Jun 04, 2014 - 9:04 am
I had my first radiation in 2002 / 180rads for 35 days for a total of 6,300rads and my second radiation in 2004 / 110rads twice a day for 35 days for total of 7,700rads. That is a total of 14,000rads to the head in just under 2 years. I am now ten years out from my last treatment June 3, 2014 and have a ton of side effects from the radiation. Here are just a few
1. I can’t open my Jaw more than ½ and no doctor will touch me to try to help
2. I lost the ability to swallow and now use a PEG tube for life
3. I lost my hearing in both ears
4. I have problems seeing but can still drive myself any place I want to go
5. I can’t gain weight
6. I have dyslexia
7. I have pain on the side of my head where there was no C
8. I lost all my strength and need others to do little things like open a bottle for me.
9. I have a really bad smell always coming out of my nasal area
10. I have little to no saliva and when I do get a little I can’t swallow it.
11. I can’t spit without holding my noise, air leaks out
12. I have a hole in my upper palate that just started and it hurts all the time
13. I live on pain pills
All in all I am still alive, I can still work some at the desk, I can still do things I love to do. Like building things with my grandchildren and fishing with my Son and going home to see my family and taking part in Church Service. Life is hard sometimes very hard but I am alive and that is most importance and I am a part of my Children and Grandchildren lifes.