Welcome to the new Cancer Survivors Network website! Existing members can click HERE to review the changes and new features on CSN.

Burkitt's DLBC NHL

alya219
alya219 Member Posts: 3
I am new to the boards and have recently undergone treatment for Burkitts DLBC NHL and was looking on here for people who may have gone through the same thing and was unable to find anything related that was not 5+ years old. So I was just wondering if anyone on here has an experience with Burkitt's Diffused Large B-Cell Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma?

Comments

  • dixiegirl
    dixiegirl Member Posts: 1,043
    Sorry
    Not me, I have Follicular Stage 3 relapsed again...but that doesn't mean you can't stay :)

    My name is Beth and I welcome you here.

    Take care
  • alya219
    alya219 Member Posts: 3
    dixiegirl said:

    Sorry
    Not me, I have Follicular Stage 3 relapsed again...but that doesn't mean you can't stay :)

    My name is Beth and I welcome you here.

    Take care

    Thanks
    Well Beth thank you for the warm welcome, My name is Alyson. Honestly I wish I had found this months ago it would have been great to have for all those long hospital stays while I was getting chemo.

    In August I was diagnosed with stage 4 Burkitt's DLBC NHL and fortunately enough for me I was in complete remission Mid-December. I recently had my 3 month check up and will go for my CT scan in June. I was just looking to see who was out there that might have gone through it that had some insight of what I can expect. Or maybe someone I could help as well!
  • ML1234
    ML1234 Member Posts: 4
    Burkitt's DLBC NHL
    Hi alya219,

    I am new to the boards also. My husband has Burkitt's DLBC NHL. He was diagnosed in Dec 2010 and had very aggressive chemo (R-CHOP, CODOX-M/IVAC). He had a really rough time Dec-Feb because he kept getting infections due to low blood counts, one being an infection in the esophogus. He's had numerous blood transfusions and platelet transfusions. He had another PET scan early Apr and all the original lymphoma was completely gone, but there were two new spots, so he had two more rounds of chemo. His last chemo was the end of April 2011. They did another PET scan in May and one of the two spots was gone, but the second spot was still there and to our dismay there several more new spots. The Onc was going to do a different chemo called Gemcitabine and Oxliplatin, but he hasn't been able to start it because his blood counts are not high enough. He had a bone marrow biopsy two weeks ago and we got the results last week which was discouraging. He has extensive necrosis in the bone marrow, which the Onc says explains why his blood counts aren't elevating. So now the Onc doesnt want to risk doing more chemo for fear that his blood counts will not elevate once they go down, and in the meantime, the lyphoma appears to be growing. The Onc was going to consult with colleagues from Vancouver, BC and Seattle, WA to figure out what the next step is. We have the appointment to see the Onc tmrw, Jun 16 to discuss what she found out, and to check his blood counts, which is done weekly. We are praying that his blood counts are elevated regardless of the necrosis and that the Onc has positive information from her colleagues. My husband is 62 yrs old. I'm sure that everyone is different, but this has been my husband's experience with Burkitts DLBC NHL. If anyone out there has had this experience, we would like to know.
  • mema3
    mema3 Member Posts: 2
    I DID!! in 1999,been thru
    I DID!! in 1999,been thru the mill,still surviveing,,and am 58.Had a stemcell transplant after 3x's it recurring,and now it is in my neck,been watching it,but now I have to have a new therapy drug ZEVALIN,,and am trying to find someone who has had it.....How r u doing?
  • mema3
    mema3 Member Posts: 2
    ML1234 said:

    Burkitt's DLBC NHL
    Hi alya219,

    I am new to the boards also. My husband has Burkitt's DLBC NHL. He was diagnosed in Dec 2010 and had very aggressive chemo (R-CHOP, CODOX-M/IVAC). He had a really rough time Dec-Feb because he kept getting infections due to low blood counts, one being an infection in the esophogus. He's had numerous blood transfusions and platelet transfusions. He had another PET scan early Apr and all the original lymphoma was completely gone, but there were two new spots, so he had two more rounds of chemo. His last chemo was the end of April 2011. They did another PET scan in May and one of the two spots was gone, but the second spot was still there and to our dismay there several more new spots. The Onc was going to do a different chemo called Gemcitabine and Oxliplatin, but he hasn't been able to start it because his blood counts are not high enough. He had a bone marrow biopsy two weeks ago and we got the results last week which was discouraging. He has extensive necrosis in the bone marrow, which the Onc says explains why his blood counts aren't elevating. So now the Onc doesnt want to risk doing more chemo for fear that his blood counts will not elevate once they go down, and in the meantime, the lyphoma appears to be growing. The Onc was going to consult with colleagues from Vancouver, BC and Seattle, WA to figure out what the next step is. We have the appointment to see the Onc tmrw, Jun 16 to discuss what she found out, and to check his blood counts, which is done weekly. We are praying that his blood counts are elevated regardless of the necrosis and that the Onc has positive information from her colleagues. My husband is 62 yrs old. I'm sure that everyone is different, but this has been my husband's experience with Burkitts DLBC NHL. If anyone out there has had this experience, we would like to know.

    Hi alya2,
    Just wanted to

    Hi alya2,
    Just wanted to also say,that back in 1999,when they discovered I had NHL/BURKITTS DISEASE,,they went to do surgery to remove a soccerball size tumor in my belly,,but closed me back up,cause my lymphoma had metastized everywhere,,,it was hopeless! I wasn't aware of this''at the time'',and my family pleaded with dr.'s to ''do chemo anyway''!! They did it,just to satisfy my family,,it was CHOP,,,it wasn't fun,,,but for a person who wasn't supposed to live out the week,,,THAT WAS 12 YEARS AGO!!The tumor shrunk,the lymphoma went away,,,A TRUE MIRACLE!!! Yup,I had it recurr 3x's since then,had treatments,which finally resulted in a stemcell transplanat,and was GOOD until last year,,had it recurr,but have been monitoring it! In between,I had kidney cancer and had my right kidney removed,but didn't have chemo or anything!! NOW though,it is progressing and growing,and causeing problems in my neck,so they want to try this Zevalin,,,and MAYBE something else,,trial stuff!!! Radiation beam is too risky for me,due to where it is located,,,so MAYBE I will do teh Zevalin,,,gotta get some people who've had it done,cause I hear good and really bad reports???.....My point to your husband,,,DON'T GIVE UP!!! And its all about ATTITUDE!!! If you give in to this,and think you are going to die,,it WILL affect your recovery!!! YUP,the medicines and wonders of modern day drugs,are wonderful,,,but if you don't maintain a ''kickass,positive attitude'',,,it'll get you!!! WE CAN live with this!! I am liveing proof!!!! Good luck to your husband,,,and if I can help here on this board,,PLEASE LET ME!!! I'll even give you my [email protected] My name is Debbie,,,feel free to correspond...............and if there is anybody out there that has experienced the Zevalin,,I'd really like to hear from you Goodnight,
  • pruds
    pruds Member Posts: 1
    mema3 said:

    I DID!! in 1999,been thru
    I DID!! in 1999,been thru the mill,still surviveing,,and am 58.Had a stemcell transplant after 3x's it recurring,and now it is in my neck,been watching it,but now I have to have a new therapy drug ZEVALIN,,and am trying to find someone who has had it.....How r u doing?

    Mom has Burkitts
    Mom was told about 1 month ago that the chemo worked and killed all of the cancer. Went to U of Michigan this week and was told the complete opposite and that she didn't have long. Cancer had filled her spine and is giving her double vision. She is tough and will not give up nor will the family but would be great to hear if anyone has had this problem. They say chemo won't work again, but I would like to think differently. Any unconventional remedies that anyone knows of? They never tried radiation yet either. Please let me know your thoughts.

    Thanks,

    Erik
  • KC13167
    KC13167 Member Posts: 215
    pruds said:

    Mom has Burkitts
    Mom was told about 1 month ago that the chemo worked and killed all of the cancer. Went to U of Michigan this week and was told the complete opposite and that she didn't have long. Cancer had filled her spine and is giving her double vision. She is tough and will not give up nor will the family but would be great to hear if anyone has had this problem. They say chemo won't work again, but I would like to think differently. Any unconventional remedies that anyone knows of? They never tried radiation yet either. Please let me know your thoughts.

