Clear colonoscopy Dec '10
    Next colonoscopy Dec '12 , Next scan June '11

Take D3, Low Dose asprin, fish oil, multi-vitamins , no red meat
    Paddle a lot
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    Buzzard said:

DX 03/25/08............
    surgery 7/15/08....................clear until August 2010 then surgery for a lung met removed 09/07/10.......Went from Stage 2 to Stage 4 with the lung met.......Long as I don't go to stage 5 all will be well...............buzz

Yes, ut will Buzz!!

Yes, ut will Buzz!!
  • colon71
    colon71 Member Posts: 15
    Buzzard said:

DX 03/25/08............
    surgery 7/15/08....................clear until August 2010 then surgery for a lung met removed 09/07/10.......Went from Stage 2 to Stage 4 with the lung met.......Long as I don't go to stage 5 all will be well...............buzz

Stage 0
    Let's hope to get us all back to stage 0 and clear of this cancer...
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Buzzard said:

DX 03/25/08............

Nope, Buzz....you can't go to stage 5....
    You have been on the stage for far long enough!!!! You need an Tony for all of your time!!!!

BIG hugs, Kathi
  • colon71
    colon71 Member Posts: 15
    KathiM said:

And now, from the 'old lady'....lol! (GREAT thread!)
    Dx 11/2004 stage III rectal cancer.
    Chemo/rads pre-surgery. Oxiliplatin and 5FU.
    J-pouch surgery, removal of rectum and sigmoid colon, with total hysterectomy 5/2005

Dx 8/2005 stage II breast cancer. Second primary site.
    Lumpectomy, chemo/rads.
    Last rad 7/03/2006.

Total small bowel obstruction 8/2005, and surgery for, 2 weeks after lumpectomy. 8 more for the next year I cleared myself.

Remission on both since.

I am lactose intollerant from the chemo. Rads damage my heart (bc) and left hip (crc). Osteoporotic, taking Actonel and calcium to reverse.

I avoid dairy products, but 'sin' occasionally...it's hard on the toilet after...lol! I have cut back on my red meat. I always ate fresh fruits and vegies, so that hasn't changed.

My life has changed completely. I am now semi-retired, living in 2 countries. In The Netherlands, we bike alot, and walk daily. In America, we walk daily, but don't bike as much.

I see each day as a gift, given that I was told I had 6 months to live, 6 years ago. I live life to the full extent, keeping in mind that my 'someday' is now. I find something every day to laugh or be happy about. Some days are harder than others...but I laugh frequently. I always say "I cannot do anything normally. Everything is always an adventure!" (My recent experience at the airport when they threatened to deport me.....lol!)

I try (not always sucessfully) to be kind to people. I do stand up for myself more now than I did. Cancer taught me that in the final analysis, I stand alone. And so, I like myself alot more...

Hugs, Kathi

Wonderful
    Kathi your story is wonderful and an inspiration to us all. By the way I love the Netherlands as when I was living in Germany it was so nice to be able to get away on the weekends to other countries. I watched a program called international house hunters the other night and it was about a couple who moved over there and bought a house boat. It's really crazy how nice they can make one of those tiny boats look. Then again it's amazing how nice they can make a trailer look,lol. But again I am so happy for you that you are doing amazingly well. May you continue to win your battle with cancer and have a nice beer for me as American beer just does not compare.
  • Nana b

