Remission. How many out there?

Nana b
Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
edited February 2011 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I was asked the other day why I still hang with those that still have a cancer. Well, without a pause, I said because I want to be here for them and I care. And..., I may be back....who knows!

So with that said, how many folks here are in remission and how long? I will start first

DX Nov 2008, stage IV
Colorectal Surgery Nov 2008
3 months folfox
Liver resection, April 2009
NED since Liver resection
3 months months mop up chemo
Hernia Repair, February 2010

Today, I take many supplements, and try and stay away from Red Meat, white bread, white rice, alcohol, and sweets. In other words , I stay aware that they are not good for me. I eat lots of berries, greens and salads. (this isn't a suggestion, just what I do).

What I would change and what I should change... not have cancer! Exercise more!! Duh, they go hand in hand, better get on that treadmill!

Comments

• Lori-S
    Lori-S Member Posts: 1,277 Member
    Rachel
    I am not in remission but I have a quick question for you. How is exercise going after your hernia repair? I haven't been able to exercise like before due to my hernias and I am wondering how you are doing with exercising after the repair. I'm thinking that I might have to start very slowly with any core strenthening exercises in order to not cause another hernia?
  • Nana b
    Lori-S said:

Rachel
    I am not in remission but I have a quick question for you. How is exercise going after your hernia repair? I haven't been able to exercise like before due to my hernias and I am wondering how you are doing with exercising after the repair. I'm thinking that I might have to start very slowly with any core strenthening exercises in order to not cause another hernia?

I do the treadmill and
    I do the treadmill and stretching exercises. I also dance for about an hour with or without my granddaughter. Lol I also massage all my scars daily. When I get in bed and out of bed. Just rub, rub, rub! I have never been a sit up person. I do lift the shoulders off the ground for a semi situp. More of a side to side stretching. To answer your question. I am doing fine, but do get sore when using a differt muscle. Take it slow.
  • abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Lori-S said:

Rachel

Exercise after hernia repair
    I'm free to do anything - there is mesh in there holding me together. I had to build up slowly, but am free to do anything now. Hernia repair was in June, 2010. Prior to the repair, I could still do most anything, but I had to wear support garments. I still like support garments, for my mental and physical comfort, but we're not worried about the hernia any more.
  • abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Dx: 4/2007 Metastatic Appendiceal Cancer
    Colon resection, 7/2007
    NED since colon resection
    IP Chemo: 7/2007-11/2007
    "Adjuvant" chemo (Folfox plus Avastin) 1/2008 - 4/2008
    Hernia repair: 6/2010

Feeling great. Trying to live a healthier lifestyle, but ...

I'm here because I hope that I can help others going through similar stuff.
  • iluvmms
    iluvmms Member Posts: 134 Member
    abrub said:

Dx: 4/2007 Metastatic Appendiceal Cancer
    Colon resection, 7/2007
    NED since colon resection
    IP Chemo: 7/2007-11/2007
    "Adjuvant" chemo (Folfox plus Avastin) 1/2008 - 4/2008
    Hernia repair: 6/2010

Feeling great. Trying to live a healthier lifestyle, but ...

I'm here because I hope that I can help others going through similar stuff.

Dx: 07/2009 colon cancer mets to liver stage IV
    colon resection 07/2009
    chemo
    theraspheres 02/2010
    liver resection 04/2010
    NED since liver resection
    having port removed next friday 2/25/2011
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    Nana b said:

I do the treadmill and
    I do the treadmill and stretching exercises. I also dance for about an hour with or without my granddaughter. Lol I also massage all my scars daily. When I get in bed and out of bed. Just rub, rub, rub! I have never been a sit up person. I do lift the shoulders off the ground for a semi situp. More of a side to side stretching. To answer your question. I am doing fine, but do get sore when using a differt muscle. Take it slow.

**Don't know how a hernia affects this exercise but the "plank"
    is a rather effective stomach move (keeping torso straight,belly tight, support body by forearms and toes and hold position as long as possible-google it for examples and variations)Need to get back to this myself......Study after study have concluded that exercise is extremely important in our situations....