    Thanks,

    Erik

    Erik,
    What a conflict. If I

    Erik,

    What a conflict. If I were in your Mom's shoes, I would go for another opinion. Talk about ends of the spectrum, my goodness. Does someone accompany your Mom to her appointments? I ask because sometimes the discussions can be overwhelming for only one set of ears.

    I will pray for you and your family.
    Kellie
  • Jartal
    Jartal Member Posts: 6
    Burkitt's in Miami
    Hi my name is Julio I'm 52 yrs old. I've always been an outgoing sporty person. I enjoyed yoga and working out. My story goes likes this. 4 months ago as I was riding my scooter back from work I hit a pothole and my back started aching. Not imagining anything other than a back pain, the pain never went away. Finally I had an MRI and it revealed a tumor compressing my spine and paralyzingly my legs. The tumor turned out to be Burkitt's lymphoma. I had 8 days of radiation that burnt my throat making it extremely painful to eat. Because of this I lost 50 lbs.

    I started chemotherapy that last for 5 to 6 days at a time. After chemotherapy they give me 2 weeks off at home. I have a very supportive life partner of 17 yrs and would not be here without him. He has carried me through day after day. However, I still find myself very depressed and can not find the light at the end of the tunnel. Many times I just rather not go through this. All I do is cry. I can not stop crying. Is this normal? If it weren't for my partner I wouldn't be here. Does anyone else feel this way? In a week I go back into hospital for chemotherapy. I am seeking advice of those who are or have been where I am. My life now feels like I am constantly hitting a blocked wall.
  • sueskis22
    sueskis22 Member Posts: 1
    burkitt's
    I was diagnosed with Burkitt's in 2008. Treatment was horrible but I survived it and then was on rituxan for 2 years and now am in complete remission. Where are you in your treatment? I had the most toxic chemo and got several infections that almost killed me (sepsis, cellulitis, arachnoiditis to mention a few) but here I am 3 years later alive and thriving.
    I would urge ANYONE to go to Beth Israel in Boston, a Harvard Hospital, and ask for Dr. Robin Joyce. She is the smartest, funniest, most empathetic doctor of them all. She will save your life.
  • BLSJEFF
    BLSJEFF Member Posts: 3
    Jartal said:

    Burkitt's in Miami
    Hi my name is Julio I'm 52 yrs old. I've always been an outgoing sporty person. I enjoyed yoga and working out. My story goes likes this. 4 months ago as I was riding my scooter back from work I hit a pothole and my back started aching. Not imagining anything other than a back pain, the pain never went away. Finally I had an MRI and it revealed a tumor compressing my spine and paralyzingly my legs. The tumor turned out to be Burkitt's lymphoma. I had 8 days of radiation that burnt my throat making it extremely painful to eat. Because of this I lost 50 lbs.

    I started chemotherapy that last for 5 to 6 days at a time. After chemotherapy they give me 2 weeks off at home. I have a very supportive life partner of 17 yrs and would not be here without him. He has carried me through day after day. However, I still find myself very depressed and can not find the light at the end of the tunnel. Many times I just rather not go through this. All I do is cry. I can not stop crying. Is this normal? If it weren't for my partner I wouldn't be here. Does anyone else feel this way? In a week I go back into hospital for chemotherapy. I am seeking advice of those who are or have been where I am. My life now feels like I am constantly hitting a blocked wall.

    Come join our group.
    Hi all Burkitts patients and care givers. We are a group of over 200 Burkitts patients, survivors and caregivers. Come find us on Facebook. We call ourselves "Burkitts Lymphoma Society private group" But just find the "Burkitts Lymphoma Society" on facebook and I will send you to the group...
  • dianneDiB
    dianneDiB Member Posts: 2
    Husband just diagnosed with Burkitt lympoma
    Hello-It's less than a week since the diagnosis so if anyone would like to contact me-whether you or someone you love has had Burkitts-or if you are now being treated- I would certainly appreciate the company. alya, since it's been a year for your husband I look forward to hearing what is hopefully good news. In any case I welcome your comments.
  • dianneDiB
    dianneDiB Member Posts: 2
    Husband just diagnosed with Burkitt lympoma
    Hello-It's less than a week since the diagnosis so if anyone would like to contact me-whether you or someone you love has had Burkitts-or if you are now being treated- I would certainly appreciate the company. alya, since it's been a year for your husband I look forward to hearing what is hopefully good news. In any case I welcome your comments.