Esophageal Cancer Surgery

24

Comments

  • Katanna
    Who was your doctor? Your hospital? My doctor said lets wait and see how this progresses.
    I can't wait. What were your first signs? Your blood count?
    Thanks, Sharon

    This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • edith leibel
    edith leibel Member Posts: 2
    unknown said:

    This comment has been removed by the Moderator

    just diagnosed
    I was just diagnosed with stage 3 esophegeal cancer. Have seen 2 oncololists who both reccommend chemo and radiation therepy followed by surgery. Will be going to Memorial Sloan Kettering next week to meet with their top gastro oncologist. I am 72 and do not think I can handle such extensive surgery. Any suggestions or support you can give me will be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Edith Leibel
  • twristen
    twristen Member Posts: 1
    My father just went thru surgery
    My father had stage 2 and started with Chemo and radiation. After a petscan they determined the cancer was dead, but the surgery still needed to take place. The went thru the stomach and the side of his neck to remove most of the esophagus and to form the stomach into a tube and attach it to the remaining piece of the esophagus in the neck. He is really nervous about the life changes. For about 4-5 weeks he will be fed thru a feeding tube. Is there anyone he can talk to that has gone thru a similar situation? He would like to be able to talk to someone to find out what life is like after sugery. Please let me know. Thanks
  • kitten0385
    kitten0385 Member Posts: 248
    twristen said:

    My father just went thru surgery
    My father had stage 2 and started with Chemo and radiation. After a petscan they determined the cancer was dead, but the surgery still needed to take place. The went thru the stomach and the side of his neck to remove most of the esophagus and to form the stomach into a tube and attach it to the remaining piece of the esophagus in the neck. He is really nervous about the life changes. For about 4-5 weeks he will be fed thru a feeding tube. Is there anyone he can talk to that has gone thru a similar situation? He would like to be able to talk to someone to find out what life is like after sugery. Please let me know. Thanks

    Hi!

    Your father's surgery sounds pretty much like the same surgery I had, an incision in the stomach and the neck. I had all of my esophagus removed, and my stomach pulled up into a tube and attached. I had stage 3 cancer, and also went through radiation and chemo. After the few weeks on the feeding tube he will start taking a few bites of softer food at a time to make sure all goes down well, and then he will gradually be able to eat various foods. I am a few months out from surgery, it was in October, and I am able to eat anything I want to....with limited amounts of sugar due to a thing they call dumping syndrome, although I am able to eat more sugar now than I was closer to the surgery. Also, eating smaller meals several times throughout the day will be ideal, as he obviously has less room in his stomach. I am only 24, 23 at the time of surgery, and have not had to make many life changes because of the surgery other than just eating in smaller portions and not being able to have quite the sweet tooth I did before. I did lose some weight, but am putting it back on now that I am able to eat more. Hope this helps!! Anything else, please ask!

    Cathy
  • szaboe
    szaboe Member Posts: 19
    Katanna said:

    I am proof as well. Stage 4 survivor and still here after almost 5 years!

    Hello
    Hello Katanna:

    I just recently joined this site after my brother was recently diagnosed with stage 1V esophageal cancer. He just finished his radiation treatments and his second chemo therapy.
    He has a JGpeg tube and still can not really eat, has pain still at the esophagus tumor site. If you have time and you are still on this site, I would really appreciate your input and if possible your treatment and where you had gone, if possible\
    Thank you for sharing your experiences with me and the people on this site whom I am sure have benefitted immensely


    Eileen
  • MOE58
    MOE58 Member Posts: 589
    getting ready for surgery
    my husband is due for surgery 7-23-09 and i am scared out of my pants he is stage 2 and given good things about all this but its still scary.

    thanks
    Moe
  • kitten0385
    kitten0385 Member Posts: 248
    MOE58 said:

    getting ready for surgery
    my husband is due for surgery 7-23-09 and i am scared out of my pants he is stage 2 and given good things about all this but its still scary.

    thanks
    Moe

    Lori,

    You're right...surgery is scary. You guys will get through it just fine though!! and remember, I should be around on the day of his surgery, so check in, I'd like to know how it's going!! I'll check my facebook that day too. :0) Hope you're having a good day!

    Cathy
  • MOE58
    MOE58 Member Posts: 589

    Lori,

    You're right...surgery is scary. You guys will get through it just fine though!! and remember, I should be around on the day of his surgery, so check in, I'd like to know how it's going!! I'll check my facebook that day too. :0) Hope you're having a good day!