** just a footnote to the conversation
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    iluvmms said:

Dx: 07/2009 colon cancer mets to liver stage IV
    colon resection 07/2009
    chemo
    theraspheres 02/2010
    liver resection 04/2010
    NED since liver resection
    having port removed next friday 2/25/2011

Stage lV , surgery colon&liver December 2009
    Recurrence July 2010 on liver and some lymph nodes , chemo and radio until December , Pet and scans show a total remission but not NED yet!.
    StdBy. now as they don't want to operate blindly !.
    Hugs!
  • Nana b
    pepebcn said:

Stage lV , surgery colon&liver December 2009
    Recurrence July 2010 on liver and some lymph nodes , chemo and radio until December , Pet and scans show a total remission but not NED yet!.
    StdBy. now as they don't want to operate blindly !.
    Hugs!

PEPE
    I don't think I knew

PEPE

I don't think I knew that you had a recurrence?? Great on the Scans!

There has to be more in remission? I know the long termers are on the other board but thought we had more here.
  • HollyID
    HollyID Member Posts: 946 Member
    Diagnosed in 11/09
    Surgery

Diagnosed in 11/09
    Surgery in 12/09
    Seven rounds of FOLFOX and 5 without Oxi.
    I think I've been NED of CRC since after surgery 12/09
    It came from THE man that I was officially in remission of CRC 7/10.
    Hysterectomy 8/10 for cervical cancer (Docs think a carryover from CRC)
  • Sonia32
    Sonia32 Member Posts: 1,071 Member
    Feel scared to say
    in remission in case I jinx myself, hate cancer.

Next scan 14th March
    In remission since March 2009 (if you count after surgery) or after final chemo Dec 2009
    Stage 3, 10/11 lymph nodes infected
    Still here because I love everyone, your all my second family and I wamt to help if I can.
    Take vitamins, try and eat healthy, and exercise when I can.
  • plh4gail
    plh4gail Member Posts: 1,238 Member
    I'm so happy for all of you
    I'm so happy for all of you :)I'll be joining you soon I hope!

Gail
  • Nana b
    plh4gail said:

I'm so happy for all of you
    I'm so happy for all of you :)I'll be joining you soon I hope!

Gail

Yes, you will!!!!

Yes, you will!!!!
  • dmdwins
    dmdwins Member Posts: 454 Member
    Nana b said:

Yes, you will!!!!

Yes, you will!!!!

Me

Dx October 2007 Stage IV
    Colon resection and left ovary removed October 2007
    6 months folfox + Avastin
    November 2008 right ovary removed
    Diet changes and supplements since diagnosis
    NED since

As Nana b said....need to add exercise!!

Smiles,
    Dawn
  • colon71
    colon71 Member Posts: 15
    What makes you able to say you're NED
    DX Feb 2010 Stage 4
    Colon Resection March 2010
    Liver Resection August 2010
    Finished 12 rounds of chemo and as of CT scan results from last week my oncologist feels that I am cancer free. Although they did see two small things on my lungs one 3mm and the other 5mm but he said that is just tiny and NO way of knowing what they are. He said they could be nothing at all but now he knows they are there and he will watch them like a hawk.

Colonoscopy next week with blood work in 4 weeks to check the CEA number currently 2.6 but it was down to 1.5 about 4 months ago. Again he said this was still a good number and within the normal range. Said he would worry if it goes above 3.5 if it does not then CT in three months.

Now I have a very small hernia from the liver surgery but that can wait as I am sick on being around doctors as I am sure we all are.
  • Nana b
    colon71 said:

DX Feb 2010 Stage 4
    Finished 12 rounds of chemo and as of CT scan results from last week my oncologist feels that I am cancer free. Although they did see two small things on my lungs one 3mm and the other 5mm but he said that is just tiny and NO way of knowing what they are. He said they could be nothing at all but now he knows they are there and he will watch them like a hawk.

Colonoscopy next week with blood work in 4 weeks to check the CEA number currently 2.6 but it was down to 1.5 about 4 months ago. Again he said this was still a good number and within the normal range. Said he would worry if it goes above 3.5 if it does not then CT in three months.

Now I have a very small hernia from the liver surgery but that can wait as I am sick on being around doctors as I am sure we all are.

