Welcome to the new Cancer Survivors Network website! Existing members can click HERE to review the changes and new features on CSN.

Dirty Girl Mud Run, Done!

kikz
kikz Member Posts: 1,345
Well, ladies I went to the Dirty Girl Mud Run yesterday. It was a lot of fun. I never dreamed I would be crawling through mud on my hands and knees. We started out in the middle of the pack but soon were holding up the rear. My one friend and I were unable to do most of the obstacles. My legs do not have the strength to lift my body up. It probably has a lot to do with my weight. I had to be helped out of most of the mud pits. I had that problem before cancer ever reared its ugly head. My friend has bad knees and shoulders. My other friend who is 20+ years younger stuck with us although I am sure she would have been far ahead. She actually has a foot fracture. When I spoke with my friend this morning we were laughing because I said we did pretty good, you with bad knees, the other friend with a fractured foot and me with a tumor. She said we were the walking wounded.

The clean up was interesting; dozens of women in varying stages of undress. A PVC pipe with water shooting straight up at one-foot intervals was the rinse station. I tried to rinse as best I could and finally told my friends that I was taking my clothes off. I removed my pants and then turned to a woman next to me and said; I had cancer I guess I can take my clothes off. She said hardly anybody had seen her without her clothes as she undressed. It was a liberating experience.

We want to do it again but hopefully will sign up for the Kiss Me Dirty Run which if for gynecological cancers.

This morning after one washing my white bra with the brown stain is now a beige bra and my top and pants have gritty residue. They are in for a second wash. My friend told me her clothes came out clean so I can’t do less.

It was a great day. I have wanted to do something different and this fit the bill. I will post some pictures when I get them.

Karen

Comments

  • lovesanimals
    lovesanimals Member Posts: 1,365
    You did good, Karen!
    I feel so proud of you, and your two friends! You stepped out of your comfort zone in a huge way - mud, taking clothes off - it must have been very gratifying and done for a good cause too. Thank you for sharing with us!

    Kelly
  • Glad to be done
    Glad to be done Member Posts: 569

    You did good, Karen!
    I feel so proud of you, and your two friends! You stepped out of your comfort zone in a huge way - mud, taking clothes off - it must have been very gratifying and done for a good cause too. Thank you for sharing with us!

    Kelly

    Oh Karen I am so glad you
    Oh Karen I am so glad you had fun. If anything it was an afternoon out with your friends sharing laughs and having a great time and just not think about having cancer
  • Litapita
    Litapita Member Posts: 30

    Oh Karen I am so glad you
    Oh Karen I am so glad you had fun. If anything it was an afternoon out with your friends sharing laughs and having a great time and just not think about having cancer

    Go you!!!!!! Sounds like you
    Go you!!!!!! Sounds like you had a great time! So happy for you :)
  • ptharp
    ptharp Member Posts: 190
    I am laughing just reading
    I am laughing just reading about it. Where do you live? I was wondering if you live anywhere near me so I could go to one of those. It sounds like a blast. I bet you were laughing your heads off while you were laying in the mud.
  • kikz
    kikz Member Posts: 1,345
    ptharp said:

    I am laughing just reading
    I am laughing just reading about it. Where do you live? I was wondering if you live anywhere near me so I could go to one of those. It sounds like a blast. I bet you were laughing your heads off while you were laying in the mud.

    I live near San Jose
    in California but the run actually took place in Pleasanton. I mentioned I wanted to check out the Kiss Me Diry Mud Run which is for gyn cancers and found the next run is in April in San Jose. It looks like a blast as well and we are going to sign up. Anyone living in this area...it would be great to meet you and share a great experience. It is April 13th. Fee is $60.

    For those of you who live in different areas, the runs are held all over. Check websites for info.


    Karen
  • ptharp
    ptharp Member Posts: 190
    kikz said:

    I live near San Jose
    in California but the run actually took place in Pleasanton. I mentioned I wanted to check out the Kiss Me Diry Mud Run which is for gyn cancers and found the next run is in April in San Jose. It looks like a blast as well and we are going to sign up. Anyone living in this area...it would be great to meet you and share a great experience. It is April 13th. Fee is $60.

    For those of you who live in different areas, the runs are held all over. Check websites for info.


    Karen

    Well I live in Maine. Too
    Well I live in Maine. Too far, but I will check on the web for more information.
  • MJensen
    MJensen Member Posts: 93
    ptharp said:

    Well I live in Maine. Too
    Well I live in Maine. Too far, but I will check on the web for more information.

    I live in Santa Barbara
    I live in Santa Barbara California which isn't too far. Sure sounds like you had a great time! So happy you had such a fun weekend with friends and have something to look forward to!
  • Glad to be done
    Glad to be done Member Posts: 569
    MJensen said:

    I live in Santa Barbara
    I live in Santa Barbara California which isn't too far. Sure sounds like you had a great time! So happy you had such a fun weekend with friends and have something to look forward to!

    And don't forget to sign up
    And don't forget to sign up as a cancer survivor because we get to get dirty for free....

    I am in NY and have already signed up for ours. Our team is called dirty for the girls...