    Cathy

    thanks
    I need encourgement william has scared the poop out of me but yet i see living proof of you and him, I know these tubes won't be forever, but knowing and thinking the worst and sitting all day is the worse. I will try to check in thursday night or friday. i will have mylaptop so i plan to check in.

    thanks
    Lori
  • MOE58 said:

    thanks
    I need encourgement william has scared the poop out of me but yet i see living proof of you and him, I know these tubes won't be forever, but knowing and thinking the worst and sitting all day is the worse. I will try to check in thursday night or friday. i will have mylaptop so i plan to check in.

    thanks
    Lori

    This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Katanna said:

    I am proof as well. Stage 4 survivor and still here after almost 5 years!

    This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • NanseB
    NanseB Member Posts: 16
    Katanna said:

    I am proof as well. Stage 4 survivor and still here after almost 5 years!

    What treatment did you go
    What treatment did you go through at Stage IV and survival after 5 years?
  • NanseB
    NanseB Member Posts: 16
    Katanna said:

    I am proof as well. Stage 4 survivor and still here after almost 5 years!

    Katanna-where did you
    Katanna-where did you receive treatment?
  • peterwebb
    peterwebb Member Posts: 1
    cissell said:

    Surgery
    I had "the biggie" - Ivor Lewis esophagectomy on March 3rd of this year. I am only 38 and had stage 2. I went through chemo and radiation prior to my surgery in hope to prevent any spreading of the cancer. I am now back at work, but I have to admit the surgery is not fun. I am still in a little pain but I just keep hoping it gets better.

    Weight Gain
    I had the 'biggie" at age 48. Three days after surgery a nurse came into my room in ICU and jammed an NG tube down my throat and punctured my stomach in two places. I developed Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS). Now only one half of one lung is functioning. I was Stage 3. I have had an incredibly hard time gaining weight. I was in the Mayo Clinic for four months in MN. Do you have any thoughts as to how to gain weight? I was a Pro Athlete prior to getting cancer.

    Thanks in advance to your thoughts and suggestions.

    Peter
  • peterwebb said:

    Weight Gain
    I had the 'biggie" at age 48. Three days after surgery a nurse came into my room in ICU and jammed an NG tube down my throat and punctured my stomach in two places. I developed Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS). Now only one half of one lung is functioning. I was Stage 3. I have had an incredibly hard time gaining weight. I was in the Mayo Clinic for four months in MN. Do you have any thoughts as to how to gain weight? I was a Pro Athlete prior to getting cancer.

    Thanks in advance to your thoughts and suggestions.

    Peter

    This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • juststandup95
    juststandup95 Member Posts: 1
    Katanna said:

    I am proof as well. Stage 4 survivor and still here after almost 5 years!

    Katanna-
    My Nana was just

    Katanna-

    My Nana was just diagnosed with Stage 4 esophageal cancer. It's been really hard for us. You're story is very inspirational. Please if you are still around on this site contact me! What was your treatment? It's so so inspirational to see that you have been so succesfful thanks for giving me hope!
  • Katanna-
    My Nana was just

    Katanna-

    My Nana was just diagnosed with Stage 4 esophageal cancer. It's been really hard for us. You're story is very inspirational. Please if you are still around on this site contact me! What was your treatment? It's so so inspirational to see that you have been so succesfful thanks for giving me hope!

    This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • yolibee
    yolibee Member Posts: 1
    your treatments
    What treatments did you do to become a survivor?

    thank you
  • efc22199
    efc22199 Member Posts: 3
    Katanna said:

    I am proof as well. Stage 4 survivor and still here after almost 5 years!

    Stage 1
    Hi Katanna that is so good to hear you are well after 5 years I had stage 2 and I've had the FULL surgery I am now looking forward to a long and happy life!!!
  • operahing
    operahing Member Posts: 1
    Katanna said:

    I am proof as well. Stage 4 survivor and still here after almost 5 years!

    Stage IV Esophageal Cancer

    What treatment did you go through at Stage IV and survival after 5 years? With or without surgery? Were there any complications?

    FYI, I have stage IV Esophageal cancer. I've already had both Chemo and Radiation treatments followed by a PET scan (one month after the last radiation, 8/17,2016), the scan took place 9/12. I will be meeting a group of surgeons to discuss whether a surgery is necessary. I would greatly appreciate if you could share your survival experience.

    Thank you.

    Kwai

     

  • ellegonzalez
    ellegonzalez Member Posts: 17
    I have stage one cancer and

    I have stage one cancer and will have surgery to remove my esophgaus on the the 19th of Oct the doctor is going to remove all of it