Questions berries etc
    Hi, In 2009 I was told that I had colorectal cancer stage 3 cat b. So in March 2009 had surgery they removed the tumor, had an ilescotmy(sp) bag until Jan 2010. I also had a feeding tube for about 3 to 4 months last years. I had the radiation and chemo. Couldnt finish all the chemo because I had alot of issues with it. Had numerous surgeries where they removed parts of my colon due to the radiation. I had a surgery back in March 2010 where the surgeron reconnected my colon a different way because I was throwing up alot. I couldnt hardly eat and drink. Sorry but cant remember the name of the surgery. :). Still have been in and out of the hospital since all this began, plus numerous trips to the ER. I also had C diff this yr and last yr. So far this month only had 1 incident of it. I went down to 69 lbs currently at 87lbs. I try to eat fish, chicken and nothing really fried in oil. Been trying to stay everything oven baked etc. Since all this I have been wearing diapers since Jan 2010 due to my bowels not being able to be controlled. I wear them 24 hrs 7 days straight. I am remaining positive. I was wondering what kind of berries do you eat? Can you email me some more information on what receipes you pretty much follow?.

Its been chanllenging(sp) to change the eating habits etc. I am doing better about it now.

Thank you Barbara

All the berries are
    All the berries are antioxidants. Raspberry, blueberries and cranberries being the best. Either fresh or frozen.
    I alsobfollow the anti cancer book. I think while adding these berries. I cook greem and sauté onions and garlic. I eat cooked tomatoes. No beef.

I stick with salads, avoid white, and stay away from most sugar, sodas, and juice cocktails. I drink water, green, Ginger and jasmine tea.

This det may not be for you. I do not have bowel problems or surgeries. It would seem that you need to add sone weight.
    I would recommendva naturpath to help you individually

All the best, Raquel.
  • Nana b
    KathiM said:

And now, from the 'old lady'....lol! (GREAT thread!)
    Dx 11/2004 stage III rectal cancer.
    Chemo/rads pre-surgery. Oxiliplatin and 5FU.
    J-pouch surgery, removal of rectum and sigmoid colon, with total hysterectomy 5/2005

Dx 8/2005 stage II breast cancer. Second primary site.
    Lumpectomy, chemo/rads.
    Last rad 7/03/2006.

Total small bowel obstruction 8/2005, and surgery for, 2 weeks after lumpectomy. 8 more for the next year I cleared myself.

Remission on both since.

I am lactose intollerant from the chemo. Rads damage my heart (bc) and left hip (crc). Osteoporotic, taking Actonel and calcium to reverse.

I avoid dairy products, but 'sin' occasionally...it's hard on the toilet after...lol! I have cut back on my red meat. I always ate fresh fruits and vegies, so that hasn't changed.

My life has changed completely. I am now semi-retired, living in 2 countries. In The Netherlands, we bike alot, and walk daily. In America, we walk daily, but don't bike as much.

I see each day as a gift, given that I was told I had 6 months to live, 6 years ago. I live life to the full extent, keeping in mind that my 'someday' is now. I find something every day to laugh or be happy about. Some days are harder than others...but I laugh frequently. I always say "I cannot do anything normally. Everything is always an adventure!" (My recent experience at the airport when they threatened to deport me.....lol!)

I try (not always sucessfully) to be kind to people. I do stand up for myself more now than I did. Cancer taught me that in the final analysis, I stand alone. And so, I like myself alot more...

Hugs, Kathi

Love it Kathi. Well said!!

Love it Kathi. Well said!!
  • Vickilg
    Vickilg Member Posts: 281 Member
    Thank you!
    I am so glad you started this discussion. The very positive answers are so encouraging. May God bless us all! Thank you for making my day with all of these survivor stories! :)
  • qwe
    qwe Member Posts: 124
    Vickilg said:

Thank you!
    I am so glad you started this discussion. The very positive answers are so encouraging. May God bless us all! Thank you for making my day with all of these survivor stories! :)

I found out I had rectal
    I found out I had rectal cancer Dec. 17 2008 started treatment the middle of Jan
    2009 had chemo 5-FU 25 five treatments I wear it for 5 days and 2 days off had
    radiations 25 treatments Had surgery March 26 2009. The radiations treatments
    damaged my small blow had two have to more surgery one in April 26 2010 the other
    this year Jan. I was in the hospital for one month I have been in remission for
    1 year 11 months. [I have a colostomy.]
  • qwe
    qwe Member Posts: 124
    colon71 said:

What makes you able to say you're NED
    DX Feb 2010 Stage 4
    Colon Resection March 2010
    Liver Resection August 2010
    Finished 12 rounds of chemo and as of CT scan results from last week my oncologist feels that I am cancer free. Although they did see two small things on my lungs one 3mm and the other 5mm but he said that is just tiny and NO way of knowing what they are. He said they could be nothing at all but now he knows they are there and he will watch them like a hawk.

