a little exercise tip

maglets
maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
edited March 2014 in Long-Term Survivors #1
Hello everyone, my name is maggie and I am from over on the colon board. Six years since colon and two bouts with liver mets but still going.
This year I really started to take my yoga classes seriously. I find that I am still feeling under threat from cancer....when it`s time for blood or a scan I get myself into a real pickle but yoga does help to get hold of the breathing.

for any abdominal patients I really like this one. Lie flat on your back and bring the soles of your feet together with the knees splayed out on the floor. Raise the arms up above your chest with palms facing one another and then slowly let the hands drop to the floor above your head.....and just rest there. I have no idea what this position does to the internal organs. Give it a try if you are having digestive issues.

I am trying to walk at least 30 minutes a day....I did this through all 3 bouts of chemo and I think it helps....

anybody got any thoughts on moving .....all of my abdominal scarring does limit some exercise....lol...sit-ups...not happening

mags

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Thanks for the info!!!
    I, too, try to walk everyday...and the only thing I also avoid with exercise is crunches (squishes my 'new plumbing' too much).

Thanks for the exercises!

Hugs, Kathi
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    You make it sound so easy! I
    You make it sound so easy! I bet you can scratch that part of the middle of the back where I can't reach! I am very not flexible. Maybe by stretching I could get better but that's a stretch for me. I had to go to physical therapy and she finally decided that's as good as it gets. You are right tho, if I don't try, I'll never be able to do it. I'm thinking about getting an exercise bike.
  • colon no more
    colon no more Member Posts: 12
    exercise
    I was doing Zumba. It seemed to help me. Then I had Moez surgery on my lip and cheek for skin cancer and I couldn't bend over for a while. So I got out of the habit of going. The oncologist told me to try to get back to it, because exercise was good. I have been walking, but I really need to get back to Zumba.
  • Eltina21
    Eltina21 Member Posts: 173 Member
    Exercise Tip
    Thank you so much for the tip. I can't wait to try it.
    Peace and Blessings,
    Karen
  • Marnel
    Marnel Member Posts: 42
    Exercise is key
    Thanks for posting Maggie. I think exercise is key and yoga is so great for quieting the mind and body. I walk 1-2 miles and bike 1-2 miles every day. I am newly diagnosed and won't start chemo until April 13th but I hope to continue my exercise regime for years to come.
  • bluesmasterelf
    bluesmasterelf Member Posts: 4
    Modified Exercise Routines

Hello,

So this thread hasn't seen play in a while, and I am not the best to talk on the subject as my treatment left me able to regain full mobility. However, swimming is always a good full body exercise that adapts well to limitations. Whatever parts you can move, you can try to orient so they face into the water and you can propel yourself somehow. Whatever you can't move, attach a flotation device to. 

-Blues