Does it happens to you?

pepebcn
pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
I'm in a rest of chemo since 2 months ago but there is a thing that drives me really uncomfortable!, I still feel clumsy ,awkward , slow, some problems of photo sensibility on my eyes and a bit of vertigo! unstable over all! . It's been more of 2 months since I am off chemo, does it happened to any of you?.
Thank you for your responses mates!.

Comments

• johnnybegood
    johnnybegood Member Posts: 1,117 Member
    yes it did
    it took me at least 6 months being off chemo before i started getting some things back but thats just me i had a really hard time with it.everyone is differant..Godbless...johnnybegood
  • ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    Hi Pepe
    Talk to your oncologist. One of the rarer side effects or 5Fu is that can disrupt the cerebellum which is your balance centre. It is important that he knows. Ron.
  • pamysue
    pamysue Member Posts: 105
    Also had the 5fu
    and it has sent me reeling of sorts. I am 2 1/2 years (almost) out of chemo and I still have trouble. My oncologist had to write me a note to keep in my truck in case I get pulled over. Because there is no way I could pass a sobriety test. And I am a nearly 20 yr sober alcoholic. I played video bingo the other day on Facebook and it was really hard for me to keep up watching for the called numbers on my 3 cards. I work on my center of balance on the Wii Fit and also with some yoga moves. I am not sure if it helps, but I keep trying. (Except when my depression gets really bad and then I do nothing.)
  • jararno
    jararno Member Posts: 186
    4 Months since Chemo.
    Pepe.....I finished Folfox 4 months ago and still have slight balance issues. I notice that I hold onto walls, cars, furniture when I walk. I feel more comfortable pushing a cart when I shop.

My peripheral neuropathy isn't actually painful, just feels like cotton stuck on my feet and my hands tingle. Hopefully this will get better.

No photo sensitivity that I have noticed, but I have pretty much been indoors most of the winter.

The fatigue has still been bad, but I am able to stay awake more these days.

I have been going through CT SCANS and other fun stuff involving lots of needles recently, so I have had a bit more anxiety than usual. Colonoscopy will be on Friday.....not looking forward to the preparation.

Hope you are feeling better.

Take Care,

Barb
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    jararno said:

4 Months since Chemo.
    Pepe.....I finished Folfox 4 months ago and still have slight balance issues. I notice that I hold onto walls, cars, furniture when I walk. I feel more comfortable pushing a cart when I shop.

My peripheral neuropathy isn't actually painful, just feels like cotton stuck on my feet and my hands tingle. Hopefully this will get better.

No photo sensitivity that I have noticed, but I have pretty much been indoors most of the winter.

The fatigue has still been bad, but I am able to stay awake more these days.

I have been going through CT SCANS and other fun stuff involving lots of needles recently, so I have had a bit more anxiety than usual. Colonoscopy will be on Friday.....not looking forward to the preparation.

Hope you are feeling better.

Take Care,

Barb

Pepe....1& 1/2 years before I felt like I was strong again...
    then boom lung met, but the strength I had regained help me through the surgery. I think I am back to about 80%...may be all I get dunno, don't care,,,long as I don't go to Stage 5 all will be well............buzz
  • Lori-S
    Lori-S Member Posts: 1,277 Member
    pamysue said:

Also had the 5fu
    and it has sent me reeling of sorts. I am 2 1/2 years (almost) out of chemo and I still have trouble. My oncologist had to write me a note to keep in my truck in case I get pulled over. Because there is no way I could pass a sobriety test. And I am a nearly 20 yr sober alcoholic. I played video bingo the other day on Facebook and it was really hard for me to keep up watching for the called numbers on my 3 cards. I work on my center of balance on the Wii Fit and also with some yoga moves. I am not sure if it helps, but I keep trying. (Except when my depression gets really bad and then I do nothing.)

Ha!
    Great avatar you little semi colon!
  • Lori-S
    Lori-S Member Posts: 1,277 Member
    So glad that I am not the only one
    Sometimes when I walk my dog I catch myself almost falling over. What's up with that? sorry that you have that problem with balance too Pepe but, glad to hear that others have the experience. I just blame everything on chemo. Makes me feel better .... hahahaha
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    Lori-S said:

So glad that I am not the only one
    Sometimes when I walk my dog I catch myself almost falling over. What's up with that? sorry that you have that problem with balance too Pepe but, glad to hear that others have the experience. I just blame everything on chemo. Makes me feel better .... hahahaha

yes definitively is chemo,s fault but how long after chemo?
    hugs!
  • Crow71
    Crow71 Member Posts: 679 Member
    Getting better but . . .
    I am still a little clumsy after Folfori and Folfox. I have to really concentrate when I'm kicking the soccer ball with my 5 year old. The other day I tripped over the ball and fell right into our retaining wall. I'm glad my wife wasn't there to see it.
    Roger
  • pamysue
    Lori-S said:

Ha!
    Great avatar you little semi colon!

Thank you, Lori.
    I have a polo shirt with this on it. Nobody in the general public gets it.
  • pamysue
    pepebcn said:

yes definitively is chemo,s fault but how long after chemo?
    hugs!

I had the same
    male nurse all through chemo. He and his wife have become family friends. I have talked to him about this issue and he says there is no manual for it. It does not matter what your age, race, gender, physical fitness... does not matter. People react as their body dictates. Some neuropathy damage goes away quickly, some people never recover, some get better somewhere in the middle. The same goes for the chemo brain, balance issues, fatigue... pick a side effect. Very aggravating, but it is better to know that it is not just you.

You may want to check out the Long Term Effects message board, too.
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Glad to know
    Glad to know that I'm not the only klutz around here! Sad, though, to discover all the many things chemo has done to our bodies and minds.
  • lisa42 said:

Glad to know
    Glad to know that I'm not the only klutz around here! Sad, though, to discover all the many things chemo has done to our bodies and minds.

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Patteee
    Patteee Member Posts: 945
    I am 2+ years post chemo and
    I am 2+ years post chemo and I continue to have problems
    neuropathy in my hands (really bad in my left hand_
    my gait is off and I trip on creases in the carpet
    bad eyes- I wear reading glasses all the time now- I also have to be really careful in the cold with my eyes, they feel like they will freeze
    mouth issues- very sensitive skin inside my mouth. Things like carbonated soft drinks BURN
    arthritis- I have had one thumb joint replaced, the other one I am trying to avoid. Both of my knees need to be done.
    I believe we all have permanent changes from the chemo, some more so than others.
    I also was pretty sick on chemo- all of the above were issues while on chemo, they just are not as severe.