Colonoscopy next week with blood work in 4 weeks to check the CEA number currently 2.6 but it was down to 1.5 about 4 months ago. Again he said this was still a good number and within the normal range. Said he would worry if it goes above 3.5 if it does not then CT in three months.

Now I have a very small hernia from the liver surgery but that can wait as I am sick on being around doctors as I am sure we all are.

My Dr saids the same thing
    My Dr saids the same thing about the CEA levels so you are still good.
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    NED
    Colon cancer, stage 1, diagnosed 11/21/07. NED since colon resection 11/23/07. I KNOW I'm blessed.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • christinecarl
    christinecarl Member Posts: 543 Member
    Not saying the R word
    I am with Sonia and I am not using the R word.

Diagnosed 12-2-08, Stage IIIB

Colon Resection Surgery 12-5-08

12 Folfox chemos

I just joined a gym and have been using the treadmill, need to get my self back in shape.
  • bspangler47
    bspangler47 Member Posts: 145
    Nana b said:

All the berries are
    All the berries are antioxidants. Raspberry, blueberries and cranberries being the best. Either fresh or frozen.
    I alsobfollow the anti cancer book. I think while adding these berries. I cook greem and sauté onions and garlic. I eat cooked tomatoes. No beef.

I stick with salads, avoid white, and stay away from most sugar, sodas, and juice cocktails. I drink water, green, Ginger and jasmine tea.

This det may not be for you. I do not have bowel problems or surgeries. It would seem that you need to add sone weight.
    I would recommendva naturpath to help you individually

All the best, Raquel.

Berries etc
    Thanks Raquel for the information. I appreciated it. I will research a naturpath here where I live. Regarding my weight, I drink the Booast(sp) in the mornings. But I have to make sure I am home because it doesnt stay very long in me. I can honestly say the last few weeks I finally feel better about myself. I drink alot of water and gatorade. I even eat ice cream, shakes, malts. A dr even suggest for me to drink a beer or 2 because that would add calories. I do eat rice but I have heard to eat white rice and then I hear no to eat brown rice. I also eat bannanas as much as possible. The juices I have to take slow. I find its basically trial and error when it comes to eatting food and drinking liquids.

Thanks again. It is nice to come to a site where you find ppl that have went thru the same thing or almost the same thing.

:)

Barbara

I have been looking for some good receipes for chicken, fish, salmon.
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    an inspiration
    Nana,

Thanks for starting this thread- reading about people who have beat the cancer odds and are doing well (especially any stage IV people), gives me great hope and inspiration!!