Hi! Is that a question
    Hi! Is that a question Colon? I'm sure all will be well on your colonoscopy and blood work!
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    colon71 said:

DX Feb 2010 Stage 4

DX 03/25/08............
    surgery 7/15/08....................clear until August 2010 then surgery for a lung met removed 09/07/10.......Went from Stage 2 to Stage 4 with the lung met.......Long as I don't go to stage 5 all will be well...............buzz
  • belindahill
    belindahill Member Posts: 144
    nearly there.
    hello all, last round of chemo next month for stage 3b. Doing well, ct then colonoscopy that will be the next big step. Hoping to go away beginning of may.
    Only thing that worries me is cea 4, but they stay that is in the range and are not worried at all. So good to read all the good posts.
  • bspangler47
    bspangler47 Member Posts: 145
    Questions berries etc
    Hi, In 2009 I was told that I had colorectal cancer stage 3 cat b. So in March 2009 had surgery they removed the tumor, had an ilescotmy(sp) bag until Jan 2010. I also had a feeding tube for about 3 to 4 months last years. I had the radiation and chemo. Couldnt finish all the chemo because I had alot of issues with it. Had numerous surgeries where they removed parts of my colon due to the radiation. I had a surgery back in March 2010 where the surgeron reconnected my colon a different way because I was throwing up alot. I couldnt hardly eat and drink. Sorry but cant remember the name of the surgery. :). Still have been in and out of the hospital since all this began, plus numerous trips to the ER. I also had C diff this yr and last yr. So far this month only had 1 incident of it. I went down to 69 lbs currently at 87lbs. I try to eat fish, chicken and nothing really fried in oil. Been trying to stay everything oven baked etc. Since all this I have been wearing diapers since Jan 2010 due to my bowels not being able to be controlled. I wear them 24 hrs 7 days straight. I am remaining positive. I was wondering what kind of berries do you eat? Can you email me some more information on what receipes you pretty much follow?.

Its been chanllenging(sp) to change the eating habits etc. I am doing better about it now.

Thank you Barbara
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    NED
    I don't say remission either...but NED

DX'd 10/22/08 Stage 3 rectal cancer
    Radiation/Chemo
    Surgery 2/4/09
    More chemo through July 09
    Surgery to remove damaged colon section that didn't heal August 09
    Clear scan, but damaged colon, anus, etc
    Complete colostomy 11/11/09
    NED April 2010
    Port removed
    Declared 'finished' by my oncologist and my GI Sept 25, 2010. They both said if it comes back now, it's gotta be a new cancer. We'll see. This was my 3rd cancer (uterine and cervical, two separate primaries, both in 1994)
    Clear colonoscopy Nov 2010
    Next CT scan, September 2011

Now battling sever osteoarthritis in my hips, from radiation damage.

Living life to it's fullest!

Many hugs, Vicki
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    And now, from the 'old lady'....lol! (GREAT thread!)
    Dx 11/2004 stage III rectal cancer.
    Chemo/rads pre-surgery. Oxiliplatin and 5FU.
    J-pouch surgery, removal of rectum and sigmoid colon, with total hysterectomy 5/2005

Dx 8/2005 stage II breast cancer. Second primary site.
    Lumpectomy, chemo/rads.
    Last rad 7/03/2006.

Total small bowel obstruction 8/2005, and surgery for, 2 weeks after lumpectomy. 8 more for the next year I cleared myself.

Remission on both since.

I am lactose intollerant from the chemo. Rads damage my heart (bc) and left hip (crc). Osteoporotic, taking Actonel and calcium to reverse.

I avoid dairy products, but 'sin' occasionally...it's hard on the toilet after...lol! I have cut back on my red meat. I always ate fresh fruits and vegies, so that hasn't changed.

My life has changed completely. I am now semi-retired, living in 2 countries. In The Netherlands, we bike alot, and walk daily. In America, we walk daily, but don't bike as much.

I see each day as a gift, given that I was told I had 6 months to live, 6 years ago. I live life to the full extent, keeping in mind that my 'someday' is now. I find something every day to laugh or be happy about. Some days are harder than others...but I laugh frequently. I always say "I cannot do anything normally. Everything is always an adventure!" (My recent experience at the airport when they threatened to deport me.....lol!)

I try (not always sucessfully) to be kind to people. I do stand up for myself more now than I did. Cancer taught me that in the final analysis, I stand alone. And so, I like myself alot more...

Hugs, Kathi