Nov 21, 2013 - 7:54 pm
I posted earlier this week about my dads recent diagnosis and we now have some progress. Tuesday dad was told he is T2N1M- still unknown. We are set for 5 weeks of chemo and radiation. He goes for the full CT and PET scan wednesday next week. However, we have been asking about the pathology reports we were told that the biopsy didnt get a large enough section of the tumor, but the needle aspiration obtained "some tumor cells" that were su****ious + the Endoscopic ultrasound doctors opnion from visulalizing the area that it was Cancer positive. Tuesday, the Esophageal surgeon said even with the su****ion of it being cancer he wants the full course of treatment to include surgery. Better to error on the side of caution. Dad is ok with the chemo/radiation but would rather forgo the surgery if he could. The surgeon says No, im quite sure you have cancer and even preventitively this is the best option. Today I get the phone call that the final biopsy report is "inconclusive".
They are hesitent to try another scope as it took two attempts ( over 2.5 weeks) to get this last biopsy, due to his excessive narrowing and stricture etc.
Has anyone had an inconclusive biopsy, but had every doctor so sure it was cancer?
Is waiting a few weeks to possibly get the same results worth it? Or since early agressive treatment is the best treatment would you stay the course and nip this in the bud. Wont the PET scan be a little more conclusive? I pray it is and that it shows no other organ involvement.
Whats your opinion/thoughts on this.
I am in the process of trying to get a second opinion, but ultimately, dad and I agree that he will do chemo/radation/surgery as a precaution if thats what everyone comes up with. Wouldnt want forgo anything being hopeful and end up being wrong. The initial diagnosis left us devistated and dad scared and hopeless then just when we start working through it and getting our direction figured out; becoming hopeful we get this. Its confusing all over again now....