Hugs to all,
    Lisa
  • JoyceSteele
    JoyceSteele Member Posts: 145
    Thank you
    Everyone for sharing your inspiring and encouraging personal stories. Buzz you are not going to stage V, you still have too much to offer this world as do the others. I am so grateful to have found this group, thank God every day for it. Am heading to Mayo at the end of the week for pre-op tests, next week meet with the surgeon once more and hope to have the first of 2 liver resections the week of March 7. If anyone cares to share their story about resection and what to expect, type away! Thank you all so very much for being here. Love and hugs, Joyce
  • GOOFYLADIE
    GOOFYLADIE Member Posts: 232 Member
    13 years remission
    Great thread! I am still around I still post, now and again. I have still have side effects from Chemo 3 surgeries last year alone. 1 surgery this year so far looks like I will have one more at least on my lower back. I had Duke C Carcinoma, Grapefruit sized tumor removed from colon, with 16 of the 32 lymphnodes positive. I had a right hemi-colectomy and had about 16 months of chemo. I had 5fu and leucovourine for 4 months about until system shut down then they switched to this cocktail concoction. And I was in the hospital more than I was home. My mom would not come see me in the hospital because I was always in the fetal position and my kidneys and liver were always failing and she new I was going to be gone, she couldn't stand the thought of remembering me that way, and I am the same way, I want to remember everyone at there best, because I have seen them at there weak moments as they struggle and show their integrity which makes their shining moments only brighter, it shows who they really are. Sorry I had a ramble session there anyway life is good, still have crap to deal with whethor you are healthy or not you still have to plow thru the best way we know how, head up, making the best choices, using all the information thrown at us the best we can, and hell no I am not sliding in to home plate anywhere, you'll find me flying!!! I'll be watching from above! love you guys!
    Cass(goofytladie) Keep dancing! It's good for the soul and the butt!lol
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member

13 years remission
    Great thread! I am still around I still post, now and again. I have still have side effects from Chemo 3 surgeries last year alone. 1 surgery this year so far looks like I will have one more at least on my lower back. I had Duke C Carcinoma, Grapefruit sized tumor removed from colon, with 16 of the 32 lymphnodes positive. I had a right hemi-colectomy and had about 16 months of chemo. I had 5fu and leucovourine for 4 months about until system shut down then they switched to this cocktail concoction. And I was in the hospital more than I was home. My mom would not come see me in the hospital because I was always in the fetal position and my kidneys and liver were always failing and she new I was going to be gone, she couldn't stand the thought of remembering me that way, and I am the same way, I want to remember everyone at there best, because I have seen them at there weak moments as they struggle and show their integrity which makes their shining moments only brighter, it shows who they really are. Sorry I had a ramble session there anyway life is good, still have crap to deal with whethor you are healthy or not you still have to plow thru the best way we know how, head up, making the best choices, using all the information thrown at us the best we can, and hell no I am not sliding in to home plate anywhere, you'll find me flying!!! I'll be watching from above! love you guys!
    Cass(goofytladie) Keep dancing! It's good for the soul and the butt!lol

Missed you, Cass!
    Cass, it is good to see you here; I have missed you! Please come back again soon.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    AnneCan said:

Missed you, Cass!
    Cass, it is good to see you here; I have missed you! Please come back again soon.

I agree with Anne....
    GREAT to 'see' you, dearheart!!!

Dutch hugs, Kathi
  • emrose
    emrose Member Posts: 136
    Husband ned
    Diagnosed IIIB December 08
    Surgery and 6mo chemo
    Recurrence in lung January 2010, although it was likely there from the beginning (tiny spot in first scan, no one thought it was cancer, but it grew... )
    Surgery March 2010
    No chemo - herbal suuplements and other natural, healthy treatments (we went this route since the chemo was so hard for him, and the cancer grew anyway. Had chemosensitivity testing and he showed resistant to Folfox and Folfuri anyway. Like Nana, not a suggestion, just the choice that was right for us)
    So far so good. 3 clear scans, the last one in December.
  • Randy33
    Randy33 Member Posts: 69 Member
    NED 2 yrs
    I was
    dx July 2008 Stage 4
    Mets to liver
    surgery to remove cncer in colon
    10 rounds Folfox/Avastin
    colon resection Feb 2009
    NED since Dec. 2008 I did not need liver surgery as chemo caused the tumor to disappear

Exercise- 3hrs/day
    Diet- no red meat, lots of fruit/vegetables/whole grains, green tea, tumeric
    Supplements- asprin, resviratrol, Co-Q10, Vit. D3, fish oil, multi-vitamin
    Everything has been good so far except I still have some numbness in my feet from the chemo. Does anyone else have that problem and has anyone else had it last for two years and then go away?