ro: addendum to hydration bad

it occurred to me that your doctor's office probably doesn't have a hydration bag, with a pump that feeds all the liquid into your port. i'm wondering if you can ask them to order one for you, with two bags filled with solution and the pump, and attachments, plus fanny pack. i can imagine your insurance might pay for it. if they can't or won't do that for you, if you can, you can order it for yourself, so you can have 4 good days after each infusion. here's the info:infu system, model 6400 ambulatory infusion pump. manufactureda by smitrhs medical md. inc. st paul mn 5512 usa. looks like it's by perscription only, but surely your doctor would give you one. there's even a phone number for pump problems: 800-315-3287. there's no reason why you should suffer unnecessarily after each infusion, if that's still the case. any fanny pack will do, needs to be about 9'' long and about 61/2 " down. i'll be back in chemo next friday and can ask exactly how much of what they put in these bags, if you are interested. let me know.

sisterhood,
maggie

Comments

• Ro10
    Ro10 Member Posts: 1,561 Member
    Maggie thanks for the information
    My post chemo drugs are decadron 8 mg twice a day and compazine 10mg twice a day. I take these for 3 days. I would be interested in what combination of drugs and their dosages are in your hydration bag. Hust to satisfy my own curiosity. I will ask the chemo nurse if they ever send anyone home with a bag like that. I know people have been sent home with chemo to be infused at home.

I have no trouble getting fluids in during chemo or days after, so I don't think I need a hydration bag. I drank 5 big glasses (900 cc each) of fluids while the chemo was going in. I have not been nauseated after the chemo before either. Except this round I had to take compazine on Friday or Saturday which is almost at the end of the 3 week cycle.

Tomorrow I have my second round of chemo. I have my lab at 7:15 a.m. It will be another long day. I appreciate your information. Hope you are feeling okay today. In peace and caring.
  • maggie_wilson
    maggie_wilson Member Posts: 596
    Ro10 said:

Maggie thanks for the information
    My post chemo drugs are decadron 8 mg twice a day and compazine 10mg twice a day. I take these for 3 days. I would be interested in what combination of drugs and their dosages are in your hydration bag. Hust to satisfy my own curiosity. I will ask the chemo nurse if they ever send anyone home with a bag like that. I know people have been sent home with chemo to be infused at home.

I have no trouble getting fluids in during chemo or days after, so I don't think I need a hydration bag. I drank 5 big glasses (900 cc each) of fluids while the chemo was going in. I have not been nauseated after the chemo before either. Except this round I had to take compazine on Friday or Saturday which is almost at the end of the 3 week cycle.

Tomorrow I have my second round of chemo. I have my lab at 7:15 a.m. It will be another long day. I appreciate your information. Hope you are feeling okay today. In peace and caring.

ro,

i have my second chemo, first cycle, friday, and will try to remember to ask what exactly is in these hydration bags and how much. i know there's benedryl, ativan, i think decadron, though not sure. will check and let you know. that's great that mostly you are not nauseated; i'm queasy much of the time, even with the bag. i also try to drink alot of brown rice/green tea which is tasty and easy to get down, but doesn't really stop the nausea.

hope you continue to feel pretty good; makes all the difference. since the bag was removed yesterday, i take ativan prn, tylenol, and occasionally dilaudid, which i've taken before and is quite heavy duty, but does help. sounds like you're doing fine getting all the fluids down, i have a harder time with that.

hugs and sisterhood,
    maggie
  • Ro10
    Ro10 Member Posts: 1,561 Member

ro,

i have my second chemo, first cycle, friday, and will try to remember to ask what exactly is in these hydration bags and how much. i know there's benedryl, ativan, i think decadron, though not sure. will check and let you know. that's great that mostly you are not nauseated; i'm queasy much of the time, even with the bag. i also try to drink alot of brown rice/green tea which is tasty and easy to get down, but doesn't really stop the nausea.

hope you continue to feel pretty good; makes all the difference. since the bag was removed yesterday, i take ativan prn, tylenol, and occasionally dilaudid, which i've taken before and is quite heavy duty, but does help. sounds like you're doing fine getting all the fluids down, i have a harder time with that.

hugs and sisterhood,
    maggie

Maggie good luck Friday
    Sorry to hear you feel nauseated most of the time. That was my biggest fear, since my stomach is so sensitive. I have had very little nausea and no vomiting at all. Hope this next session goes well for you. In peace and caring.