Jun 11, 2014 - 8:56 pm
Hello fellow travelers,
I'm bummed out, and could use a sympathetic ear.
A bit of background: UPSC stage 4 due to swollen paraaortic lymph nodes that could not be removed. Total hysterectomy Nov 2012, chemo, and external IMRT radiation. NED CT Scan Dec 2013; but does say malrotated small bowel. Ever since surgery, then worse after radiation, BIG problem with constipation. Neither laxatives, high fiber diet, nor stool softeners help. Neither gyn/onc nor PCP had much in the way of helpful advice. Best relief from acupuncture, abdominal massage, and Chinese herbs. Once I had a hard, blocked area lower left, once lower right, each relieved after acupuncture and herbs. About a week ago I felt a hard tender area between the sternum and navel with (as in the other cases) nausea, lack of appetite, increased difficulty with bowel movements ( non productive urges.). This time the acupuncturist said it didn't respond to treatment, and thought à med Dr needed to check it out. Ordinarily I'd hold off until my gym/Onc appt Jun 30th (unless it got much worse), but we're scheduled to pick up our granddaughters this Sunday, and be away for 2 weeks.
I couldn't get an appt with my PCP (of course) so I went My husband's PCP, who is familiar with my situation. (My husband has mild dementia.) Much to my chagrin, after feeling around she too thought there might be a problem. She ordered ana abdominal x-ray, which showed fecal matter to the right of the tender area, and clear below. As she said, it could be fecal matter, or a blockage (mass, lymph nodes, or ???). She suggested a CT scan to further investigate, and said she will communicate with the gyn/Onc for her to decide. In the meantime I have a CT Scan appt for tomorrow.
IF I wasn't going to pick up our granddaughters to head to the beach (4 hours away) I would definitely wait on this and see how it goes. But if we get the beach and it gets worse it would be a mess. My husband no longer drives on highways, and my son lives 3 hours from us in the other direction. Bummer, bummer. We and the girls have been planning our Summer week for months.
I told my husband I am going for a test tomorrow but he doesn't really comprehend the possibilities (which is just as well.). I haven't said anything yet to family, as hopefully "it will all come out in the end" (ha ha). So I thought of sharing here, as I feel you will understand.
I appreciate being able to unload my situation.