, Rose, as it may be caused by any number of things, scarring from bronchitis or pneumonia, or an effect of smoking, for example. So, typically your doctor will want to wait to see how the 'spot' acts over time.

In my case, a 4mm node was discovered in right lower lobe. They waited three months before doing another scan, for the reason mentioned above and also because at the original size they might be able to determine whether it was cancer, but it was too small to determine if it was metastatis from another cancer I'd previously had. When these new results came back with some evident growth, we elected to do a right lower lobectomy using the VATS procedure (this is a video-assisted surgery that is much less invasive than the old-fashion method but also not always a possibility).

I spent one night in ICU, and then was scheduled to spend another three days in the hospital before going home.

If the cancer has not spread beyond that one lobe, it is possible that they can do a lobectomy in hopes of removing the cancer completely, possibly followed by chemotherapy to 'slay the strays' as I call it. There are a number of reasons why they may opt not to do a lobectomy, including perhaps some overriding health concerns. Your doctor, of course, will explain all of the options available to you.

In the meantime, I would advise that as of now, if you smoke, quit; if you do not exercise, start.

Hope this helps.

Take care,

Joe

joe
    along with the spot , i have a history of former thyroid cancer removed in
    2000. on m r i of abdomen not pet scan, they found a mass on the uncaite and
    head of pancreas they are calling it fat. no biospy done.
    also on pet were found 4 lymp nodes, 2 were metobolic and the other 2
    they said were probally post inflamatory.
    and the 2 mm left lung nodule , now 8 mm

what do you say about that.
  • sissylu1
    sissylu1 Member Posts: 66 Member

Hope this helps.

Take care,

Joe

thanks to soccer freak
    You know I have been a new member only since Jan and have to say I always find your responses to others very knowledgeable (sp?), sensible, funny but laced with such a caring attitude for others....how are you doing?
  • soccerfreaks
    sissylu1 said:

thanks to soccer freak
    You know I have been a new member only since Jan and have to say I always find your responses to others very knowledgeable (sp?), sensible, funny but laced with such a caring attitude for others....how are you doing?

:)
    I am doing well, thanks, sissylu. I am greatly appreciative of your kind and generous words.

I am hopeful that you are doing well, as well.

Hope and Humor!

Take care,

Joe
  • soccerfreaks

tina

fyi
    I am in va beach :)

Take care,

Joe
  • soccerfreaks

joe
    along with the spot , i have a history of former thyroid cancer removed in
    2000. on m r i of abdomen not pet scan, they found a mass on the uncaite and
    head of pancreas they are calling it fat. no biospy done.
    also on pet were found 4 lymp nodes, 2 were metobolic and the other 2
    they said were probally post inflamatory.
    and the 2 mm left lung nodule , now 8 mm

what do you say about that.

hmmm
    I say that, first, I should have indicated in my original response that even a growing 'spot' may be benign. So there is that. Second, these additional aspects of your history and findings is why they pay the doctors the big bucks :).

If I were in your shoes, I think I would be hoping for a new primary in the lung lobe with no spread to other areas, leaving open the option, perhaps, for a lobectomy.

Take care, Rose,

Joe
  • Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member

tina

Hello Rose
    I am in central

Hello Rose
    I am in central Va. The town is Appomattox. Between Lynchburg and Richmond. Amazingly...Joe is in Virginia Beach!! Small world. Keep in touch.
    Tina in Va